Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by Z00M
It was still making good smoke everywhere. It just continued to get hotter and hotter. Before that run I checked the head button, I sealed the rear plate, carb where it mounts to the crank case, the main needle and fittings for the fuel inlet. When I was removing this demon engine from the car, I noticed that there was some fuel around the front bearing.
Except your thermometer keeping show you high number, What else odd symptom your engine have? Can it run out of each tank fuel and not go out? Look at the top of your piston,is it dark black?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Water test when engine was hot showed that it was really hot. Water would jump off the head and not stay on it at all.

Performance would go from ok at the start but very rich feeling to it being very lean and then back to rich again. It would run a whole tank without flaming out until I let it idle and then get back on the gas again and it would bog and die from too rich.

Engine did not sound lean where it revs up and then lacks fuel, it always ran ok when very hot. Piston was black but after the 333F run it was very clean.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Nitro Tech

Water test when engine was hot showed that it was really hot. Water would jump off the head and not stay on it at all.
When you do water test the engine is running or not?

Performance would go from ok at the start but very rich feeling to it being very lean and then back to rich again. It would run a whole tank without flaming out until I let it idle and then get back on the gas again and it would bog and die from too rich.
You can try 1/2 turn in the mid-range needle and 1/2 turn out the low speed needle. It would help a little when you get back throttle.

Engine did not sound lean where it revs up and then lacks fuel, it always ran ok when very hot. Piston was black but after the 333F run it was very clean.
I still believe your engine is ok. Juat make sure that you can see the smoke from tail pipe always. The thermometer may give you wrong data. Can you borrow a temp gun from your friend,and measure the temp of plug. Tell us how much different of them.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Can't emphasize this more than enough that STS should seriously look into this problem (leaking) if they want to stay in the market.

And yes, change that front bearing as well as I did. I actually exactly did all the sealing as what you've done. Ran the damn thing and thought it was finally fixed, but I guess what can you expect from the price you paid for this engine.

It was still making good smoke everywhere. It just continued to get hotter and hotter. Before that run I checked the head button, I sealed the rear plate, carb where it mounts to the crank case, the main needle and fittings for the fuel inlet. When I was removing this demon engine from the car, I noticed that there was some fuel around the front bearing.

If a brand new engine is going to have a front bearing that is unserviceable then I doubt the rest of the HP claims or anything like that are going to be substantive.

If you want it for $100 Mr nightmare it's yours. But no cheating and putting a different carb on it!

As for going to visit the dudes at project ZEN, for the price of a plane ticket to the US, I could buy a number of decent engines that you can actually use easily, not STS ones.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just to prove the point about the temp meter I am using. Yesterday I ran both a Navarossi NS12S3 Turbo and also a Rossi Pixy R12 Gold with no problems whatsoever and neither motor peaked beyong 240F on my temp meter and I ran them both with as much smoke from the exhaust as I did the STS and with the temp meter sensor sitting on the crank case like with the STS. So I am expecting that the official line will still be that I am doing something wrong but you have to expect that.

As for the STS, I have compared flow marks around the sleeve to the flow marks on the NS12 and they are significantly different. The STS sleeve supports are straight up and down in the transfer port area, while on the Novarossi, they are angled to direct the flow better. Also, the cuts in the sleeve at the transfer port are not symetrical from one side to the other, so I wonder if I am getting an incorrect swirl pattern and this may then be giving me probs with the mixture in the motor. I will clean up the sleeve and will report back when I have tried it and see if there is any difference.

I hate being beaten by mechanical things so I guess this motor can become my project and hopefully the factory might listen to any outcomes I find to make things better for other buyers in the future.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Just to prove the point about the temp meter I am using. Yesterday I ran both a Navarossi NS12S3 Turbo and also a Rossi Pixy R12 Gold with no problems whatsoever and neither motor peaked beyong 240F on my temp meter and I ran them both with as much smoke from the exhaust as I did the STS and with the temp meter sensor sitting on the crank case like with the STS. So I am expecting that the official line will still be that I am doing something wrong but you have to expect that.

As for the STS, I have compared flow marks around the sleeve to the flow marks on the NS12 and they are significantly different. The STS sleeve supports are straight up and down in the transfer port area, while on the Novarossi, they are angled to direct the flow better. Also, the cuts in the sleeve at the transfer port are not symetrical from one side to the other, so I wonder if I am getting an incorrect swirl pattern and this may then be giving me probs with the mixture in the motor. I will clean up the sleeve and will report back when I have tried it and see if there is any difference.

I hate being beaten by mechanical things so I guess this motor can become my project and hopefully the factory might listen to any outcomes I find to make things better for other buyers in the future.

Zoom, I'm having similar problems with my D5. I went through all the steps that Dino explained with run-in and troubleshooting.. Unfortunately It's running hot as.. Tuning is also very hard as it's unstable.

After changing the fuel, pipe, and the car, still no luck...

I discovered that I have a leak in the front bearing and maybe some other issues?

D5 is my second STS engine. The first one was too running too hot (STS 12) and it had a very short life.. :-(

After sales support is really good and that's why I got the second STS engine... But next time I'd rather get a better engine from a factory that has no support in these threads????
Old 07-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Anyone played with the STS .21 buggy engine yet?
Old 07-31-2004, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

I had more problems with my sirio .12 trp then the STS D5 thats for sure, darn these little .12's, .21's are so much easier hehehe

And to quote madness out of the sirio thread:
Originally posted by madness
Darkside: Here's a pic of a blown Nova Rossi Engine. I have been in the Hobby for about 12 years and Sirios hasn't been the only engine with "quality" problems. This guy was running at 250 degrees, a perfectly "race" temperature.

and...
Originally posted by madness
ANother photo of a Mugen MT-12 engine which popped in the middle of a race (A-Main). As you can see my friend, NO engine manufacturer ins flawless, I have learned that with time and experience.

So Everyone has bad engines, just at what % is the Question
Old 07-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Nitro Tech

I would like to thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. No matter those comments are good or not,they are the motivity to us. I report everything to our factory everyday. We do pay much attention on consumer's problems. We do our best to promote product's quality day and night. Anyway,thank you guys.

Last edited by dino.tw; 07-31-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello,
Can anyone tell me the dimentions of the bearings inside teh STS R3 engine? It has an SG crank. Will all .12 bearings for an SG crank work? Can I buy these bearings here in the states? Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
Hello,
Can anyone tell me the dimentions of the bearings inside teh STS R3 engine? It has an SG crank. Will all .12 bearings for an SG crank work? Can I buy these bearings here in the states? Thanks for any and all help.
http://www.projectzen.net there here in the US
Old 07-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
http://www.projectzen.net there here in the US
Thank you sir!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Default Hey dino, some photos..

Dino, a photo is worth a thousand words so..
First 2 are the top of the piston after about 40 - 50mins of racing. 3rd is after rub with rag to show what was easy to remove and whats stuck. (Piston was cleaned day b4 racing) Max temp I got was 210F, the other time I check after 14mins solid driving it was around 190F - 200F (sometimes less, like 185F, not sure now, temps checked with Infra Red probe)
Richer HSN - after a number of laps engine would cut out when applying throttle.

Running Medium OS plug, mid range is already 1/2 turn in, should I lean mid range further, maybe colder plug?
Maybe LSN too rich (does not seem like it though) causing me to run a lean HSN?
Going from internet weather station air temp was 8.1deg C at 10am, 14deg C at 3pm so 200F seems ok for temp?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation MILES PER GALLON

i think some of you guys are trying to hard....
Ran a 150 lap race today...pushing the STS D3 in an MTX-3 (ran 1 gallon thru so far) to a 8 minute run time (240 degF max temp on a 90+ deg day)

Two thumbs up Dino
Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Talking FORGOT

30% Odonnel...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.