Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!

Hi, I want to post some pictures of my project I started in Austria: Absolutely minimized rigide cars - one chassis with either nitro engine or brushless motor - but 4wd.

Many other people did drive my cars and: absolute easy to drive and a lot of fun!

I think this is a chance for beginners, youth and all who dont care to maintain the suspensioned cars: races with free choice of motor / engine (power needs to be limited, of course to give equal chances).

Isnt this an idea and worth for further discussion?

Or have a look at: fb.com/buriracer
Attached Thumbnails New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f40-4wd_1.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f40-4wd_2.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f40-4wd_07.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f41e_01.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f41e_05.jpg  

vbshredder and Joksa like this.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Oh god... The endless stream of new classes
Old 09-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TomAT,

The idea is good and could work in your area. However, there will always be detractors just like you have seen with post #2 to your thread. The main thing is to build the class and rules and stick to them. The first time you deviate from the rules one iota, the class is done. If you do have to make changes to the rules, get a general agreement to any changes from the racers that are racing and supporting the class regularly, not the fly-by-night racers that are looking to mold the class to what they want, then once the train wreck has happened, they walk away from the class while leaving you to clean up the rubble.
DRTMI likes this.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I like your car a lot yet, it reminds me of the Kyosho Fantom 20 4wd of the early 80s.

This concept exists in the Motonica P8F and the prototype BP 4wd pan car (they used to develope their upcoming suspension car). I think your best bet is to take it to as many tracks and run it, see what the racers think.

As stated previously, rules should be established that need to be adhered to. No evolution of rules. Look at the rc F1 of the 90s we all had to run silver can 540 motors, now the class is nuts - too many different motor/esc/battery classes, widths etc.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Excellent idea !! I hope it catches on!! How much are you going to be selling the kits???
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your response! Its fine to get pros and cons!

In the moment I check all the possibilities to organize and sell my rigide 4wds in a first lot of 25 up to 50 kits in electric version and 20 up to 30 in nitro version. As written before, the cars shall be equal in lap- and runtimes to realize open races with duration of approx. 8 minutes.

All in all there shall be one basic chassis with either electric or nitro upgrade possibility. And, especially for beginners a RTR version of each electric and nitro. For this my target price level is below 400 euros (approx 500U$). My main interest is to reach the youth and beginners who dont care (or dont have the expirience) to adjust setups or refill the absorbers but just want to have the simple fun. Thats the reason to design the cars as minimized as possible (for example the rear axle is a solid tube, the main gear and all the other parts can be put together without tools).

As I am working as a teacher in a technical highschool, I dont have the resources to produce by myself, nor I have the money to prepay the whole first lot! For this I check to find a cooperation with a model cars company or to organize all with a web-startup project (like kickstarter).
Attached Thumbnails New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f40-4wd_01.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Like it a lot, don't get discouraged. If you have a following some major manufacturer will pick up and start selling some kits! I noticed foam tires, they might be a little overwhelming for beginners (cost is a big issue for beginners I think) so what about rubber tires? Also I would ditch the nitro option because of complex linkages. Its easier to maintain shocks than the nitro stuff for newbies.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Tech Lord

Motonica has a flat chassis 4wd
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, Motonica and also BP have a classic 4wd and they didnt sell more than 2 kits...
The reason: these cars are too close to the suspensioned ones with 3 belts. Also the price is by far too high.

My idea is to find back to the minimum of parts, maintenance and costs - the durability and performance of these simple cars is not bad.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Lord

I think the lack of supporting classes is the reason of less populairity.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default some more pictures

First my V3 with a divided rear axle (to get toe and camber on the rear) after a race with Mugen, Serpent ....
It is about 1.5 to 2.0 sec slower laptimes than the tops - without 2-speed and with a 5-port OPS engine and fuel stops after 7.5 minutes.

Second the electric version with a smaller 1680W / 2300KV motor and 120A esc.
Enough power to have a lot of fun. Top speed on the straight for the MORAC-Graz track checked with radar gun: 97 km/h
Attached Thumbnails New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-v3.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-v3_2.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f41e_1.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f41e_2.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-f41e_3.jpg  

Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
TomAT,

The idea is good and could work in your area. However, there will always be detractors just like you have seen with post #2 to your thread. The main thing is to build the class and rules and stick to them. The first time you deviate from the rules one iota, the class is done. If you do have to make changes to the rules, get a general agreement to any changes from the racers that are racing and supporting the class regularly, not the fly-by-night racers that are looking to mold the class to what they want, then once the train wreck has happened, they walk away from the class while leaving you to clean up the rubble.

SO SO true.

What bodies are you going with? that may be a way to get more exposure maybe go with something more realistic looking. DAytona prototype, scale LM (962's) I am sucker for scale looking cars. AS said before you gotta stick to your guns and roll with it, try and get some exhibition runs at some national events and let the top drivers race against each other for bragging rights. IMO foam tires are cheap and make the driving experience much easier. Handout tires with no truing allowed may help with that. I have the same dream but would like a new gen F1 replica class!

As far as production goes i can help with some things I have my own CNC machines.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Coming soon: BURI-Racers 1/8

One absolutely simple basic chassis with upgrade options for electric or nitro!

The engineering is finished and the production of the first lot starts now.

The rollout will be at the Race of Champions, April 24-26th 2015, at the Stöhr-Ring in Austria!
Attached Thumbnails New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-buri-racrer_100.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-buri-racrer_010_e.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-buri-racrer_020_v.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-buri-racrer_050_rtr-e.jpg   New 1/8th 4WD basic class ???!!!-buri-racrer_060_rtr-v.jpg  

vbshredder likes this.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Tom,

That looks great, will most of the parts come from in house? You are close to SMP, as such I am curious if Osvaldo may be able to offer you any assitance or insight. Will you offer the Nitro and Brushless parts all in one kit?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TomAT
Coming soon: BURI-Racers 1/8

One absolutely simple basic chassis with upgrade options for electric or nitro!

The engineering is finished and the production of the first lot starts now.

The rollout will be at the Race of Champions, April 24-26th 2015, at the Stöhr-Ring in Austria!
..................Wow !! That looks great , how much will you be selling them for??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.