Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Novarossi 12-3SCT or Ninja MR-12 >

Novarossi 12-3SCT or Ninja MR-12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi 12-3SCT or Ninja MR-12

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
No contest
ninja
1 cost
2 easier to tune and work on
3 under dog (why i dono coz it won the worlds)
4 looks cooler
5 never had a problem with the damm thing
6 did i say cost.
7 the stock is fast but the tuned is nuts o fast.

novarossi is overrated

All I can say to the guy that started the thread, is consider the source.

1.The ninja is definitely cheaper. Usually you get what you pay for, but not always.
2.Easier to tune and work on? What are you working on that is easier? There seem to be hundreds of examples of well tuned novarossi engines. Why are you having a problem?
3. Underdog: Who cares? There is a reason why everyone compares their stuff to novarossi. Do you really think that the engine that won the worlds was an engine that anybody can actually buy? You forgot to say that Mike Swauger's was really fast also.
4. Looks cooler? Another compelling reason to buy something. The coolest looking engine is on the top step of the podium.
5. Great, you never had a problem. Something that actually matters
6. See number 1
7. Stock nova is fast, the tuned faster.

At least with this question, there is only two answers so you have a 50-50 chance of being "right" if there is a right answer.

To the poster that started the thread:
Everybody wants to get the most out of their money. If the engines were the same cost almost everybody would buy a novarossi. IF you agree with that statement then you need to decide if are willing to spend the extra money. That then is the only question to ask yourself.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks like NovaRossi just added another one to thier team. You can catch all the details at www.redrc.net

Goodluck Josh.
Attached Thumbnails Novarossi 12-3SCT or Ninja MR-12-joshcyrulnr.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi there,
An opinion on a motor is like a ass###e every one has one.
I personally would choose which ever motor you like the best. It really isn't going to matter, all of the motors (Nova, Mega, Sirio, Picco, IDM, Orion and etc.) are all good engines and can win on any given day at any given track. You will always get one that will give you issues and others that will be great from the first day they are in your car.

All you need to do is look after it and it will reward you with competetive performance and reliability.

All the best in your decision.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
All I can say to the guy that started the thread, is consider the source.

1.The ninja is definitely cheaper. Usually you get what you pay for, but not always.
2.Easier to tune and work on? What are you working on that is easier? There seem to be hundreds of examples of well tuned novarossi engines. Why are you having a problem?
3. Underdog: Who cares? There is a reason why everyone compares their stuff to novarossi. Do you really think that the engine that won the worlds was an engine that anybody can actually buy? You forgot to say that Mike Swauger's was really fast also.
4. Looks cooler? Another compelling reason to buy something. The coolest looking engine is on the top step of the podium.
5. Great, you never had a problem. Something that actually matters
6. See number 1
7. Stock nova is fast, the tuned faster.

At least with this question, there is only two answers so you have a 50-50 chance of being "right" if there is a right answer.

To the poster that started the thread:
Everybody wants to get the most out of their money. If the engines were the same cost almost everybody would buy a novarossi. IF you agree with that statement then you need to decide if are willing to spend the extra money. That then is the only question to ask yourself.
2 it seems a ninja keeps its tune better in long mains and if you do have to take the motor apart the screws are a bit nicer on the ninja and sirio too
4 cooler looking well yes ppl buy things that they like the look of.
3 Swauger is always fast no mater what motor he runs
5 yes and thats weird for me as most that know me i like to blow up motors
7 all tuned novas iv seen up here have not been much faster than the stock
though my LL3 tuned was very fast it did not last that long.

and if the 2 motors where the same price id still get the ninja
but thats just me and others that have tolled me this year that they wish they got a ninja instead of there novarossis's and max motors after watching my car and others that got the motor.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Wierd because of the two guys that run ninja at my track, they both can't hold a tune, have idle problems and many other issues...One of the guys is a personal friend of Mr. Mike S, the other is a former worlds competitor now track owner....
my friends Nova plus 12-3sct has almost 6 gallons 30%, same track , looks brand new and is the fastest motor at our track.

I know 'my friend' but I run OS tz and new os speed spec II mostly due to watching these guys, and others who are known can back up my story...

also look at the ninja pipe pics for stinger 'issues'
search for broken ninja pipe and broken nova pipe, guess which you will find
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul D.
Looks like NovaRossi just added another one to thier team. You can catch all the details at www.redrc.net

Goodluck Josh.
I guess Josh doesn't think Novarossi is over-rated. I think he's run just about every brand out there and yet he's going to Novarossi. What does that tell you?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JetMD
I guess Josh doesn't think Novarossi is over-rated. I think he's run just about every brand out there and yet he's going to Novarossi. What does that tell you?
It tells me Novarossi has the best offer of them all. If brand does not matter then money does....
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
It tells me Novarossi has the best offer of them all. If brand does not matter then money does....
Really? You must not be involved in running a business of any kind. Don't you think OS (or let's be rediculous and say a company that makes a lot of money like Traxxas) would pay anything to have him run their motors? I would think someone who races as their livelyhood would run a motor they know they can win with, not just who pays the most. I mean if OS was going to offer you big money to run their motors but you knew you weren't going to win with them, AND you had a lower offer from Novarossi, who would you choose? This is pretty hypothetical but I think you see my point. For guys that have to win races to pay the bills, they are going to go with who they think they can win with.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
Wierd because of the two guys that run ninja at my track, they both can't hold a tune, have idle problems and many other issues...One of the guys is a personal friend of Mr. Mike S, the other is a former worlds competitor now track owner....
my friends Nova plus 12-3sct has almost 6 gallons 30%, same track , looks brand new and is the fastest motor at our track.

I know 'my friend' but I run OS tz and new os speed spec II mostly due to watching these guys, and others who are known can back up my story...

also look at the ninja pipe pics for stinger 'issues'
search for broken ninja pipe and broken nova pipe, guess which you will find
are they running 30%
i can only say what my and my friends motor is doing,runs Awesome.
with 30% it sucked with 20% Awesome.and faster why idono.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JetMD
Don't you think OS (or let's be rediculous and say a company that makes a lot of money like Traxxas) would pay anything to have him run their motors?
Bad examples. If those brands have the intention to win 1/8 onroad races they will do anything but they have to start with creating competive engines.
I was refering to brands like Sirio, Werks (=sirio), Picco, IDM, R&B, JP, MAX and Falcon, all names with high level .21 onroad engines. I can imagine that Sirio is looking for new topdrivers, even more than Novarossi who has the best driver already.
But if Cyrul has the choice to pick one of them I can imagine that money is making the choice
Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IMO, you can be successful with any engine if you take your time and learn what it takes to get the most out of that particular engine. Some people seem to think, that just because they have "experience" running nitro engines, that if they can't get an engine to run right, it must suck. What about the people that can get the engine to run right? What about the people that are consistently winning or placing well with the engine? It can't just be the luck of the draw - i.e. They got the box with the engine that doesn't have problems. You have to start to ask yourself, what are they doing that I'm not doing? What approach are they taking to tuning the engine that I haven't considered yet?

I saw a guy buy quite a number of stock and mod Novarossi and Novarossi-based engines and blow them all up - all because of the way he tuned them. Big money up in smoke every time. I hold nothing against Novarrosi based on his experience.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i've owned a mova based max (MAX SL3 WC MF tuned) as well as a CRF Kyosho and now i have my hands on a Ninja which was owned by ne of the Mugen drivers here in oz.

so far, the MAX has been one of the best engine i have ever owned hands down. i was blown away by the reliability and consistancy of the tun ina 1.2hr final, the power it had (man! did it ever have power!) and the compression, even after break in and two full club days (it still locked at TDC)

the CRF is quite good, and im guessing so will the ninja once i've run it, but i doubt they will be as close, quality wise, to the novas...those damn itialians know they make them well, and they charge accordingly
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

I'm enjoying this debate over the two engines!

My opinion is my trusty work horse Nova 12-3sct! I run with guys that have OS, Ninjas and my Nova's. Each has their positives and negative facts about them. Yes, my beloved Nova's are expensive but I have no regrets in paying the price for the performance that they provide. (I have 10 of them) The power 12 has ceramic bearings and is silky smooth when you pull the trigger. Mind you that is the way it comes out of the box!
The Ninja's are everywhere putting it down. JetMD you know what I am talking about, especially at 301.
Like Wally, I run Tornado and my Power 12-3sct has power to spare!

Both engines are great.. Not good, Great! It is gonna be a Chevy/Ford thing or better yet, a Ferrari (Nova)/Lamborgini (Ninja) thing. Either way you can't go wrong.
Go Novarossi!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I'm enjoying this debate over the two engines!

My opinion is my trusty work horse Nova 12-3sct! I run with guys that have OS, Ninjas and my Nova's. Each has their positives and negative facts about them. Yes, my beloved Nova's are expensive but I have no regrets in paying the price for the performance that they provide. (I have 10 of them) The power 12 has ceramic bearings and is silky smooth when you pull the trigger. Mind you that is the way it comes out of the box!
The Ninja's are everywhere putting it down. JetMD you know what I am talking about, especially at 301.
Like Wally, I run Tornado and my Power 12-3sct has power to spare!

Both engines are great.. Not good, Great! It is gonna be a Chevy/Ford thing or better yet, a Ferrari (Nova)/Lamborgini (Ninja) thing. Either way you can't go wrong.
Go Novarossi!
i like this post alot
Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
JetMD you know what I am talking about, especially at 301.