R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 12-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Decided to practice porting and polishing engine parts. Tell me how I did.

I'm trying to find a way to get a little more power out of a .18 engine that isn't practical to upgrade, and I remembered reading an article about porting and polishing nitro engines, so I dug out the article and grabbed some worn-out parts to practice on. Pictures follow; before is on the left, after is on the right.

Conrod beveling and polishing

Cylinder sleeve porting and polishing

I dug a little too deep on one of the guide channels and changed the shape of the inner port surface, but that's what practicing is for. Anyway, the alteration is on the lower edge of the port, so it shouldn't affect timing even if I were going to use this cylinder sleeve again.

Comments? Suggestions?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Also, are there any mods that are specifically better-suited to improving low-end torque?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All the port massaging usually adds to the top end of the motor. If you need low end power, youll find the best results with a tuned pipe.
REX Engines USA
RW Mods
Hoese37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Default porting

check out ( section 8 racing ) on facebook the profile picture is a modded sleeve . there is some really good pictures and information on the page. if you are into porting you will like the pictures trust me.
ArronRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I imagine the rods would have to be polished to ensure there werent any micro-abrasions that could lead to premature failure but that is pure speculation on my part since I have messed with anything like this.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
All the port massaging usually adds to the top end of the motor. If you need low end power, youll find the best results with a tuned pipe.
In that case, which qualities should a tuned-pipe have to give an engine more low-end torque without making it suffocate in its own exhaust fumes at high RPM? Currently the engine just uses a hollow-can pipe.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
I imagine the rods would have to be polished to ensure there werent any micro-abrasions that could lead to premature failure but that is pure speculation on my part since I have messed with anything like this.
The conrod is polished, just not to a mirror-shine. There are machining marks from the original manufacture that are more prominent than the marks I left after beveling, so I don't think it will lead to premature failure.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

you see some gains with this and it looks good. On the cut you went too deep make sure you use a diamond file on the chrome and get all burrs and sharp edges off so it doesnt scratch the piston.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail [email protected] Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Well, those were just practice parts; the only part that will ever be used is the conrod, because it isn't worn-out already. While I may bevel the conrods on my other engines to reduce turbulence, the only engine I have that runs at top speed for extended periods is my Picco .08, so I think I'll test the porting on that engine first. Of course, that's the smallest engine too, so that makes it all the more important to get the cut depth just-right.

In fact, I decided to do that this evening, once I found a finer diamond-grinder in my Dremel toolbox. Here's the results:

As of right now I know the engine still runs, but that's all I know. First of all, it's too late to take the little buggy for a drive, and second, my engines HATE the synthetic machine oil I use when rebuilding them, and they're an incredible pain to get started the first couple times after a rebuild. I really need to find a rebuild oil that's more-compatible with nitro fuel oil.

I've read stories where people have ported their engines and then promptly blew them up from over-revving. I'm happy with how fast the Picco .08 goes already, so if I get more RPMs out of this mod, I might just take advantage of the opportunity to tune it richer to keep the engine better-lubricated.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #10
Tech Addict

This is a very good engine rebuild oil. Also for after-run if you will. It has a very high capilary-effect (sp?) and diggs in everywhere. Been using it for many years

http://tamiya-color.com/shop/en/8182...ent-spray.html
Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Does it come in a non-spray format? I do my rebuilds in a carpeted apartment bedroom, I'd much rather drip the oil where it needs to go.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Not that I know of. But its no problem regulating the flow, at least when using the included straw.
Looks like its out of production now? I bought a few cans some years ago, so I havent had to buy one for a long time.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Just buy some nitro engine after run oil. Works great for reassembling a nitro engine with no ill side effects when starting after a rebuild.
Micah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
am
Tech Master

How much have you modded that piston? It is very important that the piston covers the exhaustport completly when the piston is at TDC.
Top Elite distributor Norway
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Just buy some nitro engine after run oil. Works great for reassembling a nitro engine with no ill side effects when starting after a rebuild.
I was wondering if after-run oil would work. Thanks for confirming.