R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-06-2004, 07:42 PM   #601
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default i think i'm a regular dude!

i got one the first day they hit the warehouse i brought mine in on 30% o donnells with a 77 turbo plug , adjusted my temp to 250 to 270 and this thing makes a long straight very short .yahoo!
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #602
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: i think i'm a regular dude!

Quote:
Originally posted by isuzuguy
i got one the first day they hit the warehouse i brought mine in on 30% o donnells with a 77 turbo plug , adjusted my temp to 250 to 270 and this thing makes a long straight very short .yahoo!
Regular dude.........no way. LOL just kidding. Did you have trouble mounting the short rod motor in your G4? I had to dremel away a little bit of the boss for the logo for clearance of the motor mount screw heads so they would not go in at an angle.

I need to break my short rod in as well as the car, I need to go racing!
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 AM   #603
Tech Addict

Default yb slow

yea yea, what ever! lol
i had to do the same thing to my motor on the logo.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:06 AM   #604
Tech Addict

Default yb slow

hey r u coming down next weekend for the rev championships
10m. qualifiers .
Old 11-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #605
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: yb slow

Quote:
Originally posted by isuzuguy
hey r u coming down next weekend for the rev championships
10m. qualifiers .
I was going to come down and race 1/8th, but Bill camcelled on me. I'm trying to talk Tennessee inot coming down to pit Bee yatch for me, but if he can't make it I won't have a pitman and probably won't come.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #606
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
D,
I'm surprised at you - don't be so stingy.
A whole new RD/Richey engine is only about US$180 and you won't have to worry about your second hand bearings and what "might" have been done to their crankcase.
Old habits die hard.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #607
Tech Apprentice

Henry,

Long time, no talk. How's your new ride? and how's the Richey
power? Hope to see you at the track soon. It's been all work and no play for me. I hope everything is well with you.

Late,
Dave
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #608
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Saw one of Dennis' motors run last weekend and all I can say is don't miss out on buying this engine. The engine has power throughtout the whole track. The combination of Dennis Richey and his motors are going to send other manufacturers back to the drawing board. The other motors that ran against the RD Motor were a Maxy Modified Salven, JP Modified, a couple of RB's but I don't know if they were modded or not...wasn't really paying attention to them since the RD Motor caught my attention on the track. Can't wait to run one. Great job Dennis and RD Logics.
peakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #609
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Peakman

I dont know who you were at Miami this weekend , but i spoke to a few different people about the R3 motor i was running this weekend ,and all were interested or impressed by the way it ran,
I dont know what other motors i ran against but it was pretty competitive with just about all of them,
I was second on the grid out of about 25 cars and that was the first time the motor or the new RRR had hit the track, so i would say it ran well,
power was good and fuel miliage was decent (made 5:30 minutes) but i may have hurt the motor due to a tuneing error in a rush to make the main and having no help during warm ups,
over heated bad !!!!!
Motor seems to have to run about 250-270 to have good performance, atleast with my old exergine temp gun.

i going to start with that engine at this weeks state race so i will have a better report on performance on a larger trackif the motor is ok<< if anyone is interested http://www.atomichobbies.com
in Miami has two left
bcquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #610
Tech Master

Thanks for the input BC. Just out of curiosity what did the retailer sell it for??

As long as the piston is not scarred it should be fine. The engines come alove around 260 or so. 260 270 is typical these days and it takes some temp before the combustion process gets effecient. We usually run the novas around there to.

Remember the engine is stock to and not a modified tuned version. That is out there a ways so I would expect a Max or JP to have an edge but it sounds preety good out of the box. Similar to what we saw when testing in california.

a couple of the team guys have been doing alot of testing out west and tell me that the Mongoose G4 with the short rod engine and turbo II pipe have been turning some lap times on the track equal to or better than some of the RRR's running there. It looks like we have a pretty good combination.

we are now offering a powered kit on the RD site that is also available through the dealers. check it out! Remember the price on the site is retail. Expect it to be a hundred cheaper at the dealer.

http://www.rdlogics.com/store/P_456.htm
Are you shocked??? I told guys a few pages back or on the Mongoose thread we could do this, so we did.

peakman will respond to your PM tonight.

Last edited by Motorman; 11-09-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #611
Tech Elite

I have been running the STS D3R motor for a while now and I also have been taking it to the NS12 and JP motors with this motor. I assume the D3R is similar (not the same) to the R3 motor and if so I can definately recommend these motors!!
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #612
Tech Regular

Iam not positive but i think price was $180.
only reason i think it could be hurt was it got up to 310 before i noticed it laying over and fattened it ,
it did idle after the race and never flamed during pits so maybe its ok , there is no noticable pinch in motor, even with plug in it rolls over pretty easy by finger tip,

let me say again for others only reading this post , the damage is my fault due to over heating .

if there any mods to help top end on a large track Dennis PM me with details (i.e open crank bore , more timing, maybe knife edge and a larger flute)

thanks i think the motor is well worth the money, and on any small to mid size track can compete with just about anything ,
p.s. bottom end is very good on this motor.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #613
Tech Master

pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well does it seal as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and does it hold compression after you roll it to top dead center. The fastest team motors we have have zero pinch. I have had them to over 350 and they have survived well. Though I certainly don't recommend it.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #614
Tech Regular

I agree it dosent need pinch at top (auctual piston locking on top of sleeve) just causes friction which makes extra heat,
what i should have said is it dose not hold compression at tdc
motor out of car ,hold it by flywheel and set the head at a 45dag angle and it will blead compression and roll over so head is pointing straight down in about 1-2 seconds,

Ill give it a snugging up with the old pincher if it acts up this weekend(very light snugging)
Old 11-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #615
Tech Master

Quote:
i had to do the same thing to my motor on the logo
issue fixed