Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Engine Bearings...... Which company?? >

Engine Bearings...... Which company??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Bearings...... Which company??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Just remember to read between the lines. I am sure with all the info here one can make the proper decision!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
99.9 % of the front bearing issues I see are small grit getting into the bearing...the bearing feels like junk, but just needs a good flush and cleaning ! even 1 tiny grain of sand can make even the most expensive bearing feel like junk
this is very true and caused from oil pulsing in and out of the front bearing from constant changing internal crankcase pressures . the same oil goes out and back in the bearing a little and with it is fine grit which is very detrimental

i have personally had very very good luck along with many many others with the 17011 front engine bearing from novarossi and have had really good luck with novarossi rear engine bearings also , they cost more but IMO are worth every penny

there are decent CHEAP bearings out there and i used to have good luck when using them but seen a good number of failures from them and will not carry them again until the company has proved their products are of the best quality again
Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

It all comes down to personal preference with all products. There have been products I used and didn't care for that others loved and vise versa. I personally like the TKO front ceramics with the opposing shields. I like that they have single lips facing each other one to help keep the charge in and one to keep the dirt out. The nova 17011 is a double shielded bearing with both shields on the outer side of the ball and retainer and while it works better then alot of other single shielded bearings, the bearing still has twin negative lipped seals which still allows the charge to sneak under the lip and weep slightly attracting foreign debris where as the TKO front has opposing seals so the fresh charge hits the positive seal, creates down pressure on the lip creating a better seal. It is not a air tight seal but it certainly slows the amount of fuel/oil and the velocity it has when it reaches the other seal resulting in better pressure retention.

I have had very good luck with them and all of the bearings I have personally used have given at least 4-5 good gallons and most of the time I just replace them after 4-5 gallons just as a pre-maintenance type thing. i figure since I am in there for a full inspection, might as well start with a fresh bearing while I have it apart. I have seen bearings go alot longer as well but the average seems to be about 5 gallons give or take a little. I have had alot of guys that are very happy with the nova bearings and alot that were not but coming from a stand point of building engines for customers. I run what works for me and has the best track record in my eyes. The goal is to have as little problems as possible and the TKO double shielded bearings give me that.

Monty mentioned people who do it for a living have another way of looking at things. I definately did not take it as him calling anyone out specifically but from someone like me who tries to make it more of an income than others, I always try to look out for the best interest of my business and my customers and after talking with others in a similar boat as me, we all do what we feel is best in our own eyes and based off of our own personal experience so if one product treats someone well and a different product treats someone else well, then thats what those individuals will roll with until either the product quality and performance deteriorates and/or something better hits the market that increases their success ratio.

One last thing since this was also mentioned. Some people will say they are just doing for the good of the people and hobby but in my personal opinion, anyone who carries a product, advertises a product or service of any kind with a mark up is trying to make money regardless of how small of a profit margin they claim they have. Yes most of us business owners love the hobby and sport and regularly participate but lets call a spade a spade. If it looks like a duck, quacks like duck, it most likely is a duck. People can say all they want that they do it to help people out which may be true but there is also motive to make money along the way otherwise it wouldn't be worth all the time and trouble it takes to do this on a regular and consistant basis.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

^^^Very true.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Prophet

You guys can look at it however you'd like but it is 100% true

I don't care about being the coolest engine guy or the engine guy with the most sales or yada yada yada , one reason I hate being called a "modder" , I have considered most of the guys that call themselves "modders" something a lil special .(based on experiences from years past)

Ask any racer who has purchased any products frrom me , I can't do it for free but I don't make enough to do anything with the profits , shit , it doesn't even completely pay for me to be able to race .

One reason why I dislike front bearings with shields on both sides is because there is no lubrication allowed into the rolling part of the bearing besides the grease that it was provided with when built . The grease works fairly Well for a little while but the lubricating grease does not stay where it will lubricate all moving parts due to centrifugal forces flinging the grease away from rotating mass , when this happens the bearing is ran dry and starts to seize at rpm, anyway its all good , everybody can run whatever they decide to run , afterall he who purchases his own products gets his own choice .

I could quit doing engines today and I am sure the world wouldn't care

I suppose I should just leave it to you professionals

Last edited by houston; 01-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You're so long winded! Lol
Old 01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
You guys can look at it however you'd like but it is 100% true

I don't care about being the coolest engine guy or the engine guy with the most sales or yada yada yada , one reason I hate being called a "modder" , I have considered most of the guys that call themselves "modders" something a lil special .

Ask any racer who has purchased any products frrom me , I can't do it for free but I don't make enough to do anything with the profits , shit , it doesn't even completely pay for me to be able to race .

One reason why I dislike front bearings with shields on both sides is because there is no lubrication allowed into the rolling part of the bearing besides the grease that it was provided with when built . The grease works fairly Well for a little while but the lubricating grease does not stay where it will lubricate all moving parts due to centrifugal forces flinging the grease away from rotating mass , when this happens the bearing is ran dry and starts to seize at rpm, anyway its all good , everybody can run whatever they decide to run , afterall he who purchases his own products gets his own choice .

I could quit doing engines today and I am sure the world wouldn't care

I suppose I should just leave it to you professionals

Your statement is justified about the bearing and that is from your experience and from mine, the inner seal still allows enough oil to keep the ball and races cooled and lubricated but still holds back enough to keep from weeping out of the front attracting the dirt that so often cause premature engine failures. I'm with you, I don't care about being the hero of the day but I do like to help people out and for the most part, most people appreciate it and make it worth the time and effort but unfortunately you can't please them all as with anything in life. At the end of the day, we are all just regular people playing with toy cars and are supposed to be enjoying what we do. The day it becomes a chore is the day I sign off and find something else to do with my free time because afterall, it still is my personal free time outside of a full time law enforcement job and time off away from the day to day grind of doing what I do is much needed and is spent doing what I like to and alot of that time is spent building engines and racing on weekends I don't have to work and like you Monty, I feel the same way. I could fall out tomorrow and other than a few people being bummed for a little while, the world wouldn't shed a tear.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hambone
You're so long winded! Lol
I can be lol but I guess having too much info is better than not enough.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
It all comes down to personal preference with all products. There have been products I used and didn't care for that others loved and vise versa. I personally like the TKO front ceramics with the opposing shields. I like that they have single lips facing each other one to help keep the charge in and one to keep the dirt out. The nova 17011 is a double shielded bearing with both shields on the outer side of the ball and retainer and while it works better then alot of other single shielded bearings, the bearing still has twin negative lipped seals which still allows the charge to sneak under the lip and weep slightly attracting foreign debris where as the TKO front has opposing seals so the fresh charge hits the positive seal, creates down pressure on the lip creating a better seal. It is not a air tight seal but it certainly slows the amount of fuel/oil and the velocity it has when it reaches the other seal resulting in better pressure retention.

I have had very good luck with them and all of the bearings I have personally used have given at least 4-5 good gallons and most of the time I just replace them after 4-5 gallons just as a pre-maintenance type thing. i figure since I am in there for a full inspection, might as well start with a fresh bearing while I have it apart. I have seen bearings go alot longer as well but the average seems to be about 5 gallons give or take a little. I have had alot of guys that are very happy with the nova bearings and alot that were not but coming from a stand point of building engines for customers. I run what works for me and has the best track record in my eyes. The goal is to have as little problems as possible and the TKO double shielded bearings give me that.

Monty mentioned people who do it for a living have another way of looking at things. I definately did not take it as him calling anyone out specifically but from someone like me who tries to make it more of an income than others, I always try to look out for the best interest of my business and my customers and after talking with others in a similar boat as me, we all do what we feel is best in our own eyes and based off of our own personal experience so if one product treats someone well and a different product treats someone else well, then thats what those individuals will roll with until either the product quality and performance deteriorates and/or something better hits the market that increases their success ratio.

One last thing since this was also mentioned. Some people will say they are just doing for the good of the people and hobby but in my personal opinion, anyone who carries a product, advertises a product or service of any kind with a mark up is trying to make money regardless of how small of a profit margin they claim they have. Yes most of us business owners love the hobby and sport and regularly participate but lets call a spade a spade. If it looks like a duck, quacks like duck, it most likely is a duck. People can say all they want that they do it to help people out which may be true but there is also motive to make money along the way otherwise it wouldn't be worth all the time and trouble it takes to do this on a regular and consistant basis.

Very well said, I agree with every single point you made.

Lance
RcRenew
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with what Monty said about lubrication. There is a reason why engine manufacturers build their blocks to lubricate the front bearing with fuel oil. Most engines have a little oiling groove built into the block to lubricate the front bearing.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I agree with what Monty said about lubrication. There is a reason why engine manufacturers build their blocks to lubricate the front bearing with fuel oil. Most engines have a little oiling groove built into the block to lubricate the front bearing.
ya , but what do i know

AND YOU ARENT EVEN A NOVAROSSI FANBOY!!!

its all good , pretty much with RC in general anymore its go with what you can afford

and for anybody sittin back and thinkin engine importers or "modifiers" or tuners or engine builders , or self proclaimed professional engine builders are striking it rich off of the end user you are sadly mistaken .

opinions are like u know what
Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
I can be lol but I guess having too much info is better than not enough.
I was actually bustin Monty's cookies. But now that you mentioned it.....
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Prophet

I was actually bustin Monty's cookies. But now that you mentioned it.....
mmmmmm i like snickerdoodles and milk
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by houston
mmmmmm i like snickerdoodles and milk
I like the 4 hrs before the snickerdoodles and milk too!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Prophet

I like the 4 hrs before the snickerdoodles and milk too!
4 hrs. huh?

oh yeah , engine bearings are cool

i used to use TKO and hope to again in the future as they are a cheap alternative to novarossi with decent quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.