Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Torque wrench suitable for RC engine head bolts? >

Torque wrench suitable for RC engine head bolts?

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By TeamCarnage
  • 2 Post By dan_vector
  • 1 Post By Dave_S
  • 2 Post By HaulinBass
  • 2 Post By VS_Rody

Torque wrench suitable for RC engine head bolts?

Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 PM
  #1  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 6,030
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Torque wrench suitable for RC engine head bolts?

Generally speaking, I torque bolts on my RC cars until "they feel tight enough", which is okay for most applications, but I notice a subtle difference in the pinch in my engines depending on how much I tighten the cylinder head screws -- if I tighten the cylinder head bolts more, the pinch is reduced slightly, indicating the sleeve is being deformed slightly. This isn't a surprise -- aluminum is easy to bend -- but it's clear I really ought to be tightening my cylinder head bolts to the exact same torque every single time if possible. Unfortunately I haven't found a torque wrench suitable for use with 1/4" hex bits, or that can measure such small torque values. Can anyone suggest a good torque wrench for RC use?
fyrstormer is offline  
Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I like things.
Posts: 4,826
Default


Dave_S is online now  
Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,295
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Generally speaking, I torque bolts on my RC cars until "they feel tight enough", which is okay for most applications, but I notice a subtle difference in the pinch in my engines depending on how much I tighten the cylinder head screws -- if I tighten the cylinder head bolts more, the pinch is reduced slightly, indicating the sleeve is being deformed slightly. This isn't a surprise -- aluminum is easy to bend -- but it's clear I really ought to be tightening my cylinder head bolts to the exact same torque every single time if possible. Unfortunately I haven't found a torque wrench suitable for use with 1/4" hex bits, or that can measure such small torque values. Can anyone suggest a good torque wrench for RC use?
'kin tight with 4 white knuckles will do it..... done me fine for 25+ years!

A quick google search showed me this as the top item. Dunno if its available nowadays but a start.

Google is usually a good place to start

dan_vector is offline  
Old 08-05-2020, 01:37 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 6,030
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I know from experience that tightening cylinder-head bolts with a white-knuckle grip will damage things.

Google is a good place to get a million different answers. I was hoping to cut through the BS and get suggestions from people who've already figured out the best answer. That's what forums are supposed to be for, after all.

God, $197 for a torque driver? That's insane. I could buy 10 big torque wrenches for that price -- they wouldn't do me any good, but I could buy them anyway. What makes the Sturtevant Richmont torque driver worth $197?
fyrstormer is offline  
Old 08-05-2020, 01:54 PM
  #5  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,129
Default

The same as a Dewalt battery drill compared with a cheap Walmart thing.

Just go to a local tool/machine shop and they highly will have something affordable. I was also given a torque screwdriver but to be hones I never use it. It was very useful with our engines where the head was bolted on the sleeve with the screws in the slleve. There we felt a huge deforming of the sleeve when the bolts were not tightened the same as they were, With the normal concept engines where a brass sleeve is used and the head boltrf onto the crankcase you indeed can feel a difference when rebuilded but that is no issue, when starting up it is gone because the re-seating of the parts on higher temps..
Roelof is offline  
Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I like things.
Posts: 4,826
Default

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I know from experience that tightening cylinder-head bolts with a white-knuckle grip will damage things.

Google is a good place to get a million different answers. I was hoping to cut through the BS and get suggestions from people who've already figured out the best answer. That's what forums are supposed to be for, after all.

God, $197 for a torque driver? That's insane. I could buy 10 big torque wrenches for that price -- they wouldn't do me any good, but I could buy them anyway. What makes the Sturtevant Richmont torque driver worth $197?
You can try cheaper 1/4 inch pound driver with dial indicator for much cheaper.

Decent torque wrenches are expensive.

I'm not sure if that's good price for that unit.

Dave_S is online now  
Old 08-05-2020, 06:32 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,859
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I use a Wheeler Engineering "Fat Wrench" for my guns. It would be perfect for our RC cars in a variety places. I think I paid $60 for it at Cabelas.
Dave_S and fyrstormer like this.
TeamCarnage is offline  
Old 08-06-2020, 11:13 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,295
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I know from experience that tightening cylinder-head bolts with a white-knuckle grip will damage things.

Google is a good place to get a million different answers. I was hoping to cut through the BS and get suggestions from people who've already figured out the best answer. That's what forums are supposed to be for, after all.

God, $197 for a torque driver? That's insane. I could buy 10 big torque wrenches for that price -- they wouldn't do me any good, but I could buy them anyway. What makes the Sturtevant Richmont torque driver worth $197?
It seems that you took my tongue in cheek response literally! Over the years you get a feel for it and know how tight things need to be without having to use a torque wrench for everything. I'm an aircraft engineer and spend most of my days dealing with ensuring things are correctly torqued to very tight specs. I can hand tighten bolts and be so very close to the correct torque when final torque loaded with the correct torque wrench. So for me I don't need to worry. If you have little 'feeling' then knock yourself out.... Not needed in my opinion for the most part, don't over think it. In all the years I've been racing nitro I've never seen anyone use a torque wrench on head bolts - if you can do any damage to those using a normal flat head screw driver or allen driver (not a 1/4 drive 90 degree wrench!) then you are much stronger than I am.
davidl and nitrodude like this.
dan_vector is offline  
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I like things.
Posts: 4,826
Default

If you do get one please share what you end up going with. I've been wanting one for my 1/5 engines for a while.
fyrstormer likes this.
Dave_S is online now  
Old 08-06-2020, 07:38 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: grande prairie alberta canada
Posts: 2,857
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

German torque specs for me, goodentight
Dave_S and fyrstormer like this.
HaulinBass is offline  
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM
  #12  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 6,030
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
It seems that you took my tongue in cheek response literally! Over the years you get a feel for it and know how tight things need to be without having to use a torque wrench for everything. I'm an aircraft engineer and spend most of my days dealing with ensuring things are correctly torqued to very tight specs. I can hand tighten bolts and be so very close to the correct torque when final torque loaded with the correct torque wrench. So for me I don't need to worry. If you have little 'feeling' then knock yourself out.... Not needed in my opinion for the most part, don't over think it. In all the years I've been racing nitro I've never seen anyone use a torque wrench on head bolts - if you can do any damage to those using a normal flat head screw driver or allen driver (not a 1/4 drive 90 degree wrench!) then you are much stronger than I am.
I have a pretty good feel for how tight fasteners can be tightened, but for certain applications where micrometer tolerances matter, I like to be exact.
fyrstormer is offline  
Old 08-06-2020, 08:41 PM
  #13  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 6,030
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
I use a Wheeler Engineering "Fat Wrench" for my guns. It would be perfect for our RC cars in a variety places. I think I paid $60 for it at Cabelas.
Hmm. That looks promising.
fyrstormer is offline  
Old 08-17-2020, 11:18 PM
  #14  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
VS_Rody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Allevard FRANCE
Posts: 211
Default

I found this one : https://www.worldchampionproducts.co...le-04-2nm.html


Rick Vessell and Dave_S like this.
VS_Rody is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.