R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default VOX Motonica engines

hi there

has anyone tried these engines yet?
kurtcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

It is a Picco production, it comes also with a Picco pipe (EFRA number) so if you know how a Picco runs I think the VOX will not be much different.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We tested one in Las Vegas a month or so ago. The engine was in my buddy's car, an average driver. With his driving style, it made 5 minutes run time with no problem, plenty of fuel in the tank. No flameouts or tuning issues all weekend, and excellent power. The engine is now with another buddy in China and as soon as I get feedback from him I'll post here.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default speed and power

i bought one of these engines, put a 2033 picco pipe on it

it is the fastest engine i have ever run, faster than my nova callari

and it made 6min with the 9mm venturi

very impressed, especially with the price
kurtcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Since they are based on the Picco engines, you know they have gonna be spewing out that much torque!! And they do - I saw a guy from electrics running a VOX .21 in a Motonica P81 and it has so much torque coming out of the corners, it leaves the Tuned Nova's in it's dust! Not so much on top, but it covers that by being super quick in the in-field. And this was driven by an electric driver and was still being broken-in Vs fully run-in Nova Tuned engines driven by Australian 1/10 and 1/8 Champs
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Tech Regular

[QUOTE Not so much on top, but it covers that by being super quick in the in-field. And this was driven by an electric driver and was still being broken-in Vs fully run-in Nova Tuned engines driven by Australian 1/10 and 1/8 Champs [/QUOTE]

He was running in the B qualifier. Wait and see what happens when he is in the A group. All the top guys where running engines in.

PS there was no 1/10th and 1/8th champs in the B group.

I am sure the Vox engine will be good however, and the electric guy knows how to drive. Multiple electric champ...
MRCCR - MELBOURNE RADIO CONTROL CIRCUIT RACING
www.mrccr.com.au

Last edited by West03; 01-16-2011 at 08:11 PM.
West03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by West03 View Post
Quote:
Not so much on top, but it covers that by being super quick in the in-field. And this was driven by an electric driver and was still being broken-in Vs fully run-in Nova Tuned engines driven by Australian 1/10 and 1/8 Champs
He was running in the B qualifier. Wait and see what happens when he is in the A group. All the top guys where running engines in.

PS there was no 1/10th and 1/8th champs in the B group.

I am sure the Vox engine will be good however, and the electric guy knows how to drive. Multiple electric champ...
Well it going to be interesting whether he runs against the J's or not!! I know he's got my vote for the finals, I just hope I can run-in my RB in time for the Vics and have my Super-Picco as a back-up!! XD
Hopefully it will be completely run-in by then and Ill see just how much power I've put into it after my little crank mod
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
Since they are based on the Picco engines, you know they have gonna be spewing out that much torque!! And they do - I saw a guy from electrics running a VOX .21 in a Motonica P81 and it has so much torque coming out of the corners, it leaves the Tuned Nova's in it's dust! Not so much on top, but it covers that by being super quick in the in-field. And this was driven by an electric driver and was still being broken-in Vs fully run-in Nova Tuned engines driven by Australian 1/10 and 1/8 Champs
Ryans engines were pretty good. My Piccos had a little more top end and they seemed to run with the Nova guys with no problems. The difference in our engines was mainly the pipe selection.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ryan Maker

Have actually had a full test day since the Vics and now have these engines sorted
. Its so much easier when yours is the only car on the track!!
Any way as it turns out it was all in the clutch and gearing as we thought.
These engines like to be geared, they will pull all the way to the mooon.
We ended up running 15/20-49/45. After we got the clutch sorted we reckoned we could have gone to a 16T pinion on first. This will help even more as it will let the engine rev out a little longer on long straits before the Tall second gearing cuts in.
Also we pulled this engine down when we returned home and the internals are in superb condition after 8 Litres of hard running.
With a little more testing I think this engine can be a real monster.

RC MAKER - www.rcmaker.com.au
AWESOMATIX - R1 WURKS - VOLANTE
Ryan Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Maker View Post
Have actually had a full test day since the Vics and now have these engines sorted
. Its so much easier when yours is the only car on the track!!
Any way as it turns out it was all in the clutch and gearing as we thought.
These engines like to be geared, they will pull all the way to the mooon.
We ended up running 15/20-49/45. After we got the clutch sorted we reckoned we could have gone to a 16T pinion on first. This will help even more as it will let the engine rev out a little longer on long straits before the Tall second gearing cuts in.
Also we pulled this engine down when we returned home and the internals are in superb condition after 8 Litres of hard running.
With a little more testing I think this engine can be a real monster.
Dude i would gear it down a little more, i did and it accelerated much nicer and still had more than enough top end.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4 View Post
Dude i would gear it down a little more, i did and it accelerated much nicer and still had more than enough top end.
You must like a Slo Top End Ryan is correct though. When we went from 19/46 to 19/45 and this engine really started to come alive, yet lost nothing down the bottom. We then went to 20/46 and the thing became an animal. Then thinking it couldn't possibly take any more we threw on 20/45. This is geared to blazes yet this motor took it soo easy.

With the Grenit timer hooked up this configuration bettered our fastest lap times at the Vics and ran cooler.And all this on a track that had been rained on just hours previously.
Warren Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Maker View Post
You must like a slow Top End Ryan is correct though. When we went from 19/46 to 19/45 and this engine really started to come alive, yet lost nothing down the bottom. We then went to 20/46 and the thing became an animal. Then thinking it couldn't possibly take any more we threw on 20/45. This is geared to blazes yet this motor took it soo easy. With the Grenit timer hooked up this configuration bettered our fastest lap times at the Vics and ran cooler.And all this on a track that had been rained on just hours previously.
Funny thing is Warren it didnt change the top end too much, again as i said before i ran a different pipe to you guys, the 2033 pipe doesnt let the engine rev up top, but it has gobs and gobs of bottom and mid range, which is why it probably didnt bother it with the gearing you threw at it. When i used to run the 2033 pipe is found a similar thing, once i changed the pipe the engine was totally different. I know that when Ryan and i were in qualifiers and we were on the back straight together my engine could run him down and i had to back off going into the sweeper, Nic also confirmed this with me. My 2nd gearing isnt too much different to yours but is geard slightly lower 1st however i am geared a little longer, 16/50 20/47. I did however try the 2033 pipe again just to see, i swiftly pulled it off again and nearly threw it in the bin. If you guys have found a happy medium with that combination thats cool, i have about a half a dzen 2033 pipes you can buy if you want them...haha.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I know that when Ryan and i were in qualifiers and we were on the back straight together my engine could run him down and i had to back off going into the sweeper,
Tell me about it it! You and every one else I think you may be spot on with that first gearing too. We wanted to try that as our last test but Ryan was having so much fun with his new found speed I couldnt get him to stop cutting laps. Then before I knew it we had used up all the fuel we had taken! (Over 2 Ltrs) Will be interested to see what pipe you are running also.
Warren Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Funny thing is Warren it didnt change the top end too much, again as i said before i ran a different pipe to you guys, the 2033 pipe doesnt let the engine rev up top, but it has gobs and gobs of bottom and mid range, which is why it probably didnt bother it with the gearing you threw at it. When i used to run the 2033 pipe is found a similar thing, once i changed the pipe the engine was totally different. I know that when Ryan and i were in qualifiers and we were on the back straight together my engine could run him down and i had to back off going into the sweeper, Nic also confirmed this with me. My 2nd gearing isnt too much different to yours but is geard slightly lower 1st however i am geared a little longer, 16/50 20/47. I did however try the 2033 pipe again just to see, i swiftly pulled it off again and nearly threw it in the bin. If you guys have found a happy medium with that combination thats cool, i have about a half a dzen 2033 pipes you can buy if you want them...haha.
Would you care to fill us in on what pipe you are using?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Mayyyyyyyybeeeeee...haha

Novarossi 2052 with conical manifold. And yes still makes 5 mins.