Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

what will happen if i put a 5 port piston/linear on a 3 port engine.. and what what will happen if i put a 3 port piston/linear on a 5 port engine.. can it increase or decrease their performance..??

does a 3 or 5 port engine have different shape inside the engine case..
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a friend of mine
had the front bearing of the .21 turbo bocking
due to some humidity conditions
the external shim was swollen and started blocking the fonction of the bearing

but the engine is very definately good
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can swap 5-port and 3-port. Itll just change to 5p and 3p. Cases are the same.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by arghh
what will happen if i put a 5 port piston/linear on a 3 port engine.. and what what will happen if i put a 3 port piston/linear on a 5 port engine.. can it increase or decrease their performance..??

does a 3 or 5 port engine have different shape inside the engine case..
Depends on what 3 port engine you have. The old D3's had a 7mm crank bore to meet the EFRA rules, so If you put a 3 port liner on a D5 engine you will have a faster 3 port engine, because the crank on the 5 port engine has a bigger bore (7.5mm) and a deeper outlet ramp...it will in efect become a D3R IFMAR. Now if your base engine is already a D3R IFMAR and you put a 5 port liner, it simply becomes a D5R (theoretically faster than a 3 port engine).
Of course you know 5 port engines are outlaw for sanctioned racing.

AFM
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

so bassically both way will make the engine faster..

btw what do u think about using other piston on other liner..let say my sts piston is wear already (no compression at all), and i find that my used hyper 8 port piston is direct fit in my sts liner..anybody try it..?? does it more practical than pinching the sts liner to get back the compression..??

i'm poor rc player.. instead buying new engine or piston/liner, maybe there's other way to use the engine until it totally damage..

Last edited by arghh; 07-12-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arghh
so bassically both way will make the engine faster.. what do u think about using other piston on other liner..let say my sts piston is wear already (no compression at all), and i find that my used hyper 8 port piston is direct fit in my sts liner.. does it more practical than pinching the sts liner to get back the compression..

i'm talking about poor rc player.. instead buying new engine or piston/liner, maybe there's other way to use the engine until it totally damage..
hey arghh, dont tell me yer 2 weeks old sts buggy engine already lose the compression
hey, im at tawau now. so far away from home but even though got nice offroad track ere, i din bring my truggy. damn boring work outstation. now in cyber cafe with slow pc.
my D28M still in the box after the race. havent touch it since the race. i miss racing.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hi All

l have a STS D3R its had about 4 letters throw it and l have no compresssion in it and l need a new sleave for it is this normal sorry about my spelling too

thanks Ross
Old 07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

No thats not normal. Not looking after the air filter maybe? (Oiled?)
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jfc_tech
hey arghh, dont tell me yer 2 weeks old sts buggy engine already lose the compression
hey, im at tawau now. got nice offroad track ere
just look my post begin with "let say"...hehe
heii nice track but where are the jump, ramp, table top & loop de doop.. is it for rallying or buggying..
Old 07-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have 4 liters through my motor and its still gaining more power. How are you measuring compression, compression gauge? Is the motor performing ill. The motors will loosen up some after 4 liters , but this is how they should be. Run it till it doesnt perform well or doesnt want to run anymore, get bad fuel milage etc etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:02 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ::TEAM SRGS::
Hi All

l have a STS D3R its had about 4 letters throw it and l have no compresssion in it and l need a new sleave for it is this normal sorry about my spelling too

thanks Ross
Don’t confuse compression with pinch, Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well does it seal as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If there’s none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.

AFM
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

what do u think about using other piston on other liner..let say my sts piston is wear already (no compression at all), and i find that my used hyper 8 port piston is direct fit in my sts liner..anybody try it..?? does it more practical than pinching the sts liner to get back the compression..??
Old 07-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at that prize
trow it in the bin....
Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 07-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just bought a sts D3R from pro-hobby.net and had a few questions.

1. Is it necessary to replace the con-rod after break-in? I want to know so i know whether or not to order one now.

2. How many tanks into break-in will I need to use a heat gun to pre-heat the engine if at all?

3. Should I pick up a gallon of fuel with exra oil content for break-in? I use byrons the race blend has 12% oil and the rtr has 16% I think.

4. I planned on getting a skyline vr12plus pipe from the lhs. Is this engine and pipe a good combo together or would you recommend something different?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.