Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

New Build - Losi 5ive-B vs Kraken Vekta.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I owned a Vekta for quite a while, and Travis sent me a prototype of his brushless conversion (Wheelman Designz) once upon a time. I had every single hopup available on it. Ended up having to sell it to fund some business expenses. It’s certainly impressive and beautiful to look at. Don’t go into one thinking it won’t need alloy upgrades right away, as you will want a few hundred worth to keep it rolling. I constantly broke stuff.

Im getting back into it now and am putting together a brushless 5ive-b. I always really loved my 1/8th electric buggy, the handling and fun factor was through the roof. To scale that up into a 1/5th sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Sounds a lot more durable, not to mention much lighter with longer run times. Goes hand in hand.

If you want to stick to 8s, go 5ive-b for sure. If you want long run times, go 12s and 5ive-b. If you want wow factor and scale realism and sheer impressiveness, go Vekta. The Facebook group for the Kraken is good, good bunch of guys. I used to run forums for it, but I think they’re gone now.

DDM will have their 5ive-b in stock very shortly, they are in customs right now.

Good luck!

Lyle
rudebwoyfishman likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lylefk
I owned a Vekta for quite a while, and Travis sent me a prototype of his brushless conversion (Wheelman Designz) once upon a time. I had every single hopup available on it. Ended up having to sell it to fund some business expenses. It’s certainly impressive and beautiful to look at. Don’t go into one thinking it won’t need alloy upgrades right away, as you will want a few hundred worth to keep it rolling. I constantly broke stuff.

Im getting back into it now and am putting together a brushless 5ive-b. I always really loved my 1/8th electric buggy, the handling and fun factor was through the roof. To scale that up into a 1/5th sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Sounds a lot more durable, not to mention much lighter with longer run times. Goes hand in hand.

If you want to stick to 8s, go 5ive-b for sure. If you want long run times, go 12s and 5ive-b. If you want wow factor and scale realism and sheer impressiveness, go Vekta. The Facebook group for the Kraken is good, good bunch of guys. I used to run forums for it, but I think they’re gone now.

DDM will have their 5ive-b in stock very shortly, they are in customs right now.

Good luck!

Lyle
Yeah Lyle. I’m actually in the process of building from scratch, a 5ive-T 2.0 brushless. I’m calling it Project COVID. Lol. I have my email notifications setup for when the 5ive-B is back in stock at DDM. I really want one!

As far as the Vekta goes, you’re absolutely right! Wicked cool factor and an impressive vehicle with scale realism. I’m also waiting for a DDM Deal of the Day to get one of these...just because. Definitely gonna be a Wheelman Designs and MGM build. I really like the MGM packages and pure quality and function. I just bought their drop in 8S package for my Limitless, so that should be fun.

Once I get back from my trip to the east coast to pick up my daughter, I’ll post up some pics of the various builds I’ve got going on. Had to stay busy during quarantine.

Franz
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rudebwoyfishman
Yeah Lyle. I’m actually in the process of building from scratch, a 5ive-T 2.0 brushless. I’m calling it Project COVID. Lol. I have my email notifications setup for when the 5ive-B is back in stock at DDM. I really want one!

As far as the Vekta goes, you’re absolutely right! Wicked cool factor and an impressive vehicle with scale realism. I’m also waiting for a DDM Deal of the Day to get one of these...just because. Definitely gonna be a Wheelman Designs and MGM build. I really like the MGM packages and pure quality and function. I just bought their drop in 8S package for my Limitless, so that should be fun.

Once I get back from my trip to the east coast to pick up my daughter, I’ll post up some pics of the various builds I’ve got going on. Had to stay busy during quarantine.

Franz
Get onto to Wheelman on Facebook, i think he sells MGM packages for the Vekta, not sure, but he sells very nice carbon fibre parts for it. The MGM carbon ESC mount looks very nice, and the carbon battery tray will reduce weight up top.
RCMAX in the UK have their branded alloy parts, along with all the JS Performance and Vertigo upgrades
Old 05-16-2020, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gavsta72
Get onto to Wheelman on Facebook, i think he sells MGM packages for the Vekta, not sure, but he sells very nice carbon fibre parts for it. The MGM carbon ESC mount looks very nice, and the carbon battery tray will reduce weight up top.
RCMAX in the UK have their branded alloy parts, along with all the JS Performance and Vertigo upgrades
I been in contact with Travis, Gav. Already have a plan for electronics selection.
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

DDM got their 5ive-b stock up on the website today, I've got one coming!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 AM
Tech Rookie

DDM got their 5ive-b stock up on the website today, I've got one coming!
yes about to order one myself now. I was looking at a MCD Racing RR5 but I think the Losi 5IVE-B is better supported. I’ve been waiting on email notification for a while for ddm to restock these 5B. I wonder how long they are going to continue to sell them? My dream would be to have two, one runner and one roller for later! Haha
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

DDM plans to carry them going forward, but they've had to talk Horizon into keeping them going twice, so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

DDM plans to carry them going forward, but they've had to talk Horizon into keeping them going twice, so I wouldn't count on it.
I talked to Steve and he said he currently has about a year or so worth stock in the 5ive-B kits. I’m sure he’ll continue the private label deal with HH.

Last edited by rudebwoyfishman; 05-23-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

I went and bought myself yet another 5iveB also yesterday. I couldn't resist

Nothing flash, jsut the TLR brushless kit along with a max5 and the big Leopard 58113 870kv
Old 05-23-2020, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gavsta72
I went and bought myself yet another 5iveB also yesterday. I couldn't resist

Nothing flash, jsut the TLR brushless kit along with a max5 and the big Leopard 58113 870kv
Always figured you would Gav! The price is just too right.
gavsta72 likes this.