Wiki Posts
Search

INS vs. INS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default INS vs. INS?

There are several INS air boxes available, but are they all the same? Does one have an advantage over the others?

I'm curious since I've only seen the design for the Novarossi (blue) INS.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chris,
All the Induction Noise Suppressor boxes serve the same purpose .
INS box is originally designed by Serpent, In 1995 IFMAR, the World organization for RC racing, asked the manufacturers to come up with solutions to reduce the noise-level of 1/8 scale gas powered racing cars. Serpent took up the challenge and in close co-operation with the University of Delft, developed the universal Induction Noise Silencing Box, the INS-BOX. In combination with an effective (*) exhaust silencer, the INS-BOX is able to reduce the overall sound level with up to 4 decibels. If 10 cars would be using the INS-BOX at the same time, like in a race, the overall noise-level would drop with 5 to 6 decibels!

Source: http://www.serpent.com/product/200305
Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Right, but does one design have an advantage over another or do they all flow air about the same?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Right, but does one design have an advantage over another or do they all flow air about the same?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They are all the same, they function the same and there is no advantage over any other brand, the only difference is the color.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the mugen one works on 1/10 touring better...also their are 2 versions of it : the old version has no holes drilled inside the cap, the new ones do
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
the mugen one works on 1/10 touring better...also their are 2 versions of it : the old version has no holes drilled inside the cap, the new ones do
Where can i get a 1/10 INS from?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

But I think in the mugen box you can place only mugen filters, which are quite expensive.. I'm using the blue novarossi box with offroad foam in it, you can change the filters in it not even removing it from the carb, just undo the 3 screws at the top. I prefer nova against serpent, as it's fixed by screws, not clips. You will see so many guys using tape to secure the serpent ins box

You can get them at kamikaze if you are in states or from rc-mushroom.com is asia.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Only advantage of Mugen insbox - it fits better under the body (serpent and novarossi sometimes touch the roof of body), also mugen version is the only INSbox you can put on RB R3 engine
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

The Serpent is the largest in diameter. Because of that you can get some problems to leave some flesh in the body, beside that, on some engines it will not fit because the main needle is to close to the air intake. Older Picco's like the G1 for sure has this problem.

Picco designed his own one, it is smaller and has less but larger holes inside compared to the Serpent. This seems to give a better airflow to the engine.
I believe the Nova box is the same size as the Picco.

The Mugen is compleetly different, it creates more noise and does give more air and so less drivetime but at this moment it is the only one fitting .12 engines.....