R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #1561
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hi guys.
Congratulation with great work!!!!!!!!!!
We found that TP-06 is pretty good for small technical tracks. The best result for high flow track is pipe from Chris and Mugen USA. Mugen pipe has slightly better bottom end and Chris's pipe has better top end, but in general they are pretty the same.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #1562
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

It seems it isn't my week for motors...

I ran in my second Palmaris P/S kit today, but I find that my needle settings are really strange and I couldn't get any top end.

Ok, first the technical details. I'm using Runner Time Top 16% fuel, a 6TF plug and 0.4mm of head shims. The motor is a Novamega 3P (#2106) which now houses the Palmaris internals.
Air temperature was 10C and very little humidity.

My engine wa set with the needle settings that used to be fine for the Novamega (when it still had Novamega internals).
I had to really turn in the needles though or else it wouldn't start: LSN 1.5 turns out and HSN 4.5.
It would idle fine and the temp was stable around about 65C.

When I went out onto the track, the car wouldn't change into second gear, so I adjusted the HSN (leaner by 0.5 turn) until it did, but it changed slower than normal and didn't really have so much top end power.
I checked the temp and it was at 105C - I tested the LSN by pinching the fuel tubing and it cut out quite quickly - certainly leaner than my usual setting.

As I was only doing run in at first, I continued a few tanks with these settings - the run time was great, I was getting definately 8 mins.
After the third tank, I found that the plug had blown - no internal damage, it simply wasn't working anymore.

I replaced the plug and though I would add another head shim (0.1mm) to see if I could get some more power.
This seemed to work well and the engine was running better, but then not even after a tank, the second plug blew

So my settings at the end were:
1.5 Turns out on the LSN
4 Turns out on the HSN
0.5mm of head shims.

There seems to be something wrong here, though - especially as it has started blowing plugs (both were new).

Could anyone advise me where the problem may lie?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #1563
Tech Elite

BTW: My first P/S Kit runs fine with my old JP-FX settings.

Mark.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #1564
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hi guys.
We found that TP-06 is pretty good for small technical tracks. The best result for high flow track is pipe from Chris and Mugen USA. Mugen pipe has slightly better bottom end and Chris's pipe has better top end, but in general they are pretty the same.
Edward
Ed, I have actually have not compared back to back the Gen 1 to Gen 2 BRB piston sleeves and where the improvements are using the same pipe...

One thing I know is that with the same pipe combo (NovaMax inline pipe with normal Novarossi inline manifold), the bottom, mid and top end was excellent on the Gen 1 BRB during the Serpent race in Thailand. But that's on a NovaMax crankcase with a KHM crankshaft. The one I ran recently was with a Gen 2 BRB in a normal NSR crankcase with a NovaMax crankshaft.

So I gather the only difference in the variables are the JP FX crankcase with ceramic bearings, JP crankshaft (slightly modded also) and the conical manifold that made for the difference in performance of the mid to top end.

I'll try and hook up the KHM crankshaft onto the Gen 2 BRB and see how it performs...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #1565
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
It seems it isn't my week for motors...

I ran in my second Palmaris P/S kit today, but I find that my needle settings are really strange and I couldn't get any top end.

Ok, first the technical details. I'm using Runner Time Top 16% fuel, a 6TF plug and 0.4mm of head shims. The motor is a Novamega 3P (#2106) which now houses the Palmaris internals.

My engine wa set with the needle settings that used to be fine for the Novamega (when it still had Novamega internals).
I had to really turn in the needles though or else it wouldn't start: LSN 1.5 turns out and HSN 4.5.
It would idle fine and the temp was stable around about 65C.

When I went out onto the track, the car wouldn't change into second gear, so I adjusted the HSN (leaner by 0.5 turn) until it did, but it changed slower than normal and didn't really have so much top end power.
I checked the temp and it was at 105C - I tested the LSN by pinching the fuel tubing and it cut out quite quickly - certainly leaner than my usual setting.

As I was only doing run in at first, I continued a few tanks with these settings - the run time was great, I was getting definately 8 mins.
After the third tank, I found that the plug had blown - no internal damage, it simply wasn't working anymore.

I replaced the plug and though I would add another head shim (0.1mm) to see if I could get some more power.
This seemed to work well and the engine was running better, but then not even after a tank, the second plug blew

So my settings at the end were:
1.5 Turns out on the LSN
4 Turns out on the HSN
0.5mm of head shims.

There seems to be something wrong here, though - especially as it has started blowing plugs (both were new).

Could anyone advise me where the problem may lie?

Cheers, Mark.
I think the LSN is just a little too lean. We had one do the same thing last weekend. We had the exact same settings and went from:

1.5 turns out LSN
4 turns out HSN
0.3mm shims

to:

1.75 turns out LSN
4.5 turns out HSN
0.4mm shims

I would suggest going out slightly on the LSN to stop blowing the plugs.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #1566
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I think the LSN is just a little too lean. We had one do the same thing last weekend. We had the exact same settings and went from:

1.5 turns out LSN
4 turns out HSN
0.3mm shims

to:

1.75 turns out LSN
4.5 turns out HSN
0.4mm shims

I would suggest going out slightly on the LSN to stop blowing the plugs.
Sounds good - will try it out.

Thanks for you reply.

Mark.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #1567
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds good - will try it out.

Thanks for you reply.

Mark.
I had lots of fun last weekend. Was tuning 8 different engines all weekend for the UK team guys. They all set up the same except (wait for it).....the novamega case one. It just wouldnt run as lean as the rest.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #1568
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I had lots of fun last weekend. Was tuning 8 different engines all weekend for the UK team guys. They all set up the same except (wait for it).....the novamega case one. It just wouldnt run as lean as the rest.
Could it be anything to do with that middle-needle screw? Never dare touch the thing to be honest - no idea what it does - I keep it set flat to the body. You not going to ask for another fifteen quid for this answer are you?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #1569
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Mark, did you check the head clearance as per the method ziggy mentioned? Perhaps you need to shim down with 16% nitro ! I'm using 25% and with hot climate conditions here, we stick to 0.3 mm with the 7TF plug. What's the head clerance measurement on the JP FX? Perhaps try to follow that one.

Don't know if you read my previous post here but what I found out was my head clearance with the stock 0.3 mm shim was 0.8 mm on the NovaMax crankcase ! I think that's too much. JP FX crankcase may differ from your old SX12 NovaMega crankcase.

On the Gen 1 BRB, I took out the stock 0.3 mm shim and ran it as is without shims with 0.5 mm head clearance (approx 0.02"). Now for safety reasons, I run with just 1 copper shim (0.1 mm). I think that's the ideal head clearance with 25%.

I have not measured the head clearance on my BRB Gen 2 in the normal Novarossi NSR crankcase. Will try and post some numbers.

With 16%, I think it should be less than 0.5 mm head clearance. Try aiming for 0.4 mm head clearance. Measure it with the solder tip. You may require different number of shims to get to the head clearance you want.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #1570
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Could it be anything to do with that middle-needle screw? Never dare touch the thing to be honest - no idea what it does - I keep it set flat to the body. You not going to ask for another fifteen quid for this answer are you?
no. fees go up for second servings

Its a possibility that the powerband on the mega carbs is slightly different to other nova carbs. The middle needle from my comprehension sets were the engine uses the powerband. Turning it out gives a lower powerband and turning it in lets the engine use a higher powerband. If you do adjust the middle needle you must adjust the LSN the same amount in the opposite direction to keep the original setting.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #1571
Tech Elite

I'll check it D, thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #1572
Tech Elite

I get a flat piece of solder measuring approx 0.2mm - but don't you think then that 0.2mm of shims would be too little?

I will try it, though - I'll richen the bottom end and try 0.3mm of shims first of all. Then, I'll see how it responds.

If I've understood correctly, the engine will run hotter with fewer shims.

BTW: The blown plug the wire was sticking out, so this should mean too many shims. Next time I hope it runs better
Old 04-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #1573
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I get a flat piece of solder measuring approx 0.2mm - but don't you think then that 0.2mm of shims would be too little?

I will try it, though - I'll richen the bottom end and try 0.3mm of shims first of all. Then, I'll see how it responds.

If I've understood correctly, the engine will run hotter with fewer shims.

BTW: The blown plug the wire was sticking out, so this should mean too many shims. Next time I hope it runs better
Yep. This is correct. I just noticed a typo in my first post. We actually started at 0.4mm and went to 0.3mm with 16%. blown plug with wire sticking out would suggest a couple of things.

If it was pulling out previous to blowing you have too many shims in and if the plug blew without breaking the coil inside it would suggest too lean on LSN.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #1574
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hi guys.
Edward
We've got racers in Malaysia hunting the BRB p/s down...CHRIS, get to work!...

Anyways, hope Palmaris will continue developing these wonder metals...
crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #1575
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
[.

If it was pulling out previous to blowing you have too many shims in and if the plug blew without breaking the coil inside it would suggest too lean on LSN. [/B]
Sometimes when HSN too lean, the plug will blew without coil coming off too.
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote