Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Increased runtime, cooler temps, from fuel. Whats the tradeoff? >

Increased runtime, cooler temps, from fuel. Whats the tradeoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased runtime, cooler temps, from fuel. Whats the tradeoff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
This is true but it's not a huge difference. Also with Byrons, they make 9 and 11% blends in all the main nitro percentages. You can get 25 and 16% nitro with only 9% oil too.

Also think about this, while higher nitro will mean a richer setting and hence more oil, it will also be making more power at higher pressures, higher rpm's and possibly higher temps so it can use that extra oil.
Thanks Wing

I've tried 0% nitro and was surprised by the big different in tuning. After running 25% nitro, I remowed some head shims and put in a very hot plug. I had to lean the HSN close to ½ turn to get it run clean on the straight!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Thanks Wing

I've tried 0% nitro and was surprised by the big different in tuning. After running 25% nitro, I remowed some head shims and put in a very hot plug. I had to lean the HSN close to ½ turn to get it run clean on the straight!
That's a BIG change. The difference between 25 and 30 might be just one hour or two on the HSN.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

That's a BIG change. The difference between 25 and 30 might be just one hour or two on the HSN.
Hope I'm not ruin your thread turbo900

Here is a little video of the test:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Just look from 0:38 to 0:56
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mrbusta
are u still mixing ur own fuels atm ?
I do have the equipment to mix, the nito and methanol is no problem to get but the used oils are. I mixed 3% Castrol Racing-M (also known as M50) and 6 or 7% Castrol MSSR
There is hope, my sponsor did find out these oils are easy to get in Germany.

We have tryed Shell Racing-M, a very thin oil with SAE30 specs resulting in a very thin fuel with an awesome performance but it has a very dirty combustion. One guy did become Dutch champion running it with his 1/10 car.

We have also tryed medicinal castor oil you can get at the drugstore. It is well used in the world of airplaines but we did discover some lubrication issues with our engines.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
I do have the equipment to mix, the nito and methanol is no problem to get but the used oils are. I mixed 3% Castrol Racing-M (also known as M50) and 6 or 7% Castrol MSSR
There is hope, my sponsor did find out these oils are easy to get in Germany.

We have tryed Shell Racing-M, a very thin oil with SAE30 specs resulting in a very thin fuel with an awesome performance but it has a very dirty combustion. One guy did become Dutch champion running it with his 1/10 car.

We have also tryed medicinal castor oil you can get at the drugstore. It is well used in the world of airplaines but we did discover some lubrication issues with our engines.
MSSR is perhaps the best oil ever for glow engines! I thought it was impossible to buy anymore.

We used it back in the ´80 and start ´90
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Default mixing your own

I would love to mix my own fuel for a cost savings. But checking the prices for the ingredients seems to indicate that I'd end up paying more per gallon.
Using Klotz as a supplier, I see $44ga for nitro, $29ga for methanal and then the oil (either castor or synthetic) run about $14qt. Since there is no local supplier, I'd have to add in Hazmat and shipping charges. If I walk into AMain hobbies, I can get four gallons of Byron's for $89.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i would be interested in this, what equipment and charts do you need to do this.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

computer aided , closed loop mixing is the way

i would say leave it to the pros

yes i have ran self mixed fuel from a local , ran good sometimes but wayyyyyy too inconsistent
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX
Yeah and it would run for less than a tank of fuel. Rc boat guys run very high nitro.And blowing motors up every round is par for the course. NHRA Nitro dragsters make one run and then the top end is ripped down and rebuilt between every run!!!
Exactly, and not just the top end, more often then not rods pistons and bearings are replaced, or a new engine is dropped in.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

100% nitro !!!!! YA BABY!!!

CASTOR OIL is good
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
I would love to mix my own fuel for a cost savings. But checking the prices for the ingredients seems to indicate that I'd end up paying more per gallon.
Using Klotz as a supplier, I see $44ga for nitro, $29ga for methanal and then the oil (either castor or synthetic) run about $14qt. Since there is no local supplier, I'd have to add in Hazmat and shipping charges. If I walk into AMain hobbies, I can get four gallons of Byron's for $89.
29 a gallon for meth, where the hell do you live? I can get almost 5 gallons for that. Do you have a dragstrip or go kart shop in your area?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
MSSR is perhaps the best oil ever for glow engines! I thought it was impossible to buy anymore.

We used it back in the ´80 and start ´90
Pure MSSR does not do well with current high rpm's, thats why the mix with Racing-M

You have to look for Castrol Classic, through them you can get the oils.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Pure MSSR does not do well with current high rpm's, thats why the mix with Racing-M

You have to look for Castrol Classic, through them you can get the oils.
Ok.

Back in 1990 or 1991 we mixed 25% nitro, 6% pure MSSR 1% of some prototype oil additive for two-stroke motocross engines. Our engines (Rolf Hagel Piccos) ran like a dream the whole season without changing any parts in the engines
Old 01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

29 a gallon for meth, where the hell do you live? I can get almost 5 gallons for that. Do you have a dragstrip or go kart shop in your area?
It's out of the question to pay shipping and Hazmat fees, but just to a get an idea of prices I used the following sites.

http://www.hyperfuels.com/

http://www.klotzlube.com/products.asp?cat=8
Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
It's out of the question to pay shipping and Hazmat fees, but just to a get an idea of prices I used the following sites.

http://www.hyperfuels.com/

http://www.klotzlube.com/products.asp?cat=8
And again, where do you live. There aren't too many places in the US that you can't get them much cheaper within 50 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.