R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 640
Default ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING

I have a Orion CRF .12. Motor has 1 gallon through it....Never hot or bashed.

No detination
crank is fine
bearings are fine (except front, leaks some)
case is fine
Button is clean and in good cond.

Here is the issue.

Ran good while it ran. It just lost power. Pulled it down to find the the top of the piston had a crack in it 360 degrees around it.

No the piston did not hit the button
No I never used a piston locking tool (Do not trust or believe in them)
Yes, the rod is good.

************Sorry for the crappy pics....old camera************* but you can see what I am talking about.


It is a shame that a $300 motor only last 1 gallon.
It also a shame the Orion's customer service is bad as well.
Attached Thumbnails
ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-crf-1.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-crf-2.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-crf-3.jpg  
__________________
It is called throttle control for a reason.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
Moderator
 
mxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victorville, CA USA
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_freak View Post
I have a Orion CRF .12. Motor has 1 gallon through it....Never hot or bashed.

No detination
crank is fine
bearings are fine (except front, leaks some)
case is fine
Button is clean and in good cond.

Here is the issue.

Ran good while it ran. It just lost power. Pulled it down to find the the top of the piston had a crack in it 360 degrees around it.

No the piston did not hit the button
No I never used a piston locking tool (Do not trust or believe in them)
Yes, the rod is good.

************Sorry for the crappy pics....old camera************* but you can see what I am talking about.


It is a shame that a $300 motor only last 1 gallon.
It also a shame the Orion's customer service is bad as well.
I don't think you are telling the whole story. Something mechanical caused that. I know you deny using a piston locking tool, but that is definitely what it looks like to me. Engines dont do that kind of damage while running. Also, that piston wouldn't have caused the engine to loose power like you say. It would have just quit period.

I wouldn't have warranteed it either.

BK
__________________
Brian Kinney
TLR Design Engineer
2016 Sponsors: Team Losi Racing, AKA Tires, Orion, Nitrotane, Horizon Hobbies, Fast RC Paint.
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,273
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

If that is the top of the piston bended in it did become hot !
Some piston materials gets soft at a higher temperature......
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
I don't think you are telling the whole story. Something mechanical caused that. I know you deny using a piston locking tool, but that is definitely what it looks like to me. Engines dont do that kind of damage while running. Also, that piston wouldn't have caused the engine to loose power like you say. It would have just quit period.

I wouldn't have warranteed it either.

BK
I DO NOT EVEN OWN A PISTON TOOL.

EVERYTHIG ELSE IN THE MOTOR IS JUST FINE...............THE PISTON HAD A BAD MOLD ISSUE........
__________________
It is called throttle control for a reason.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Moderator
 
mxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victorville, CA USA
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_freak View Post
I DO NOT EVEN OWN A PISTON TOOL.

EVERYTHIG ELSE IN THE MOTOR IS JUST FINE...............THE PISTON HAD A BAD MOLD ISSUE........
PM sent

BK
__________________
Brian Kinney
TLR Design Engineer
2016 Sponsors: Team Losi Racing, AKA Tires, Orion, Nitrotane, Horizon Hobbies, Fast RC Paint.
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OK
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
Engines dont do that kind of damage while running. Also, that piston wouldn't have caused the engine to loose power like you say. It would have just quit period.

I wouldn't have warranteed it either.

BK

I dont know if I agree here. If the engine was up and running at temperature and for whatever reason the dome of the piston did whats shown, I think a loss of power would be noted due to a serious loss of compression. I think once the engine cooled off it would probably never start again due to no compression. I cant say what happened here......would like to see a GOOD picture of the piston and the head button.
JVStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVStrat View Post
due to a serious loss of compression.
If there is a serious loss of compression then it will certainly STALL!
Brian is correct.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 640
Default

Yes guys..............loss of power followed by flamming out. Forgot to mention it.
__________________
It is called throttle control for a reason.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Default

I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly is wrong with the piston in the pics.If your talking about the dome in the center of the piston,they come with the dome drilled in the piston.The loss of power and wanting to flame out alot are a big sign of loss of compression.Did it mainly want to flame out when it got up to temp?

Mike
nitromustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 640
Default

Nope, loss of power then flamed out. Would not start then after.

I have more here.......these pics are just as bad. A friend is comming over this weekend to take good pics for me with his camera.
Attached Thumbnails
ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-rod-1.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-rod-2.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-piston.jpg  
__________________
It is called throttle control for a reason.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 640
Default

Sleeve pics.

JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR..................I am not bashing Orion at all. I am just said the service I got from them was not good. There are many operations out there who are very busy and do not need to hear about little issues like this. However, to me and other fellow racers, it is big deal when high end motor goes bad..
Attached Thumbnails
ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-sleeve-1.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-sleeve-2.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-sleeve-3.jpg   ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING-sleeve-4.jpg  
__________________
It is called throttle control for a reason.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

i had someone pm me with something like this
though iv never have run this motor iv seen this about it
some ppl have good luck with it and some dont like you
just like the really cheap red dot motor

i always just say get a nova,sirio,or a ninja
and yes a max is good too but a little harder to tune.
your crf is now a paper weight like so many others out there.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

I bet you want to remove or tighten the flywheel locknut, and you use something to hold the piston, but shitz happen..... the piston break through

And now you want to claim the warranty from Orion ?

LOL, Do you think Team Orion is dumb ?
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 AM   #14
Tech Addict
 
German Muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 557
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
i had someone pm me with something like this
though iv never have run this motor iv seen this about it
some ppl have good luck with it and some dont like you
just like the really cheap red dot motor

i always just say get a nova,sirio,or a ninja
and yes a max is good too but a little harder to tune.
your crf is now a paper weight like so many others out there.
lol @ the red dot slam. the red dot makes serious power, is reliable, and lasts a long time if propely maintained. If they do break you get new ones if its a man. defect.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

But Wally always brings forward his love for the Ninja engine..... even when not asked....

Ninja, who is loosing more and more ground (and teamdrivers) mark my words....

To the Topic starter.
I really like to see better pictures, because it's still not clear to me. Is there a hole in the top of the piston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I bet you want to remove or tighten the flywheel locknut, and you use something to hold the piston
Reading is an art.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_freak View Post
No I never used a piston locking tool (Do not trust or believe in them)
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orion 3200 Lipos. Orion Charger, Orion balancer *new price* Mike Marshall R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-07-2008 09:26 AM
FS: Orion Advantage Charger w/2 Orion Carbon Edition 3200 Packs smarking1212 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 05-26-2008 02:44 AM
Orion advantage carbon edition charger + Orion 3200 spec LiPo $150.00 vintagetamiya R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 04-09-2008 05:05 PM
Light Oil & Small Piston Hole vs. Heavy Oil & Large Piston Hole Rich Panganiban Nitro On-Road 2 01-26-2006 04:24 AM
New Orion 1100 micro battert and Orion Mod Elite for Sale Nightbreed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 01-29-2003 02:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:26 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net