R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #1426
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
Hi

I just installed the BRB set. Last one I get i was told not to bother with too much running in. Us that still the same? I have had 3 tanks at a rich setting maintaining a high temp. 220F

Cheers
Should be the same. I'll be at Mendip around lunchtime Friday. Will be breaking in a couple of sets during the day. Will be more than happy to help you out.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #1427
Tech Master

Whats that fuel? Will you have some at Mendip? If so Ill take some off you.

I need to put the legal crank in for Mendip but I want to try the moded one to see how she it goes

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #1428
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Whats that fuel? Will you have some at Mendip? If so Ill take some off you.

I need to put the legal crank in for Mendip but I want to try the moded one to see how she it goes

Cheers
This is the fuel I use, Ziggy - some say you shouldn't run a hot engine (>120C) with this fuel, as the oil breaks down.....not sure if this is true or not.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #1429
Tech Fanatic

double post
Old 03-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #1430
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
This is the fuel I use, Ziggy - some say you shouldn't run a hot engine (>120C) with this fuel, as the oil breaks down.....not sure if this is true or not.
Far from it. The fuel contains Castor oil which is better than synthetic in higher temps. Plus its made from Grade A nitro and has no additives (which are the real culprit in most engine failures). At 30 (US$57) a gallon i would hope its better than any of the other fuels available to us in Europe . Stops the big end bearing going when we decide running at 350deg is worth it for a 30min final to get away with 2 stops less. Running a novarossi ceramic bearing (rebranded as JP) also helps the situation as they can take upto 450degF temps before they start to play pinball with the engine internals.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #1431
Regional Moderator

Quote:
I shimmed the head to 0.4mm and am using a C6TGC plug with 16% tornado.
I think maybe you should lower the shim if only using 16% nitro.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #1432
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Hi Edward & Leo,
Very happy to see Palmarisengines.com site is up and running. Good job CEO Leo on the site.....love the picture gallary!

Happy Racing,
Mike
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #1433
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
I think maybe you should lower the shim if only using 16% nitro.
0.4mm is fine for the UK. With 0.3mm we are currently finding the engines are still running very rich at 260deg F. We are needing to go to 0.4mm and lean the engine out to get the perfect settings at 230 -240 deg while maintaining 7 - 9 minutes runtime.

With 0.3mm the ideal running temp was 350degF. The only problem we have at that temp is that the big end bearing cant withstand it for long unless you are running ceramics. While the engines were comfortable running that type of temp over a 5min qualifier I wouldnt like to maintain it with any engine over a 30min Final.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #1434
Tech Adept

hi pe,
350 degf ist a teparatur like 176c,
that is very hot, whre are you check the temperatur??
i run 16% nitro with .3mm head clearence
at about 125 c, and i found the engine runns well.
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:01 AM   #1435
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 4racer
hi pe,
350 degf ist a teparatur like 176c,
that is very hot, whre are you check the temperatur??
i run 16% nitro with .3mm head clearence
at about 125 c, and i found the engine runns well.
dieter
At the glowplug. Casing was around 280deg. Going to try different pipe/header combos. Also depends on what carb you are running and how everything is modified. Ideal temp is around 230 deg. Atmospheric pressure, altitude etc will affect how the engine runs.

Just happens that most of the tracks we are running at are requiring 0.4mm shimming to get the temp down and get a nice needle setting.

Last edited by Palmaris Europe; 03-27-2005 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #1436
Tech Master

I ran the set at the track today but unfortunatly it was damp so couldnt use the full power of the engine. I did hack it down the straight and a good test was a drag race against my mates REX RER S5. We are usually about the same speed.

On to the straight we were level but about halfway along I seemed to find another power band and flew past him like he was standing still!

I had to loosen the clutch due to the damp but the car still pulled out of the corners well. The power seemed to be usuable all through the rev range with no flat spots and very high revs top end. More than the TOP TSR5.

After the a 10 min practice, 3 heats and a 15 min final the piston still sticks TDC. I'll be using this setup for the nationals from now on!

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #1437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I ran the set at the track today but unfortunatly it was damp so couldnt use the full power of the engine. I did hack it down the straight and a good test was a drag race against my mates REX RER S5. We are usually about the same speed.

On to the straight we were level but about halfway along I seemed to find another power band and flew past him like he was standing still!

I had to loosen the clutch due to the damp but the car still pulled out of the corners well. The power seemed to be usuable all through the rev range with no flat spots and very high revs top end. More than the TOP TSR5.

After the a 10 min practice, 3 heats and a 15 min final the piston still sticks TDC. I'll be using this setup for the nationals from now on!

Cheers
Hi Ziggy.
Nice to hear that you find your best set up. Are you running latest version of sets-what it is sad on top of piston? just the # or something else? Apretiate for your information.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #1438
Tech Elite

My cell # been changed. Old doesn't work any more, even messaging system is off too.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #1439
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hi Ziggy.
Nice to hear that you find your best set up. Are you running latest version of sets-what it is sad on top of piston? just the # or something else? Apretiate for your information.
Edward
Hi Edward,

I got to run my engine yesterday - I was just breaking it in, but it was running very nicely. I was only running it at about 194F at the end and it was still rich - next time at the track I'm going to heat things up a bit

The engine seems really easy to tune - normally I have to fight with the lower needle to get the car to idle, but with you set I had no problems.

Thanks, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #1440
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hi Edward,

I got to run my engine yesterday - I was just breaking it in, but it was running very nicely. I was only running it at about 194F at the end and it was still rich - next time at the track I'm going to heat things up a bit

The engine seems really easy to tune - normally I have to fight with the lower needle to get the car to idle, but with you set I had no problems.

Thanks, Mark.
Hi Mark.
194 F is realy low temp, specialy when set is new. I will sugest you to go for 230-240. Try to make it leaner on bottom and reacher on top (compare to conventional set up).

Edward