Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
HPI 21R SC...replacement parts? >

HPI 21R SC...replacement parts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI 21R SC...replacement parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default HPI 21R SC...replacement parts?

i know this is an old motor made for the hpi proceed but it's made by nova and it's 9 ports i was wondering does anybody think the 35+21 or 359 P/S/R will fit?

i could take pictures of the case for you guys and go from there...any input would help...i really wanna put this beast together and run the snot outta it
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

pics:

crankcase

crank

sleeve pics

lmk what you guys think..sorry for crappy quality but let me know if you need more info
Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

so no one here can help me? come on i know there are some engine guru's here....please help

btw...the case and things look very similar to other novas so i assume should work...also the storke/bore,bearing sizes are the same...so I am thinking of getting a jp p/s/r set + ceramics for this

gonna be running in buggy/truggy what would you suggest?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have two of them. I will look into it for you. THis was and still is a good motor.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

It is a 7-port engine and I believe based on the models like the Serpent EVO3 engine because it has 1 exhaust poort and no MES (= with 2 extra small upper side exhaust ports).

I advise you to take a look into the new 7-ports Novarossi Basic engine which is basicly the same set. I fitted a Basic 3-port set into an EVO5 and it runs very good.

I am just interested why HPI even did get this engine, such expensive engines is not in the line of HPI or was it only for the Proceed ?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

yes it was for the hpi proceed it was during the time period in which HPI was getting nova based engines

they had this one

and i believe the pull start and non pull start .12's around the time of the HPI RS4 NITRO 2 kit

and the only reason for calling it a 9 port is because that's what the info on the website says

thanks for the reply i'll look into it
Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Don't know if this will help, HPI numbers don't give a hint of the Novarossi p/n# yet the bearing size may help narrow it down...
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/i-1801.gif
14mm crank and 14x25x6mm main bearing. Plus inst. pic says nova 3.5 on the side of the block.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

found that it in fact is like any other nova case has a p5 set installed just gonna replace bearings and i've fired it up seems to run well...or so i hope can't really tell until i change bearings and slap her on for a full run ya know
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Glad to see you got it running. It was a very good motor and would still make a decent practice or club race motor. In the early days of TC racing I had an HPI nova .12 side exhaust that I still say is the best .12 I ever had.

As for pistons and sleeves, I believe any of the Nova motors from that time would be interchangeable. An R1 or RB C4 sleeve may work but not positive.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

my buddy has one hooked up 2 a jp-1 in his truggy and that thing is ballistic...easily speeds past vspecs and other nova's
Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Just found this thread so I hope you guys don't mind if I bring it back to life. I used to work in the industry. I'm out of the hobby now but I have two 21R SC's brand new still shrink wrapped from the factory. I'm never going to use them as there isn't an on road scale around me for about 200 miles! I'll let them both go for $500 if anybody wants them want them. Heck I have an HPI Proceed unbuilt and still in bags along with unpainted Toyota and Lola bodies for it. Let me know.
Chad