Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Guillermito
Some information about the new Speed ​​21XZ-B Spec II?

Best Regards.
Impatiently waiting...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ArronRC
I have been running the nova double seal front bearing in my xzb speed and ninja for over 5 gallons I run that bearing in every engine I run.
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Engine is imported/distributed by HPI (out of the hands of Hobbico).

I guess it basically comes down to whether or not HPI is having more made or discontinuing the engine.
I think it is more complicated than that, from what I have heard from JQ, OS has changed this year their minimal amount orders, so the company's that have engines made by OS (JQ, Bullitt, HB,LRP, etc ) have to order a considerable amount of engines to just fill up one order and lots of thoses company's which are also selling in Europe are waiting for the summer season that here starts in march to stock.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

I m a seasonal offroader and I have XZ-B Speed that have been through like 7-8 gallons, there's not much compression left. Last race the engine suddenly got very finicky to tune and wont idle as it used to even with new P3 plug, so I m thinking of rebuilding this engine with a new set of piston/liner (XZB Speed). Before that, I want to get any advice on tolerance of other parts like crankshaft pin, conrod, bearings so its worth to replace together. Also has anyone tried Ninja B02 piston/liner set in a Speed? How does it perform? Same or loose some power? I m asking coz the Ninja B02 replacement is available locally (in my country).

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxr17
I think it is more complicated than that, from what I have heard from JQ, OS has changed this year their minimal amount orders, so the company's that have engines made by OS (JQ, Bullitt, HB,LRP, etc ) have to order a considerable amount of engines to just fill up one order and lots of thoses company's which are also selling in Europe are waiting for the summer season that here starts in march to stock.
That's what I read in the JQ thread, but I somehow think there's a little more cash-flow at HPI.

I imagine HPI knows a little more than we do, and if the new engines are truly around corner, who knows... maybe there is a new Hara (maybe a Tessman Speed? ) on the way...

Originally Posted by dameetz
I m a seasonal offroader and I have XZ-B Speed that have been through like 7-8 gallons, there's not much compression left. Last race the engine suddenly got very finicky to tune and wont idle as it used to even with new P3 plug, so I m thinking of rebuilding this engine with a new set of piston/liner (XZB Speed). Before that, I want to get any advice on tolerance of other parts like crankshaft pin, conrod, bearings so its worth to replace together. Also has anyone tried Ninja B02 piston/liner set in a Speed? How does it perform? Same or loose some power? I m asking coz the Ninja B02 replacement is available locally (in my country).

If you do not have any micro tools to measure the crank pin for wear, then the next best thing is just looking at it: see if there's still DLC around the entire pin. The DLC is so thin that if the entire pin is still coated, you should not have to worry about it being worn. Regardless of wear, I would change the rod for precautionary measures.

The B02 piston/sleeve is the same piston/sleeve as the regular XZ-B. The difference between it and the Speed is the exhaust porting. I know you are probably overseas, but you should consider sending your existing sleeve for a resize if time is not critical.

If the motor is apart, I would do bearings, since they can be had for relatively cheap in comparison to everything else you are spending money on.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dameetz

Replace everything except for the crank. Don't forget needle Orings
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Bullitt announcing their version of the new O.S. XR-B... they mention a "top spec" Bullitt 219... sounds like that may be the new Speed.

Here's what's important: The XR-B is same bore/stroke as the XZ-B engines, and they mention the internals can be swapped with the new 219 internals.... meaning the new Speed will be long stroke, despite what some individuals are pretending to claim in here.

The Bullitt engine company have announced the release of their new ‘B-217′ engine – a great offroad competition engine which despite packing an almighty punch on track, doesn’t leave you gasping after a loan with a wallet-friendly price. The Japanese-made B-217 offers a great deal, we’re told its internals can be upgraded to the forthcoming top spec B-219 if a customers wishes to.

Last edited by Rsickles; 01-24-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Thoughts on getting 10 minutes on a OS speed Xzb. Has a little over 1 gallon. 6.5 restrictor and VP 30% fuel.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Afun
Thoughts on getting 10 minutes on a OS speed Xzb. Has a little over 1 gallon. 6.5 restrictor and VP 30% fuel.
When you hammer the dog $&@( out of it like you do it is going to be tough with any engine Mr. Throttle finger!!!!!!!! You burn the tires off coming out of every corner!!!!!!! You still got a lot of room to lean it though if you so choose!!! 245 ain't too bad or high for a speed. You are pretty dang rich on the low end screw as your buggy loads up pretty good if it sits and idles for 10 seconds, at least last tome I drove it. that will help a good bit! Also try taking some of the clutch out of it also. You are a stock kyosho clutch kind of guy so try some .9 springs on it to keep you from ballooning the tires coming out of corners that Mr. Fundora is known for to get that bad boy hooking up a little better. Yes you can run 10 minutes as I am running 10 in mine right now and obviously the only difference between our buggies is the throttle finger. All good fun and you can call me if you want to...... Also, I am telling you go up to a 14. I noticed improved run times, and you can clear any shirt run up on any track with it. The Speed's obviously are not lacking in power!!! We will work on it this weekend...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Great advice Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

A TKI3 has the most efficient driveline on the planet, plus a Speed w/ a2090. I'm 100% positive it's you not your setup. I can make 10 with a blue head.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluexile67
any one used an aplus 0801 pipe on an os speed? in comparison to an os 2O6O and or 2090 if so how did they compare
The Alpha A-plus 0801 is an awesome pipe on the Alpha Lutz Edition as well as on the XZB Speed .21.

These are the pipes I keep either in my box or in action with my OS Speed .21 listed in my personal order of preference...

OS 2090 - makes gobs of smooth usable power and has the best runtime of these 4 pipes. Its kind of deceiving because it is quieter than the others so it doesn't sound like it would be generating so much power.

Alpha A-plus 0801 - makes a ton of power, best bottom end pull and best sound of these 4 pipes. (Reminds me of my 1981 Suzuki RM125 which had case induction reeds and a hand fabricated pipe from my buddy Dave Miller who handmade all of the pipes the Factory Riders ran on their Works bikes back then. Man that thing was fun. ) Runtime is decent but it wouldn't be my "go to" pipe if I really needed to make 10 min... if I could count on getting 10 min with it, it would be my favorite pipe for my speed. Plus they only cost like $69 bucks or so and its easily twice as durable as my OS pipes. I'm going to be picking up another one of these because my kid and I always seem to be battling over who gets to run it whenever we race on slightly smaller tracks. Of course he always wins that battle since he runs the Alpha Lutz engine and .... cuz he's "my kid" .

OS 2060 - Its in 3rd place.. please see Franks review for details.. haha

Werks 2058 - 4th place... again.. please see Franks review for details.. I always agree with his posts

Last edited by HH; 01-25-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HH
The Alpha A-plus 0801 is an awesome pipe on the Alpha Lutz Edition as well as on the XZB Speed .21.

These are the pipes I keep either in my box or in action with my OS Speed .21 listed in my personal order of preference...

OS 2090 - makes gobs of smooth usable power and has the best runtime of these 4 pipes. Its kind of deceiving because it is quieter than the others so it doesn't sound like it would be generating so much power.

Alpha A-plus 0801 - makes a ton of power, best bottom end pull and best sound of these 4 engines. (Reminds me of my 1981 Suzuki RM125 which had case induction reeds and a hand fabricated pipe from my buddy Dave Miller who handmade all of the pipes the Factory Riders ran on their Works bikes back then. Man that thing was fun. ) Runtime is decent but it wouldn't be my "go to" pipe if I really needed to make 10 min... if I could count on getting 10 min with it, it would be my favorite pipe for my speed. Plus they only cost like $69 bucks or so and its easily twice as durable as my OS pipes. I'm going to be picking up another one of these because my kid and I always seem to be battling over who gets to run it whenever we race on slightly smaller tracks. Of course he always wins that battle since he runs the Alpha Lutz engine and .... cuz he's "my kid" .

OS 2060 - Its in 3rd place.. please see Franks review for details.. haha

Werks 2058 - 4th place... again.. please see Franks review for details.. I always agree with his posts
I don't think there is one specific order for which pipe is best, it depends mostly on driving style and also the track.

For example, out at my track, I choose 2058 first, by a long shot, then second would be the 2090, and the 2060 wouldn't even be considered.

I love the mid range punch that the 2058 provides, and since it matches my driving style, I am able to not pull as much throttle and get anywhere from 10-12 minutes.

The 2090 is definitely better than the 2060, but it is still engineered to be too smooth for my driving style, making me pull more throttle, lap times dropping slightly, and being lucky to make the 9:30 - 10 minute mark.

Then the 2060 is just no good out at my track, to get the car over anything with this pipe, you have to set up perfect, hold wide open, and hope you get enough speed to clear certain jumps. Plus with needing so much throttle, I struggle to get 8 minutes with this setup.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with you Sean.. I do believe driving style and track variables are very big factors.. possibly even the determining factors when it comes to pipe selection. This also probably explains a lot about why we see sooo many different opinions and results being shared on every "which pipe is the best" topic.

Frank and I are both on the West Coast of California (albeit North and South) and our results seem to parallel one another for the most part. Whereas.. just picking a random example such as, Neal from Clockwork Engines, which I believe is in Canada, who gets very different results than we have with his performance testing which supports the above theory.

I know that like you, Neal has also said he prefers the 2058 but I've given it a couple of serious efforts and I was always on fumes at the end of a 5-min qualifier with a 2058 on my Speed in a buggy.

I also found the 2058 to be deceiving, but in the opposite way from the 2090. As I mentioned in my previous post.. the 2090 generates much more power and acceleration than what your ears are telling you it is.. since it is comparatively kind of quiet.. almost "vacuum cleanerish" but powerful like a F-18 jet engine with a muffler It makes more power than noise.

My experience with the 2058 has been that it sounds fast as hell, it has a very robust bark to it, and just sounds strong. In my minds eye its like an old WWII fighter plane with a propped 12 cylinder engine.. they sound effin awesome but my testing caused me to conclude that it is not actually as fast and does not generate as much power as your ears are telling you it is. (this is also what I believe can cause some people to overrate this pipes performance in some circumstances). It makes more noise than power. IMO. That is not to say it doesn't perform well, it definitely does. It just has a higher ratio of noise/power than the 2090.

I also heard Tessman and Hara were running 2060's in Argentina which I was told was not their typical choice of pipe for their Speeds. (however I don't know the source or if that info is even accurate) But.. I'm sure things like altitude, climate, soil types, track size, etc. etc. will likely have an enormous impact on performance characteristics, so it does sound reasonable.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i tested the 2058 vs the 2090 using both a radar gun and a acoustic tachometer........ by those 2 tools the 2058 is the stronger..it hits higher MPH and pulls higher RPM on a XZB Speed.....they are fairly close tho...but by no means does the 2058 give up any power or RPM to the 2090..I wont say the 2058 is a better choice or anything like that.but in terms of MPH and RPM it has a small advantage for sure...

we also see good runtime from the 2058 on our XZB engines...my Ninja is extremely good on fuel with the 2058 and has wild amounts of power, especially so in the midrange....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.