Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Rody Victosport VSB01 -  OS XZ-B based >

Rody Victosport VSB01 - OS XZ-B based

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Rody Victosport VSB01 - OS XZ-B based

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
So, while we understand you are ranting here a bit, I hope you do understand that Rody does do a lot of engine work and development. Not to mention that he does hold a world championship title, from a time when engines were a lot less reliable.

Do you feel that same way towards Novarossi? They are not applying DLC to their crankshaft?

And please too be considerate in that Rody's native language is not English, as such the translation and wording as stated should be taken into consideration, and perhaps he meant to say that by less direct on the throttle is perhaps less snap and responsive-ness to iniatial servo input.
Understood. Perhaps he will elaborate a bit more.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks 1/8 IC Fan for helping me out.
Indeed English is not my native language and so sometimes an extra explanation is needed.

DLC stands for "Diamond Like Coating" and this is a very thin layer of very hard coating applied on a already hardened surface.
These treatments are generally applied on machine tooling like carbide cutters, drills etc. This to increase the life and cutting chips not getting stuck.

Depending on the type of DLC coating(yes there is more then one) a certain temperature(heat treatment) is needed to apply this coating.
Since the crankshaft has already been heat-treated before in general the crankshaft becomes a little softer and so more flex on the shaft itself appears and can be of influence on the performances.

Before DLC treatment was released I tried the TIN surface coating(gold colored finish) but after we applied this coating, the crankshafts were like there was no more heat-treatment and there was a real big difference between.
First I tested the engine on the track with the normal crankshaft and the throttle response and power was very good.
Then we changed the crankshaft to the one with the TIN treatment and the engine had the same top-speed rpm, however it took more time to get to this rpm and also the engine felt soft on the throttle.

When we tested the DLC treatment in the same way, the difference was very less because the crankshaft did not go too soft but was still a little softer despite the low temperatures needed to apply the DLC coating.
These test were made several years ago and in the meantime the quality of the treatments are increasing, so the difference will be less and less.

With this said, before we started to apply the DLC coatings, we had very little problems with the wear of the big-end of the crankshaft, however wear always occurs but I think in the case of our VSB01 engine where I choose not to apply the DLC coating is not only marketing but also a choice of the costs.
Since we are running small productions costs of the different type of crankshaft and design are already more expensive and so I decided not to apply the DLC coating here.
Once we have sold the first batch then I hope to be able to release some other models which will have the DLC coating included.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hi Guys,

Just want to let you know that the VS Racing engines are now also available at AMAIN

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Rody, on you 2101R onroad motors, is that the same carb as on the old P02 Tecnopower Motor?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Rody, on you 2101R onroad motors, is that the same carb as on the old P02 Tecnopower Motor?
Yes, correct, I still had a small stock of TP carburetors and cooling-heads which I have been using for the VSR01 engines.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Are the other carbs on the new VS Motors just relabeled then, or had they had some work done as well.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Are the other carbs on the new VS Motors just relabeled then, or had they had some work done as well.
The other carburetors are unchanged for now, I need to do some experimenting to see if something can be improved there, however this always takes quite some time because sometimes we think in one situation we have found a good solution and next time we try the new idea does not do the same anymore.
So for now we stick to what we have.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Rody are your pipes similar in performance to the o.s. 2090 and 2060 pipes?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

To piggy back off of the question, Rody, have you tried the Mielke 2500CT (EFRA 2041) pipe by chance?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by underway
Rody are your pipes similar in performance to the o.s. 2090 and 2060 pipes?
They are similar but with the VSB01 they provide better torque on the low rpm range.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

To piggy back off of the question, Rody, have you tried the Mielke 2500CT (EFRA 2041) pipe by chance?
No problem, haven't had the possibility to test these with our engines, however if Mielke has not changed his way of manufacturing I can say that their pipes are very strong but also rigid, may be a little too rigid in my opinion to get a good resonance. However this does not mean that they do not work with our engines, just haven't tried these...:-)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So, for an off road buggy, which pipe and engine combo should we choose?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by adrictan
So, for an off road buggy, which pipe and engine combo should we choose?
We have obtained the best results with the EFRA 2135 pipe set which you can find on our website worldchampionproducts.com here: http://www.worldchampionproducts.com...-l50-dirt.html
The VSB01/EFRA 2135 combo can be found here: http://www.worldchampionproducts.com...5-c-vsb01.html

or on the Amain website: https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?fb=2269&t=2&lg=fb
The pipe under part# VSR-302135L50HD
The engine under part# VSR-VSB01

Last edited by VS_Rody; 01-11-2017 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

hi rody could you tell us a bit more about your onroad engine and how it differs
from the O.S. r2102 maybe opening a thread in the onroad section would be a good idea.

thanks rick...
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rick oxley
hi rody could you tell us a bit more about your onroad engine and how it differs
from the O.S. r2102 maybe opening a thread in the onroad section would be a good idea.

thanks rick...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...l#post14797967

Here we go, started the thread for you, and Rody, I hope you can add some info to the thread as well.

- being on road biased I have to admit I am pretty excited for the new mills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.