Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
TURBO VS STANDARD GLOW PLUGS >

TURBO VS STANDARD GLOW PLUGS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TURBO VS STANDARD GLOW PLUGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TURBO VS STANDARD GLOW PLUGS

Is there a performance advantage? The standard plugs are so much cheaper.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluef250
Is there a performance advantage? The standard plugs are so much cheaper.
Performance: A bit yes.

Price:
Not really, cheap plugs are cheaper not matter what kind they are. OD turbos are cheap, GRP standards are expensive. You just see a lot more cheap standards than you do cheap turbos.

A good turbo of the right type in a well tuned motor will last longer. So what's cheaper: a $5 plug that lasts 4 tanks or an $11 plug that lasts over a gallon?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
Performance: A bit yes.
So what's cheaper: a $5 plug that lasts 4 tanks or an $11 plug that lasts over a gallon?
The $15 plug that lasts FOREVER!!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
The $15 plug that lasts FOREVER!!
That too, haha
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Lord

The turbo plug has a better sealing and falls in a perfect shape with the combustion room giving the best compression without distortion of the flow of the mixture. If it does something compared with standard plugs is maybe hard to tell, the change to give it a try can alway give a different compression due the shape and tolerances of the new button head.
I know my 1st TOP engine with (by then) the new turbo plug did give me a lot of problems so I did use a button head of an old engine and normal plugs and did not notice anything but only a better life of the plugs (back in 1994). Today there is no one with an high end top engine even wanting to try a standard plug....

Turbo plugs are patented, that will make a difference in price. Also the shape between brands is not universal to go arround the patent so there is a less choice of plugs compared with the standard plugs which do have more choice in temp range but also more brands making them.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the replies. Ill just stick to the turbo plugs
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

More R/C HYPE
In theory the more pent roof/shape charge effect= more HP, but in reality as far as
r/c engines, I can't find a differents. I went from standard to turbo in my Nova
367 and losted alot of bottom-end. I went from turbo to standard in my Nova FMS to lower the cooling head and lost no noticeable power. I know turbo plug engines are harder to tune, so that should give you a good indication on how efficient it's combustion chamber is. Just my $.02
Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
More R/C HYPE
In theory the more pent roof/shape charge effect= more HP, but in reality as far as
r/c engines, I can't find a differents. I went from standard to turbo in my Nova
367 and losted alot of bottom-end. I went from turbo to standard in my Nova FMS to lower the cooling head and lost no noticeable power. I know turbo plug engines are harder to tune, so that should give you a good indication on how efficient it's combustion chamber is. Just my $.02
Sounds like you were using too cold a plug. Most turbos (even the hot ones) are designed for onroad and just too cold for offroad, thus the poor bottom and difficult tuning. Find a hotter turbo and all will be well.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Sounds like you were using too cold a plug. Most turbos (even the hot ones) are designed for onroad and just too cold for offroad, thus the poor bottom and difficult tuning. Find a hotter turbo and all will be well.
Actually I thought I was posting on the Nitro Engine Off Road forum.(my bad) I started out racing nitro on road. To me turbo plugged engines on-road or off-road have a much smaller tuning window than a standard plugged. A standard plugged engine will run on a sloppy tune, a turbo plugged with the same tune would cut-out. Maybe a hotter turbo plug would have made it run
better, but it was running alittle hot and I think a hotter plug would have made it run too hot. Mostly all todays off-road engines are turbo. I think I seen a dyno test awhile back in a R/C magazine turbo v standard showing a very very slight HP gain in the very extreme top-end, but a slight mid- range lose.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Tech Lord

As I did mention before, the change to another buttonhead can give a change in compression so probebly you have to play with headshims to get the engine right
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

so i have a first gen RB S3 in my sportwerks turmoil it was used about 2 gallons ran thru it and it had a standard plug in it what would da gains be if i switched to a turbo plug or should it have a turbo plug anyways