R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll b getting the IDM EVO3 later today..
will let u guys know how it goes...
Thanks
ck
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez
Motor is fast very smooth powerband lot's of rpm's as for the pipe I would go with the Idm pipe or a mega zx12 pipe since the motor exhaust outlet is smaller. the Nova&max power pipes won't work since they are a little bigger
i have used a nova 2601 and 2630 pipe on the IDM EVO2. both pipes performed well, but the bottom end on the 2601 was a bit better, but top end on the 2630 was better than the 2601. manifolds used were a 5 fin conical and a 6 fin conical. 5 fin on the 2601 was a good allround setup.
i now have the EVO 3, and have the IDM pipe and Manifold. i will hope to use on the weekend and post some results. also try out different pipe and header combos. unfortunatley the nova manifolds wont fit the IDM pipe. but if using a nova manifold, try using the nova seal. i have used the std nova seal/gasket and no leaks at all.nice snug fit. the ridge inside the gasket when used on the IDM motor, actually makes the gasket expand well to fit the header. hope this helps everyone. look forward to run the EVO 3.
differences are the internal crank bore, balanced crank and silicone filled, slightly more sleeve work, and bit more agressive in the crank timing.
cant wait to run it
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

is the JLR based on the evo2 or 3? would the skyline v12r pipe fit the motor and is it a good combo?
Neesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neesh
is the JLR based on the evo2 or 3? would the skyline v12r pipe fit the motor and is it a good combo?
the JLR was based on the EVO2. but in saying that, now that picco have released the EVo3, now JLR will be basing teir engines on the EVo3, as is IDM . they are very similar engines. base motors are the same. the EVO 3 IDM and EVO 2, have IDM personalised black heads, with danielle ileasi signed.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 05-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Default JLR now an EVO3

Patto ...I don't believe thats correct. I don't think OFNA and Jeffrey Linn have made any decisions on changing the JLR as of afew days ago. I spoke to Jeffrey just afew days ago. Where are you getting your info or are you just speculating?
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
Patto ...I don't believe thats correct. I don't think OFNA and Jeffrey Linn have made any decisions on changing the JLR as of afew days ago. I spoke to Jeffrey just afew days ago. Where are you getting your info or are you just speculating?
i am sorry, i was speculating, but i cant see the point in producing 2 motors from the same factory. the evo 2 and evo 3 are picco engines, as is the red dot , yeah ? so if the evo2 picco has been updated to the evo3, wouldnt it make sense to be using the updated engine for the JLR ? that was my point. picco is stamping the crankcases for others with their logos, as long as the picco stays on the head, they seem to be happy with this.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalabob64
I ran the Blackheaded version of the IDM ,this was my first run with the motor, it was sick fast,an had a chance to race it against the JL RedDot both motors where in S720,s we were the fastest cars on the track.I am happy with this motor an will doing alot more testing ,Also the pipe an header i use was the IDM,if for some reason you cant get the the IdM,get the Mega pipe an Header combo work also.
So how does it compare to the Mod CRF?

Thanks Bobby
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Anyone running a IDM , or evo3 based picco engine, that is having trouble sourcing glow plugs. i have tried a ninja 6 plug. works a treat and have checked internal protrusion. sits flush with the head button inside. so if you cant source the Picco plugs, there is an alternitive
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 05-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Anyone running a IDM , or evo3 based picco engine, that is having trouble sourcing glow plugs. i have tried a ninja 6 plug. works a treat and have checked internal protrusion. sits flush with the head button inside. so if you cant source the Picco plugs, there is an alternitive
The other plugs that I used were Sirio & OS #7
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez
The other plugs that I used were Sirio & OS #7
i havent tried a sirio plug, but i checked OS, Nova, and ninja plugs withthe head button removed. OS plug protruded past flush inside the head. Nova plug didnt reach, and the ninjs plug was flush. i havent tried to run the OS plug as it protruded, but the nova plug leaked. i ran the ninja plug yesterday and no leaks and worked a treat
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #26
Tech Regular

The IDM EVO3 is not the same as the JL red dot. The engine case will be the same for the JL for a bit longer. The EVO3 was strictly for IDM and Picco at this time. Not to say they will not change over. As for the engines being the same the IDM modified which is the engine that I import they are hand modified and hand fitted piston and sleeve set. There are also some differences with the crankshaft timing on the IDM compared to the JL red dot. They are also both fast motors the difference being that one is hand modified and one is not. The Evo3's are out now and they have a different crank shaft in the engine from the EVO3 as well as the crankcase design. If you guys have any questions about the IDM engines please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I would be more thenm happy to try to answer the questions you have.

Jerry

Last edited by xspower; 05-14-2007 at 10:46 AM.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower
The IDM EVO3 is not the same as the JL red dot. The engine case will be the same for the JL for a bit longer. The EVO3 was strictly for IDM and Picco at this time. Not to say they will not change over. As for the engines being the same the IDM modified which is the engine that I import they are hand modified and hand fitted piston and sleeve set. For glow plugs you can use a Sirio plug in the engine. There are also some differences with the crankshaft timing on the IDM compared to the JL red dot. They are also both fast motors the difference being that one is hand modified and one is not. The Evo3's are out now and they have a different crank shaft in the engine from the EVO3 as well as the crankcase design. If you guys have any questions about the IDM engines please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I would be more thenm happy to try to answer the questions you have.

Jerry
What's up Jerry RU heading to the 301 race
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #28
Tech Regular

I cannot make the race I have had some issues down here that I have to tend to at this point.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower
I cannot make the race I have had some issues down here that I have to tend to at this point.
Good luck with it & see ya soon
Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #30

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I think another plug that can be used is the LRP plug. I have a few so ill check it out for you guys.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote