Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Rody Victosport VSB01 -  OS XZ-B based >

Rody Victosport VSB01 - OS XZ-B based

Like Tree52Likes

Rody Victosport VSB01 - OS XZ-B based

Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Rody Victosport VSB01 - OS XZ-B based

Rody Roem, who should not need much intro. has released a motor with the help of OS, and given how much he has modded both the buggy and on road versions of the speed motors, this is awesome. All with a twist of course it's not a simple rebadge like Bullitt or Maxima, but new internals.

http://victosport.com/
Attached Thumbnails Rody Victosport VSB01 -  OS XZ-B based-vs0b1.jpg   Rody Victosport VSB01 -  OS XZ-B based-vs05002_5-150x125.jpg  

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-06-2016 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Autocorrect sucks...
Old 09-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

No DLC coating on the crank. I would be concerned about the crankpin wear.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
No DLC coating on the crank. I would be concerned about the crankpin wear.
I just noticed that too...IMO every engine should have DLC
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Lord

In the onroad arround me I do see many people with fast worn P/S sets.....
Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
In the onroad arround me I do see many people with fast worn P/S sets.....
I'm sure you may see one of these before us over here, let us know what you think.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Tech Lord

The onroad version is fast, I was told by a friend who also measures the timings that the crankshaft has 3 degree more timing than the normal 2102. But I have seen several with the normal Rody 2101 (Tecnopower head) and the gold head Victor sport not reaching the 5 liter mark.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Tech Champion

New motor shows DLC coated Crank! On Rody's FB Page is the on road motor that shows the DLC!
Attached Thumbnails Rody Victosport VSB01 -  OS XZ-B based-14724579_1098381630210576_2971673146516762396_n.jpg  

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-06-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hi everybody, long time not been around in this place so let us see if we can get some information out here.

This thread has started with the released VSB01 and already some questions about the non DLC treatment of the specific crankshaft of the VSB01 engine.

2 main reasons for the non DLC treatment.
1) The DLC treatment makes the crankshaft itself a little more flexible(softer). This will make the engine a little less direct on the throttle in the low rpm area.
The quality of the non DLC crankshafts in the OS production are excellent and the big-end holds up very well, of course not as long as the DLC crankshaft but for me enough to pass 2 piston/liner sets.
2) Because the crankshaft of the VSB01 is an unique design in the OS production this has made my price to obtain this crankshaft in my engine quite important. If I would have added the DLC we would be even worse.

As for the VS engines which show the DLC treatment these are mainly the on-road engines on which I have not yet had the possibility to create my own crankshaft.

Hope this info has helped you further...:-)

Rody Roem
Winner's Circle likes this.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you for the clarification. It is exciting to see an OS motor being further developed past just a rebadge as with Maxima and LRP.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Hi everybody, long time not been around in this place so let us see if we can get some information out here.

This thread has started with the released VSB01 and already some questions about the non DLC treatment of the specific crankshaft of the VSB01 engine.

1) The DLC treatment makes the crankshaft itself a little more flexible(softer). This will make the engine a little less direct on the throttle in the low rpm area.The quality of the non DLC crankshafts in the OS production are excellent and the big-end holds up very well, of course not as long as the DLC crankshaft but for me enough to pass 2 piston/liner sets.
2) Because the crankshaft of the VSB01 is an unique design in the OS production this has made my price to obtain this crankshaft in my engine quite important. If I would have added the DLC we would be even worse.

As for the VS engines which show the DLC treatment these are mainly the on-road engines on which I have not yet had the possibility to create my own crankshaft.

Hope this info has helped you further...:-)

Rody Roem
How is this even possible,If DLC is a form of harding.This what you are saying is not true and you should just stay with the facts, like you mention of it being a higher price thing.

"DLC Coating stands for diamond-like carbon coating, and is a nanocomposite coating that has unique properties of natural diamond low friction, high hardness, and high corrosion resistance."
Old 11-24-2016, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kyosho28
How is this even possible,If DLC is a form of harding.This what you are saying is not true and you should just stay with the facts, like you mention of it being a higher price thing.

"DLC Coating stands for diamond-like carbon coating, and is a nanocomposite coating that has unique properties of natural diamond low friction, high hardness, and high corrosion resistance."
DLC is only a surface treatment, it does not permeate through the pores. I am sure what Rody is referring to is the depositing of the DLC on his crank (depending on material properties) contributes to material elasticity.
ceh329 likes this.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-24-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

I believe there are 2 ways to add DLC, as a cold treatment and as a heat treatment.

In case of a heat treatment and a slow cool down you will undo the hardening a bit.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
<Snip>
1) The DLC treatment makes the crankshaft itself a little more flexible(softer). This will make the engine a little less direct on the throttle in the low rpm area.
How exactly was this theory tested?
Less direct on the throttle? Thats marketing garbage.
If the only reason is cost, say so. Don't try to sugarcoat it with side-benefits like throttle response due to softness.
PEASNQUES likes this.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timjs
How exactly was this theory tested?
Less direct on the throttle? Thats marketing garbage.
If the only reason is cost, say so. Don't try to sugarcoat it with side-benefits like throttle response due to softness.
So, while we understand you are ranting here a bit, I hope you do understand that Rody does do a lot of engine work and development. Not to mention that he does hold a world championship title, from a time when engines were a lot less reliable.

Do you feel that same way towards Novarossi? They are not applying DLC to their crankshaft?

And please too be considerate in that Rody's native language is not English, as such the translation and wording as stated should be taken into consideration, and perhaps he meant to say that by less direct on the throttle is perhaps less snap and responsive-ness to iniatial servo input.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

maybe it has something to do with weight balance with the dlc coating while the crank is spinning much like an trucks driveshaft when it starts spinning too fast it will start to actually distort from a straight line sort of like a wet noodle.
i cant say what hes saying is 100% factual but at the speed these things spin at strange things happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.