Like Tree2Likes

"the engine tuning bible"

Old 01-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Talking

This was very helpful and very detailed, thanks for putting this together.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The link won’t work anymore. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

Mine has had issues too. idk why.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Long post...thanks in advance.

Looking for advice, here is the situation, please critique/tell me what to try/do differently:
northeast: temps around 50 degrees, low humidity

Mito 4: purchased used. P3 plug, byrons gen 2. no modification that i know of to the engine. Clutch/clutch shoes and springs are fresh, as is clutch bell. Good end play. Break in method:
4 tanks on the box, heat gun and head warmer to keep temps 220ish. piston BDC, cooled each time, etc.
4 tanks figure 8's 1/2 throttle ish
left settings at factory (3.5 turns out HSN, 5 turns out LSN, didn't touch mid needle), idle gap set at .6ish, really I just listen to it when I start the engine, adjust to make sure it doesn't flame out but wheels stay still

Tuning:
heat motor with heat gun to about 200
run around parking lot for about 3-4 minutes to get engine temp up with head warmer however difficult to do given temperature and needle settings
lean HSN out 2 hours, full throttle, lots of smoke
lean HSN out another 2 hours: still a little smoke, engine sounds good
car returns to a high idle, not worried because I haven't touched LSN yet
next, lean LSN 2 hours. car still a little sluggish at start, lots of smoke, doesn't quite spin tires
lean LSN another 1-2 hours, still a little smoke, good acceleration. Car at this point is running pretty strong on throttle throughout, no bogging but also not cutting out. Also not pinging as soon as I get off full throttle. fuel in pinch and engine is cutting out around 4 seconds.

where the problems come in...I then lower the idle speed screw. Engine still loading up on fuel, high idle. When I hit the throttle to clear, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't
do a couple full speed passes like this and the idle is still hanging long after, I then richen the HSN an hour or so thinking it's a little too lean on top...idle still hangs though.
when I lower the idle screw further it will come down, however sometimes when I clear it out by htting the throttle it stalls.

any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Should I start from default settings

This is my first nitro car in 20 years and bought a built kit agama with a novarossi bt7 am at the point now we're I've started on the box to make sure everything is working.
Should I reset needles to factory settings or just tune from what I have see what it does once warm. As I know having a rich set up to start better for the engine.
Man when I heard the thing fire 🔥 up what amazing sound and the smell yessss.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Email me please

Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
+1 I have this in PDF form and read it quite often. A must have document for anyone that is running Nitro.

RIP Ron Paris your the man!!
Hey champion would be able to email me the pdf for that info please.
[email protected]