Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Engine Bearings...... Which company?? >

Engine Bearings...... Which company??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Bearings...... Which company??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcrenew
I see nova front bearings fail more than any other bearing. A lot of guys running novas down here Im constantly changing them out. Which surprised me because of the dual front seals and high price? Just stating my experiences. I am a fan of nova stuff so Im not hating so please dont jump on me...lol Just stating my experience.

Thanks,
Lance
RcRenew
as with any bearing

DO NOT BREAK IN ENGINE TOO RICH!!!

this will fill the case with excess oil and when crankcase is pressurized from rpm the oil will push out the path of least resistance

that is THE ONLY reason those bearings fail

i have been doing things what i believe is the "right" way for a while now , have had very good feedback for a good number of years , even before i was an rctech member . i dont need to do this for a living but i do this to help other racers out , IMO those who have to or "try" to do RC products for a living take on a WHOOOOOOOLE nother persona

Last edited by houston; 01-28-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If that was the case than it would not just be nova bearings. It would be any bearings, and from my experience its mostly the nova front that fail. And I have to say these guys engines that im talking about know how to tune so I Dont beleive that to be the cause. But I dont really care either way. Like I said I think Nova stuff is great. Just front bearings seem to be not to great. But everyone has different opinion and experiences on things.

Lance,
RcRenew
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

^^ Which is why I change the bearings in all of my engines after break-in.

Nova front bearings are the best in the business. I don't even run Novarossi engines, but I use their front bearings. If Novarossi 17011 bearings are failing, someone is doing something wrong.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Prophet

If that was the case than it would not just be nova bearings. It would be any bearings, and from my experience its mostly the nova front that fail. And I have to say these guys engines that im talking about know how to tune so I Dont beleive that to be the cause. But I dont really care either way. Like I said I think Nova stuff is great. Just front bearings seem to be not to great. But everyone has different opinion and experiences on things.

Lance,
RcRenew
are you sure you're talking about the same bearing? Part #17011
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe its not the same one? The one I am talking about is the blue seal front bearing that comes stock on the plus 4's and toro's

Lance
RcRenew
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Ive seen every make of bearing and tried them all as well. And came to the conclusion that its all in how u break the bearings in>.. I have had 2 sets of TKO front bearings leak from get go. But TKO fixed bearings no question asked! Like stated above if u dont run the top to RICH then u will be okay. And ive also noticed if u get the motor to hot right after changing the bearing it will not last the seals will leak in bought a gallon. after motor is broke in i put the good bearings in and get my motor up to temp 180 200. I do this 2 times and let the motor cool to room temp before re starting. Just make sure everything seats good. Good luck
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cool

I see nova front bearings fail more than any other bearing. A lot of guys running novas down here Im constantly changing them out. Which surprised me because of the dual front seals and high price? Just stating my experiences. I am a fan of nova stuff so Im not hating so please dont jump on me...lol Just stating my experience.

Thanks,
Lance
RcRenew
Yes the toro and plus 4 use the awesome doubled sealed bearings, best bearing out there. Never had an issue with one, it depends on how the engine is treated. Now the p5 front bearing is blue, looks like the good one, but ain't the same bearing.....
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by merdith6
Yes the toro and plus 4 use the awesome doubled sealed bearings, best bearing out there. Never had an issue with one, it depends on how the engine is treated. Now the p5 front bearing is blue, looks like the good one, but ain't the same bearing.....
what do i know huh?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
^^ Which is why I change the bearings in all of my engines after break-in.

Nova front bearings are the best in the business. I don't even run Novarossi engines, but I use their front bearings. If Novarossi 17011 bearings are failing, someone is doing something wrong.
ahhhhh wise choice danielson
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
ahhhhh wise choice danielson
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
TKO bearings all around are awesome.

Although I have never had to replace an engine bearing I do use the TKO bearings for wheels, diffs, and clutch.

There special clutch bearings are the bomb. I have never had one fail not once. In fact I have never had one even get gritty or close to failing.

After about 3 gallons on the clutch I change the bearings out just to be safe but dang even at 3 gallons I can spin the bell by hand and it keeps going and going.
Im sorry but you get 3 gals on clutch bearings?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

All my engines use this setup, SKF 607RS (i leave both seals on) frontbearing and TKO ceramic rearbearing.
Never blown a bearing with this setup.
I do make sure that i allways run my engine dry afther i'm done at the racetrack, wen i get home i clean the engine and put in some drops off ARO.
Just make it a habbit and your engine and bearings will reward you with a long live.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RockStar_199
Im sorry but you get 3 gals on clutch bearings?
With TKO special CB bearings, it's surely not uncommon. I had a (1) 10 pack of them that lasted well over a year (march '09 to june of '10), including winter indoor; club racing everyweek at that point.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Well I have guys with rtr truggies and buggies that not only break them in very rich but run them overly rich most of the time and front bearings are fine. Maybe all the other front bearings are more tolerant to being mistreated and being run overly rich.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

99.9 % of the front bearing issues I see are small grit getting into the bearing...the bearing feels like junk, but just needs a good flush and cleaning ! even 1 tiny grain of sand can make even the most expensive bearing feel like junk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.