R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #106
Tech Master

Just a general note for any engine before break in , 2 things will change your tune that is Fuel oil viscosity and pipe... but generally speaking the carb setting SHOULD be in run in mode ie traditionally rich .. but you will have to see once you start it.. giving you a base setting with changable perameters may be leading you astray ...

Just start it and use the first 30 seconds to tune HSN to clean 2 stroke mode..
and go from there ... The good thing with the Go Tech set up is they will tell you if they are too lean .. they will choke ... simple just richen from there ..
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #107
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran a heap of tanks through the 5P at the track on Sunday. I ended up using a 7.5mm intake restrictor to help get engine temps up. It worked well, and i had the temps up around 120C, i was very surprised how little i had to adjust needle settings with the smaller restrictor, and even more sow how much power it had. I love these engines, cant wait to get a 7P added to the collection...
MASSIVE MODS A-MAIN & HB 444 RACING FUEL & GO ENGINES
www.massivemods.com.au
Rookie 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM   #108
Tech Master

Ok just some findings on the 5 Port

we tested a few different fuels at llrrc last sunday and we managed to get 11min 28 to a 125 ml tank on the Go Tech 5 port . Thats pretty bloody good !

Head shimming at .5

Using our RTR fuel 20% nitro .

Temp around 140 to 145 Deg C got her up to 169 Deg C at one stage...
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #109
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods
Head shimming at .5
Ummm Do you mean .05 on the head shims????

Because .5 is 1/2" right?
Paradoxmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxmaker
Ummm Do you mean .05 on the head shims????

Because .5 is 1/2" right?
0.500mm or .020"
dido41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #111
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido41
0.500mm or .020"
LOL metric... that foreign measurement system
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #112
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kemorc Send a message via MSN to Kemorc

metric, the best measuring system ever.
Kemorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #113
Tech Master

GO 21 7+2 mod jp-1 pipe. This motor came with a 3 needle carb and insert.
I did the 6 tank heat cycle break in on the box and 3 tanks on the track not to over rev the motor on the straight. Then started to lean the hsn for performance. I got the temp between 220-240Deg and it seem to run good. But after it cooled down and I used a heat gun to warm it before restarting then went to make another run, it hardly moves around the track. It is way rich and needs the hsn turned in at least a half turn, but after5 laps I have to turn the hsn back that half turn. It just does not seem to hold a tune. What am I doing wrong? What is the max temp I can go with out hurting the motor
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #114
Tech Master

Tune changing is common . You will find in the morning when the air is dense the engine will run rich , then as the day goes on it runs lean . this is one thing you have to deal with the other is tuning from half tank to get a mean tank pressure.

I suggest filling it up, do a few hot laps and tune from half tank. then run the tank out to see it it leans out or sags in power , if it does then richen .

it will take a while to get the hang of tuning dynamics but be patient and learn, and i would advise against tuning to a temp , just tune for performance .
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #115
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
Tune changing is common . You will find in the morning when the air is dense the engine will run rich , then as the day goes on it runs lean . this is one thing you have to deal with the other is tuning from half tank to get a mean tank pressure.

I suggest filling it up, do a few hot laps and tune from half tank. then run the tank out to see it it leans out or sags in power , if it does then richen .

it will take a while to get the hang of tuning dynamics but be patient and learn, and i would advise against tuning to a temp , just tune for performance .

i understand not going with the temp of a motor. but what is the highest i can go on the temp with out hurting it? i toasted a motor when i got it as high as 365Deg. thats the temp you remove the brearings at.
i will give your tunning tips a try and see how they work for me.
thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #116
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido41 View Post
i understand not going with the temp of a motor. but what is the highest i can go on the temp with out hurting it? i toasted a motor when i got it as high as 365Deg. thats the temp you remove the brearings at.
i will give your tunning tips a try and see how they work for me.
thanks
I accidentally ran my 5 port too hot for most of a tank, ending up with a temping out at 372 (188C).... It was making that awful gurgling sound as the fuel was starting to boil in the lines....

That was during my 1st 1/2gal of fuel (2 liters for you metric folk)

It didn't seem to suffer any ill effects and if anything now after almost 3 gal it seems to run better than ever.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #117
Tech Master

thanks guys, i will crank it up this comming weekend and see what it does.
i may also try the other tune method up this thread,s page that massivemods posted..
Old 06-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #118
Tech Master

What ive found with Go Tech engines in particular , is they are pretty forgiving. So running hot is not a problem, what ive found is when they are too lean or hot they will bog in power or you will find that out of the corner it will be doughy then come on tap ... thats too lean on HSN , they tend to like lean bottom these engines.. When i tune for team drivers there is not one temp gun in sight , in fact if one of the boys or anyone comes near me with one i take it from them and remove the batteries.. lol
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kemorc Send a message via MSN to Kemorc

most racers tune by their ear anyways

everyone should know tuning to a temp is a no no.
Kemorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #120
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

These engines are spastic!! Alot of people with their wallets in their mouths at our track!!! 70 drivers today (all classes) with 5 of the A main truggys powered by Go motors!!! 3 5p and 2 7p!!
Rookie 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote