Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my frens 3ct lasted till after 13-14 races inc. practices , still compression good..., but after the last race tiny hairline cracks were discovered at the crankcase near the manifold area..must have hit something hard i guess....overall he was pleased with it lots of torque and top end, runtime was ok too.

and guess what...he bought 2 more 3ct....
Old 09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtreme888
Hi,

Been racing 1/8th on road for a while now, and i am just wondering wot the different under the badges name as above for the same engine ? Why NR branding the same engine under different name ? Which is the better engine and why ?

Cheers
Originally Posted by Roelof
Motors are not compleetly the same, like the kind of ports in the R&B C5 are never been seen in the other brands. Also the port and crankshaft timing makes the differences onder the hood like JP is always going for high poorts for more rpm's
the way it works i think is the other engine manufactors own the molds to there engines and do all the work to the molds them self like JP will have JP him self do it and RB will have Rody and so forth and Novarossi just poor the molds and make the engine
its allot like how HKS japan get all there turbos made by Garrett Australia (because they are the best turbo manufacture around ) thats why garret has the same turbo rage in there catalog the only difference is the HKS turbo has different specs to the normal badged Garrett cause HKS own the rights to there turbos specs like fan blade , intake and exhaust housing specs
Old 09-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by implusepro
hey guys, what are the differences between a 353 and a 12-3SCT?

obviously the extra $$ is for the extra motor you recieve in the package, and the 353 is a newer engine, but is it actually better then the 12-3SCT??

i've read different reviews that some say the 353 has a 11.9mm and others say a 11.5mm diameter...

The only other difference i could find were the extra holes in the 353 sleeve

Tossing up spending $390US for a 12-3SCT or $529US for a 353

the crankshaft, piston/sleeve is the same. So obviuosly the performance is the same as well. The one different is only a matter of tuning.

The heatsink and packaging is obviously different. I am a NOVA fens. Now I don't quite like the nova ways of marketing strategy.

The reason is they only apply some plastic surgery on their so call "NEW" engine such as 353 and selling much higher price.

Compare this 353 to old days NOVAS5 how much different could it be...
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd love to see a magazine do this: Take a S3 (or even plus 12), never run, and then break it in. Then take a 353, never run, break it in same exact way. Then, have a pro driver like Cyrul start with a full tank and run laps till he runs out of gas with each motor. Then we, the reader, could look at fastest lap, average of all laps, top speed, fuel mileage, ect. I think this would make more "real world" sense to us then just showing dyno numbers. JMO
Old 09-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thamjk
the crankshaft, piston/sleeve is the same. So obviuosly the performance is the same as well. The one different is only a matter of tuning.

The heatsink and packaging is obviously different. I am a NOVA fens. Now I don't quite like the nova ways of marketing strategy.

The reason is they only apply some plastic surgery on their so call "NEW" engine such as 353 and selling much higher price.

Compare this 353 to old days NOVAS5 how much different could it be...

NO NO NO

the 353 is totally different (case, shaft, sleeve, conrod, back plate).......
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
NO NO NO

the 353 is totally different (case, shaft, sleeve, conrod, back plate).......
OK in parts different but in materials, technology and timing (almost) the same. It is still an ABC set with a rotating inlet trough the crankshaft.

There is no new inovating technology like the CRF or the Integral sleeve of the Sirio 2003 WCR.

They only make a new disign so old parts will be difficult to get and to raise up the selling numbers of complete engines..... (as any other commercial company thinks)
Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
OK in parts different but in materials, technology and timing (almost) the same. It is still an ABC set with a rotating inlet trough the crankshaft.

There is no new inovating technology like the CRF or the Integral sleeve of the Sirio 2003 WCR.

They only make a new disign so old parts will be difficult to get and to raise up the selling numbers of complete engines..... (as any other commercial company thinks)
this is a backward way of thinking. it actually made me laugh. while i agree companies make certain parts unavailable (not just in the RC world) they do so for a reason. its an old line of parts, or the suplly and demand of the parts has dropped to a state where they dont see it fit to keep producing the parts.
you started your reply with a statement that is so generalised, im still trying to get off the floor. i have tried quite a few engines in a short period of time. i have only blown one engine up, and that was my fault. while engine manufacturers are pushing the envelope quite hard to produce a motor with a good usable and drivable power band, what you have not stated is how the car companies are changing their cars and pushing the other side of the envelope. i think there is more internal gear ratio changes in cars of late or options to do so, this is due to the advancements in the engine designs.
while i have just purchased a 12 plus 3sct, i was looking to get the 353. only due to unavailable stock did i go for the 12-3sct. but in saying that, i am more than impressed with the older engine. it is much more powerfull than my LS3, IDM (picco) and Vega, and Werks sirio. i do wish the 353 was a vailable at the time of my purchase, but one day i will get one and be able to see the differences for myself.
IF the Crf is so radical and innovative, im sure Cyrul wouldnt have gone searching elsewhere for reliability and performance.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Lord

Engines become better, maybe true but have you noticed what current exhausts and (conical) manifolds can do with older engines ?
3 years ago I did get a Nova-2000/8p new in box, it was by then about 12/13 years old.
I did run this engine and people who thinks they needs the newest engines go go fast and still I was faster than them and I did run the same laptimes as with a JP R01 but I was running on the 2015 exhaust, one of the best by then. This engine was a square stroke and had no multy exhaust and it seems it was not needed.
Imo the devellopment of manifolds and exhausts did do more to the performance than the engine itself.

Yes, cars are onder changes too but trough the years they are driving much easyer and are not critical anymore to find the sweet spot.

Last edited by Roelof; 09-29-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default plus 3ct died

after ten months of use and about 20 litres run into it,my +3ct just died.the conrod probably broke.take in mind that i had never ever opened that engine to clean it.the only thing i did was to run some after run oil after every run....that's why i belive that novarossi are far the best and the more durable engines i've ever used between sirio, os max and nova's.i don't mean that the other brands are not good but novarossi is just one step further from every manufacturer.

i have not yet opened my engine to see what happened but i guess is the conrod.i'll post some pictures soon
Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nickiphorosn
after ten months of use and about 20 litres run into it,my +3ct just died.the conrod probably broke.take in mind that i had never ever opened that engine to clean it.the only thing i did was to run some after run oil after every run....that's why i belive that novarossi are far the best and the more durable engines i've ever used between sirio, os max and nova's.i don't mean that the other brands are not good but novarossi is just one step further from every manufacturer.

i have not yet opened my engine to see what happened but i guess is the conrod.i'll post some pictures soon

here are the pictures guys.finally it was because of the back ceramic bearing.i don't know if it's worth repairing that engine now if i take in mind that i should probably go for a piston/sleeve/conrod set as well which makes a total of about 250$ repairing cost and the cost for a new plus engine is about 310$.what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Novarossi engines thread-30092007348.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-30092007333.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-30092007337.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-30092007340.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-30092007336.jpg  

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Novarossi engines are very durable. If it wasn't for the cost difference, I bet most would use a Novarossi . You would know that Novarossi's are the more superior engine out there as they are the basis of comparison (i.e. this x brand is as fast as a novarossi or this y brand is as durable).

That's a lot of fuel ran through your engine and nothing last forever. With the high cost of rebuild, I would just get a new one. I suggest you keep the broken one for parts. You never know when you will need a cooling head, or a back plate. The carb would come in handy as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

That engine may have still been running if you would have replaced the rear bearing after a visual check.

I agree with you that Novarossi are good engines.

Keep the parts, one day you will have enough good ones to slap a new engine back together !
Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default +plus 3ct

Originally Posted by Canuck
That engine may have still been running if you would have replaced the rear bearing after a visual check.

I agree with you that Novarossi are good engines.

Keep the parts, one day you will have enough good ones to slap a new engine back together !

i agree with you my friend.i took a close look at the bearing and there was fuel stuck between the balls!!!!the conrod and the piston were ok.the sleeve had taken some high temperatures but it still had compression.

Moreover i think i'll go for a new one and have some parts as spare...thanks a lot
guys!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Old 10-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Guys, I am getting ready to buy a new .12 for nitro touring car (just to play around) and was looking at this NS12TS1?

Supposedly it is a likeness to the Mugen mt12 or xt12 engine.

Is it a good motor for this or no?

Thanks in advance, Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.