Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Decided to practice porting and polishing engine parts. Tell me how I did. >

Decided to practice porting and polishing engine parts. Tell me how I did.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decided to practice porting and polishing engine parts. Tell me how I did.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by am
How much have you modded that piston? It is very important that the piston covers the exhaustport completly when the piston is at TDC.
Not at all. What would I modify the piston for?

Also, thanks for mentioning this, because you just jogged my memory that the piston skirt is cut wider on one side than the other side, and I never realized why until now. I don't remember which way I installed it, so I'll check that when I get home.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Look through te photo's at this page:
https://www.facebook.com/mag.tunedengines?fref=ts

He does a lot of modding to pistons.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Yay, I didn't install the piston backwards! Still haven't had time to take it out for a run though.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Ran the engine again. It seemed to rev-up a little more readily, but that could just be because of the cold dense air. I never got the engine above 212F, I kept leaning it out bit by bit and it just never warmed up all the way, though I didn't try leaning it out until it gagged on hard acceleration, so I didn't lean it out *too* much. I probably need to buy a baby-sock and put it over the heatsink so it'll warm up faster.

In any event, it didn't explode, and that's what I was really worried about.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Anf
Tech Initiate

Generally you do not want to be touching the outside of the sleeve as it will reduce the seal between that and the crankcase.
Changing the actual port timing will achieve more than polishing or making cuts in the sleeve.
Often just changing the crank timing will give you a performance increase and that is very easy to modify.
Most important is to measure what you have before modifications.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

I made sure not to make any cuts that intersected the parts of the sleeve that touch the crankcase.

The crankshaft might benefit from some modification, but I can't find a good guide for that. The only part I can figure out just by looking at pictures is filling the end of the crankshaft with silicone to smooth the flow of intake air, and maybe polishing the inside of the crankshaft for the same reason. The crankshaft already has a "turbo scoop" cut into it, though, and all of the edges were clean from the factory, so I doubt there's much I can do to improve the crankshaft at this point.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I made sure not to make any cuts that intersected the parts of the sleeve that touch the crankcase.

The crankshaft might benefit from some modification, but I can't find a good guide for that. The only part I can figure out just by looking at pictures is filling the end of the crankshaft with silicone to smooth the flow of intake air, and maybe polishing the inside of the crankshaft for the same reason. The crankshaft already has a "turbo scoop" cut into it, though, and all of the edges were clean from the factory, so I doubt there's much I can do to improve the crankshaft at this point.
Be careful with polishing the inside of the crank. You want air/fuel mix to tumble so it will mix as much as possible. The spinning effect the crank produces also helps to "feed" the transfer ports. It could hinder performance more than help it. You could get away with doing a "Bee Stripe" polishing or just the last 1/3 of it.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Good to know. Honestly I'm not sure I care that much to polish the inside of the crankshaft, but anyway the turbulence inside the crankcase and combustion chamber should stir things up enough on their own.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Finally got the chance to do a few speed runs with the modified engine. It seems to spool-up better, though I can't tell if the top speed has changed. I was fine with the previous top speed, though, so that's fine.

35,000rpm sure sounds pretty with a tuned pipe.