Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Scale On-road

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies. Had the triger cocked then I read you replies. I will try and lean out tomorrow. If I can't get it going, its off the the hobby shop. Had someone coming over tomorrow till something came up. Not true about the estate. 14yo son knows exactly what I have. I was giving him the ntc3 this year. he was running a hpi ss3. No comparison. If this keeps up, I'm taking the tc3 back.(YeAH RIGHT).
Old 01-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Serpent in effect

What's up Ceasar. Been practicing lately? Did you get a message on your c-phone? I was just wondering if I had the right one. Anyway, I was at Ian's and they sold another 950. It went to someone that was on their list. It is definitely a car in demand, I'm just gonna have to wait. I hope you had a nice New Year. Drop me a line, I am going to KZ Speedway tomorrow Sunday and checkout the action. Take care!
Old 01-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by CHUCKMANDO
[NIP refers to "new in package" I paid $90 for it

Duh, I thinks me need a brain NIB. lol . Thanks, I may take you up on it. I remember someone at the track saying they had a new one too. My friend has his number, if he doesn't want to sell I will probably take you up on it, thanks. Ran into what may be a problem. In taking off the propeller, we stuck a hex with fuel tubing on it to stop the piston from turning, since we couldn't get it off. There is a slight nick on the top edge of the piston. Engine starts up pretty well, esp since my box isn't the greatest. You hear and feel the compression when turning it by hand. Will this do more harm to the engine if I start to lean it out and run like this? I Added a shim, since the centax wasput on by an expiranced racer, but the car still didn't engage. in fact, the pinon and spur seemed to begoing slightly in reverse. But the few times it engaged for a second, according to my son, it went fhe right way. It is raining here as usual and I cannot go out and play.
Thanks again
Chuckman, I hope that the nick on the piston does not have any high sport on it as it will create stress risers that will result in preignition and curtail your engine life.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Evo4 MS

Hello Kevin, I myself also have an Evo4 MS. Very fast engine and I am not even running it at race temp. yet. I think I will save it though as a "race only engine". I have an RX 21 that I will make into my everyday practice engine although I havent tried it yet, I still need to break it in somemore. Do you know of anyone that has tried the Collari Innotech engines? I know that they are Picco based but that is all and also the price is very reasonable. Let me know what you think. BTW, I am always at Revelation so I will see you there.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah that stuff worries me a bit too, but what can you do now? Charles san, may I suggest you hit up the Paris site, there's tons of info regarding engine setup from the man himself and they've got a good method to lock up the piston, etc., everything you'll want to know...

http://www.parisracing.com/tipspage.htm

Gonzo, I might be at KZ tomorrow too, might bring out the sedan, getting ready for the Sedan Challenge Feb.1. Come out, it's a cool track.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Serpent in effect

Originally posted by gonzoeffect
What's up Ceasar. Been practicing lately? Did you get a message on your c-phone? I was just wondering if I had the right one. Anyway, I was at Ian's and they sold another 950. It went to someone that was on their list. It is definitely a car in demand, I'm just gonna have to wait. I hope you had a nice New Year. Drop me a line, I am going to KZ Speedway tomorrow Sunday and checkout the action. Take care!
Hey Alvin,

Yup, been playing with the mtx3 last couple of weeks as you know. But rebuilt the EV5 and I'm gonna start breaking it in at Rev. this week. Can't put the 8th scale away for too long. I'll give you a call tomorrow and see how KZ is. BTW, did not get your message.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default EVO5

Well a little good new at least. Put different pipe on the engine and a big improvement. Fuel not shooting out of the carb anymore. Had a friend help with the tuning. Ran a little. Seemed to have nice pickup. Haven't hit second yet. I tried a couple of times but thats when the engine would bog. I didn't make any other adjustments as it started to snow. Engine did stall a couple of times. To my not to well trained ear, it didn't sound bad at all. I did noticed when I stopped the car, the idle seemed noticeably higher than when I started. Of course I put 2 very small scratches on the chasis. Car handled pretty well, but not enough speed to really tell. Nickon piston bothers me. I think I may get a piston and sleeve. If the car hold tune, I may change them when I have to change the conrod. Am I being too cautious?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: EVO5

Well a little good new at least. Put different pipe on the engine and a big improvement. Fuel not shooting out of the carb anymore. Had a friend help with the tuning. Ran a little. Seemed to have nice pickup. Haven't hit second yet. I tried a couple of times but thats when the engine would bog. I didn't make any other adjustments as it started to snow. Engine did stall a couple of times. To my not to well trained ear, it didn't sound bad at all. I did noticed when I stopped the car, the idle seemed noticeably higher than when I started. Of course I put 2 very small scratches on the chasis. Car handled pretty well, but not enough speed to really tell. Nickon piston bothers me. I think I may get a piston and sleeve. If the car hold tune, I may change them when I have to change the conrod. Am I being too cautious?
What kind of temp where you are at right now? If it's too cold, you might as well wait till Spring or Summer, trying to tune a motor in cold weather doesn't work, doesn't matter how hot a plug you use. If you normally run in the hotter weather, then wait and break-in/tune your motor when it's close to the same temp when you do race it. Like a said, tuning a motor in cold winter is a waste of time and energy.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: EVO5

Originally posted by litespeed-dom
What kind of temp where you are at right now? If it's too cold, you might as well wait till Spring or Summer, trying to tune a motor in cold weather doesn't work, doesn't matter how hot a plug you use. If you normally run in the hotter weather, then wait and break-in/tune your motor when it's close to the same temp when you do race it. Like a said, tuning a motor in cold winter is a waste of time and energy.
Thanks litespeed,
It was around 30. when we broke in the engine last week, it was in the 40s
I am like a little kid with this. So impatient.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: EVO5

Thanks litespeed,
It was around 30. when we broke in the engine last week, it was in the 40s
I am like a little kid with this. So impatient.
I totally understand! My first RB X12 was broken-in in extreme cold couple of years ago, that motor never worked right. After that I swear I'll never break-in a motor in the winter! I don't blame you for being impatient. I have a couple of "team" motors need to be broken in right now sittin on my bench, can't wait..... but MUST resist!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Default Question about rody modified .21

I know the rody modified engines are supposed to broken in before being sold to the customer right? But I have a Rody that seems like it has very little compression as is relatively new, when cold I can turn the piston over with my fingers on the crank.

Is this normal for these motors when relatively new?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question about rody modified .21

Originally posted by patelladragger
I know the rody modified engines are supposed to broken in before being sold to the customer right? But I have a Rody that seems like it has very little compression as is relatively new, when cold I can turn the piston over with my fingers on the crank.

Is this normal for these motors when relatively new?
2 years ago, I had a Rody mod C4 from over the counter and it was not broken in, and it was tight as hell. Where did you get your motor? I don't think it's normal. On the other hand, I have a Rody mod team driver motor right now and it was not broken in and it's extremely tight.

Even with the glow plug out, my team motor is stil relatively tight.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Question about rody modified .21

Originally posted by litespeed-dom
2 years ago, I had a Rody mod C4 from over the counter and it was not broken in, and it was tight as hell. Where did you get your motor? I don't think it's normal. On the other hand, I have a Rody mod team driver motor right now and it was not broken in and it's extremely tight.

Even with the glow plug out, my team motor is stil relatively tight.
My C4 was too tight and my Team C4 "broke in" much easier. Supposedly the Team Rody's are dynoed, but I don't know if that means a full break in. However, it's actually comforting knowing the motor's been started at the factory in my mind, because my stock C4 came with a defective/damaged o-ring, while the Team was perfect. It may be a good question for Rody himself, he seems to respond to good questions at the RB site:

http://www.rbproducts.com/rbww/ubb/c...ultimatebb.cgi
Old 01-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default EVO5 UPDATE

Well, still being scared about the whole piston deal, I took out the engine and brought it to my lhs,( not where I bought it either, since he basically sells O.S.). In checking we did not see any bind. Hopefully it should be ok. But there were some metal fragments inside. We never cleaned it out before breakin. He suggested I do that. Of cousre I have never done this before. Are the any tips anyone has before I try?

I am may also order a new piston, sleeve and conrod soon, just in case.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 01-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: EVO5 UPDATE

Well, still being scared about the whole piston deal, I took out the engine and brought it to my lhs,( not where I bought it either, since he basically sells O.S.). In checking we did not see any bind. Hopefully it should be ok. But there were some metal fragments inside. We never cleaned it out before breakin. He suggested I do that. Of cousre I have never done this before. Are the any tips anyone has before I try?

I am may also order a new piston, sleeve and conrod soon, just in case.

Thanks
Charlie
The metal shavings you found is normal during breaking in. I bought mine last month(Jp). When i got it, i was really exicted to fire up that baby. but then, i don't have any experience breaking-in mod engines. So, i emailed Novarossi and told them if they can give me tips on how to handle this.. Sure enough, they responded:

Dear Sir,

pls. check in our website in which you will find the baseline setting
for high and low speed needle to enable you to tune the engine in the
most suitable way.

You find our website on: www.novarossi.com, english version, on the
bottom of the right side “YOUR MICROENGINE” under the voice
“CARBURATION”.

Best regards.

NOVAROSSI SNC
Luana Pezzini

Chuckmando, when you read it, you will find about the metal shavings. Simply open it up and clean it..And then start it again.. Remember, be patient..

Happy racing

Hope this helps, Edwin

Last edited by manokgt4; 01-09-2003 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.