Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
New Build - Losi 5ive-B vs Kraken Vekta.5 >

New Build - Losi 5ive-B vs Kraken Vekta.5

Like Tree22Likes

New Build - Losi 5ive-B vs Kraken Vekta.5

Old 03-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Build - Losi 5ive-B vs Kraken Vekta.5

So Iíve been contemplating the next build and this is one that I actually would prefer to build from parts bags so I can really customize certain things as I go along.

Iíve got my eye on two vehicles: the TLR 5ive-B ($750) and the Kraken Vekta.5 ($1199)...both from DDM Racing. Either one will be brushless and up to 12S capable.

I like the TLR for the proven platform but I also really like the Vekta.5 for all the out the box upgrades you get. Obviously the price on both reflect that.

Before even purchasing any electronics, I could easily spend another $4-500 on mechanical upgrades to the 5ive-B. Iíd say maybe $250 for the Vekta.5.

The money goes up though when looking at the brushless conversion kits. The TLR kit is $150 and the Wheelman Designz kit for the Vekta.5 is about $450.

So once you get the base vehicle with some mechanical upgrades and the brushless conversion kit, youíre looking at ~$1400 for the 5ive-B and ~$1900 for the Vekta.5.

If I used the same electronics on both, letís say a Leo 58113 v2 and ZTW Beast Pro 300A, thatís about $500 for the combo. The 5ive-B runs two steering servos (letís go with Hi-Tec 845WPs ~$100 ea) while the Vekta.5 is setup for one. **Note...Iím gonna leave the radio and receiver off the total since Iíll be using my DX6R and an extra receiver I have.**

So now, the 5ive-B is at ~$2100 and the Vekta.5 is (drumroll please....) ~$2500! Both running and bashing at 12S.

Other consideration is I could also go to the max on ESC/motor with an MGM and Lehner setup and even go 15S! That combo is an easy bolt in with the Wheelman Designz conversion in the Vekta.5 and not so easy in a 5ive-B. It also adds quite a bit of weight over the Leo/ZTW setup. The MGM/Lehner combo is around $1800...no joke!!!

Last add would be that Iím no rich man! This is something that I would build over a few months as I slowly buy different parts and things.

Yíalls thoughts?

Annnnd...GO!
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

I ran a brushless Vekta with the wheelman conversion and ZTW/leopard 58113 530kv combo on 12S and it ran great. I converted it back to a gasser as it needed to be noisy, brushless just didn't suit it due to it's appearance lol

The Vekta is heavy, add a few upgrades and you have one heavy beast of a thing, allot heavier than a 5iveT. It's not without it's flaws though, and it's the one you'll be dropping all the $$$ on upgrades on. The 5iveB only needs alloy diff cases front/rear, chassis braces optional.
The Vekta, although built like a tank, wears out parts quickly, mainly the rear trailing arm setup. The heim joints become sloppy in a few runs, and you'll be forking out hundreds in no time. It's also very front heavy, and when converted to brushless it becomes very top heavy due to the batteries being up so high. Still hard to roll it though as it's very wide. Basically with the Vekta being so heavy, parts wear out quick, then it becomes a catch 22 as you start adding heavier upgrades to make it stronger

For reliability and durability the 5iveB wins hands down. Looks wise the Vekta wins

The Vekta has an optional dual servo mount, and out of the 2, it's the one that needs it with all that weight up fron. You can a single servo (sitting lengthways) with a "push 'n pull" setup on the 5iveB with the TLR conversion, as it has holes in the servo mount to accommodate a single servo. That's how i've built mine, and my 5iveT gasser is the same.
rudebwoyfishman likes this.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

So based on your comments Gav, Iíd say it appears that your vote sways more towards the 5ive-B and for valid and clear reasons.

Iím still a hair on the side of the 5ive-B as well. One of the main reasons is itís really not in production anymore (only for DDM through their contract with Losi) and I want to own one before they completely disappear.

And youíre 100% right!! The Vekta.5 is just plain cool! The look, the mechanics and that itís based on a real KOH truck. The Vekta.5 seems like it could be around for a while. Worse case, I can just scoop the LSE kit and keep it boxed up for a while until Iím ready to really build it. Idk. Choices, choices.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah the 5iveB is a TLR buggy, so it's TLR quality. It's exactly the same as the 8ight buggies, just bigger, and as you've seen on that video the RC tanks and trucks put up on Youtube, it looks even classier with the TLR conversion kit.
The carbon centre diff top plate in that video isn't part of the kit, it's an extreme RC 5iveT part. There's good upgrades for the 5iveB, the Modified RC centre diff mount is one of them

Up too you, for good speed, handling, jumping, and general bashing the 5iveB ticks all the boxes.
The Vekta is more of a basher on flat ground, deffo no jumping with it, it's just too front heavy
Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Maybe get a Vekta kit also like you were saying. Build the 5iveB, get it running and slowly build and upgrade the Vekta???

Actually all this talk of the Vekta is making me want another one now. It really is an impressive kit, and that rear trailing arm...wow!!!!
At least this time around i know what problems to expect, and there's allot more optional parts available now. It wouldn't be brushless either, it just doesn't do it justice. It would be an RCMAX 55 Supreme or bigger
Old 03-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gavsta72 View Post
Maybe get a Vekta kit also like you were saying. Build the 5iveB, get it running and slowly build and upgrade the Vekta???

Actually all this talk of the Vekta is making me want another one now. It really is an impressive kit, and that rear trailing arm...wow!!!!
At least this time around i know what problems to expect, and there's allot more optional parts available now. It wouldn't be brushless either, it just doesn't do it justice. It would be an RCMAX 55 Supreme or bigger
You really donít see anything out right now like the Vekta.5...either in looks or part quality. Iíd still be brushless all the way! Not really a fan of gas.

So how did your first Vekta.5 run with the Leo/ZTW setup? Was it enough power to move that heavy bitch or was in under powered?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

It went ok. I started off with a 13T pinion in that video you found in the Vekta thread. Then went up to 16T and temps were't so great, so down to 15 and that fine.
It had plenty of power, the Leo is an 8000W motor on 12S which is nearly 11hp. I didn't have a speedo at the time, but it would've been close to 50mph.

An MGM combo would probably be better, but for a cheaper alternative matbe the ZTW with a TP Power 5870, maybe 600kv??? That's got 50% more power than the Leopard
MGM would be overkill for the 5iveB though, it just doesn't need it really due to it's size and weight. Have you seen those things in a 5iveT?? wow crazy

Their is also the FID dragon Hammer Voltz, you can buy RTR or just the chassis with no electrics i think. Full aluminium and full expensive. In this video it still has the old version of the ZTW 300amp which didn't like 12S in the Voltz with that huge 70120 600kv motor
The new updated ESC was released at the start of the year, RC Juice have them (re-branded as Hobbystar)

Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, thatís a bit of a bummer to hear that the Leo/ZTW combo really wasnít enough for the Vekta.5. The vehicle is really big and heavy and in a brushless setup, for sure needs a monster motor and ESC to get it moving and keep the electronics happy and not overworked.

That FID Dragon Hammer looks legit. It looks like thereís more aluminum parts on it out the box compared to the Vekta.5. So if you were running essentially the same motor/ESC combo in the Vekta.5 and ultimately deemed it insufficient, then I see even more strain on the system in the Dragon Hammer being that it appears heavier.

I ordered that MAX5 like I mentioned so once I get that, Iíll have all the electronics for the 5ive-B! Followed up with DDM again and they are still on track to receive more 5ive-B kits in April. Iíll probably order the TLR Brushless Conversion Kit next week along with the TLR chassis braces and steering plate to add to the build pile.
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

What are some ďmust haveĒ parts for a solid 5ive-B Brushless Basher Build?? Damn...thatís a lot of ďBĒees!

Aside from the 5ive-B kit itself and the TLR brushless conversion...and considering Iíll be running a Leo/Max5 combo with dual Hi-Tec 845WP servos...

- TLR alum front/rear chassis braces
- TLR alum steering top plate
- ???
Old 03-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rudebwoyfishman View Post
What are some “must have” parts for a solid 5ive-B Brushless Basher Build?? Damn...that’s a lot of “B”ees!

Aside from the 5ive-B kit itself and the TLR brushless conversion...and considering I’ll be running a Leo/Max5 combo with dual Hi-Tec 845WP servos...

- TLR alum front/rear chassis braces
- TLR alum steering top plate
- ???
Maybe just get the extreme racing carbon centre diff top plate from Amain, and get the brushless kit from there also, much cheaper than DDM on that one. That will finish off the carbon fibre in the chassis
Alloy diff cases for front and rear, not essential, but just for piece of mind. DDM for them, ADI and NRP i think they have, under 5iveT parts
https://www.amainhobbies.com/xtreme-...r10890/p234215
Old 03-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

You could get the Modified RC centre diff mount (for 5iveT v1) but it's really not needed, purely for bling being shiny alloy, and is only really need if running a gas engine

A different bodyshell is highly recommended. The stock body has a big cutout for the gas engine, plus another hole for the gas cap. Ugly!!!
Bodies for the MCD RR5 fit like a glove, either an MCD one, or the Grafil G-Pantox. The Grafil might be the better option as it's very thick lexan, the MCD are very thin. But they are very low at the front so the dual servo saver/servo links will hit.
Nothing a modification won't fix - i think. That's one of the reasons i went with a single servo setup as i could cut down the right hand side of the servo saver, bit hard to explain. The boys at RC tanks put the dual servo's in, i've since sent Lucre
a message telling him about that, as i included the G-Pantox body, but i didn't get a chance to test fit before i sent the 5iveB to him
Old 03-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds good Gav! Always appreciate the info. Iíll give myself the next few weeks to decide which vehicle to get. I could get the Vekta.5 now since theyíre in stock at DDM but I think the right way to do it is wait til both are in stock and then make the purchase. I wonít have much time over the next few weeks anyway with the new baby. Once his fine motor skills are being developed though, a 1/5 scale rig would be perfect for him to practice and build together. Small hands, big parts! Hahahahaha!!!
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

No problem
Old 03-23-2020, 04:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 12-factor app methodology

hello
Old 03-23-2020, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Hi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.