Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

1/10th pan car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I agree everyone has his favorite and unique body colors. But there is a color which is theoretically better. Some of my buddies use it. I'm a strong believer of this too but I just could't be bothered.

Well if nobody is interested even to think and guess what this simple color is, maybe I'll close this question and think of something else to talk about. I'm sure some people who browse this thread will have some ideas though.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Simple Stupid! White of course. Less backing, little bit easier to see, and even a tad bit lighter I think
If I am wrong you people are crazy.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by carbsmith
Simple Stupid! White of course. Less backing, little bit easier to see, and even a tad bit lighter I think
If I am wrong you people are crazy.

rcethilon: you just have to go by what type of track you running. If the back grown of the track is very dark or you racing at night then a dark painted body will make the car harder to see. What hurt performance is if you made the body more heave with to much paint. So go with a bright paint.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Carbsmith - You do have a point about White being a little bit lighter but last week, we were actually weighing our bodies on SoCal’s digital scale. The difference from the lightest, thinnest painted P35 to the heaviest was only .2 of an ounce. Since most of our cars are at or just a bit under minimum weight anyway, that becomes largely irrelevant.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Well I was certain that some people like carbsmith would come out and say that the whole idea was stupid. I'm glad at least my question had been read and someone made some comments. Thanks MarkA and Taz_S for your contributions as well.

Now lets talk about it for the sake of rc discussion. I mentioned some of my buddies used this body color idea. Well my buddies are some rc maniacs who would pay attention to the finest details. Maniacs don't necessarily equate with national nor world champs. But they do come up with something that we may never have thought of and we may like to hear about.

This is the story. Spray the first layer with dense white or silver. (you guys were right). Then spray a second layer with matt black.
The first layer has to be pretty 'dense' or else the second layer of black will darken the white or silver as seen from the outside.

What does this do? It is basic science that white or silver reflects heat and sunlight. Secondly matt black absorbs heat. The whole idea is to keep the car especially the motor unit and battery under the body cover as cool as possible.

How much lower in temperature would this achieve? Nobody knows. No one has been objective enough to test it with a thermostat. Some people argue there's a point in this body color idea especially when it is used in the hot summer outdoors.

Some people would argue that the hot summer outdoors would steam and cook the entire vehicle well-done anyway no matter what you do.

Well that's it. Some people are so concerned about the 0.01 extra volt on ther cell and talk about the 0.00049 omhs resistence on ther ESC.......this body color business may not be so stupid as considered by some afterall.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Hmmmm, interesting theory.....
Old 12-10-2001, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

I'm anal, but can't live with pure white or silver! Hey what about the aerodynamic drag created by decals too?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Cool

rcethilon: theory might be right but most of the heat come from under the car not on top of the car. Just think that the air is at 100 but the grown is at 160. Then think witch one is closers to the car the ground or the body. I know with all on-road cars the car is closer to the ground then the body.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Kevin - If this caught on, it would also be very bad news for your body painting business.

Also, a reminder to all the SoCal guys, there will be Pan Car Racing tomorrow night (12/11) as well as this coming Saturday. We should have a good turnout for both classes on both days.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Mark A: I hope you have fun tomorrow racing.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks, racing is always fun...or at least it is most of the time.

FWIW, I sent an E-mail to Billy with my support for adding a 1/10th GTP class to his Speedworld Cup so we'll have to see what happens.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MarkA
Thanks, racing is always fun...or at least it is most of the time.

FWIW, I sent an E-mail to Billy with my support for adding a 1/10th GTP class to his Speedworld Cup so we'll have to see what happens.
Hey guys, when you race (if someone) has made previously with your pan car in a dusty parking lot, what kind of tyres you've used? ProLine Green/Aqua, Yokomos?

Next weekend we have and exibition on a parking lot and I want to do something more than wild wheelspins when open gas.

Maybe some Red Dot and Tyre Tweak (as I do for prepared asphalt) or only red dot? no tyre juice?

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Dust + Pan Car =

I would recommend starting out with greens all the way around as my parking lot racing experience tends to put those as the best for that sort of situation. The exotic foams (Pink, White, etc.) don't work nearly as well in a parking lot as the cheap standard ones do.

If you can find them or have some, years ago TRC made a "gold dot" tire that was specifically for parking lots and/or dirty tracks. It was about the same compound firmness wise as a Pink but was noticeably more porous.

You'll still need tire sauce but if it's really dusty, they all seem to work about the same.

You could also take some old lexan and really build the back wing/spoiler up as well.

I don’t know what kind of car you have, but softening the center shock on the rear can help the car get more bite while accelerating.

Hope that all can help somewhat.

Last edited by MarkA; 12-10-2001 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Taz_S, yeah it's only theory. I mentioned some days ago that even I could't be bothered to try out this myself. This will never catch on. Well it's fun just to be a bit academic and share an idea that is far fetched once a while.

By the way my buddies don't use white and silver as the first coat. They use just any color but they do add a second layer of matt black. I'm still waiting to see a purist.

Corse-R, maybe I'd like to add that if the track is too dusty, ultimately it is just not deemed suitable for racing at all no matter what you try.

People have used softer tires with lots of traction additives on these situations. But there's a limit to this. If the tires are so soft and sticky, they very quickly become entirely coated with a film of dust..... more quickly than if you used a harder compound without any additives at all. Your car starts to go nuts before the first lap is over.

You may try to 'soften' the chassis with softer springs and lighter shock oil plus creating a higher body wing.

But again a dirty track is not meant for pancars. You'll just get frustrated and pull out the tc from the back of your car then.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

I was just thinking, maybe we should get the moderators to move us out of here and into the regular On-Road forum. There might be other people that want to talk 1/10th GTP Pan Cars but don’t know that we’re exiled to the “Oval, Larger Scales and More” area.

Moderators, if you see this, any comment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.