Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtdog
I purchased a O.S. .21 xz-b about a month ago. Followed O.S.'s break in procedure as dedcribed in there manual. (Also want to share that i am not new to nitro buggy) The break in went flawless.. And the motor ran strong through the first gallon.... I alway monitored tempature ( even though i never used it as a tuning aid. I went by smoke stream) kept it right around the 240 range. Engine ran strong around that temp range. Anyways, to make a long story short. The engine started to loose pinch after the first gallon pretty rapidly. Also, obviously was tuff to get a consistent tune out of with the reduced pinch. Well i sent the engine to rcrenew ( Out of disbelief that i was sending a engine in with a gallon and a half through it. Lance called me and told me the crank journal is wore, front bearing is trashed, and also rear bearing!! Has anyone else had issues like this? I just wanted to get my story out here to let people no. Thanks guys. -Tim

Yep, pretty much had the same thing happen. I'm not very impressed with the XZ line. The VZ line was a better engine. Revved higher and ran better overall.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I purchased a O.S. .21 xz-b about a month ago. Followed O.S.'s break in procedure as dedcribed in there manual. (Also want to share that i am not new to nitro buggy) The break in went flawless.. And the motor ran strong through the first gallon.... I alway monitored tempature ( even though i never used it as a tuning aid. I went by smoke stream) kept it right around the 240 range. Engine ran strong around that temp range. Anyways, to make a long story short. The engine started to loose pinch after the first gallon pretty rapidly. Also, obviously was tuff to get a consistent tune out of with the reduced pinch. Well i sent the engine to rcrenew ( Out of disbelief that i was sending a engine in with a gallon and a half through it. Lance called me and told me the crank journal is wore, front bearing is trashed, and also rear bearing!! Has anyone else had issues like this? I just wanted to get my story out here to let people no. Thanks guys. -Tim
Lance would be the man to ask being he inspected . Sound like you ingested some fine dirt. I've owned over 20 Speeds all have gone past the 8 gallon mark. I've never read or followed the OS manual for break-in sounds like you added a lot of stress too early the run-in is the most important element to longevity. What doesn't make sense both bearings are shot maybe from poor lubrication, high stress and dirt. Did you heat your mill during run in you should be applying heat for the first half gallon minimum. Buy a comp heater best tool to preserve ones mill.

What type of fuel are you burning.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CKmaxx
Yep, pretty much had the same thing happen. I'm not very impressed with the XZ line. The VZ line was a better engine. Revved higher and ran better overall.
Having a mill go out within two gallon isn't normal having to rebuild a fairly new mill isnt normal for any brand something isn't right or something was done incorrectly. I could live with it lost its pinch because people don't understand how to properly run in a mill but for him to do a complete overall is weird.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What did the crank journal spec at? Did you ask him for the numbers?

Either one of the bearings going bad after a few gallons isn't uncommon. One gallon is.

What other engines have you had before this? Most people don't realize how little compression these engines have (meaning, compared to others) once they are past break-in.

Now as for the "followed O.S.' break-in prcedure as described in their manual"... if you truly did follow this verbatum, then that is why your engine failed. It essentially says start the motor cold (no mention of preheating), then immediately start revving the engine to warm it up, and the first tank should be while driving around the track at a rich setting (which would never keep the engine above 170F), while leaning it out top end....
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, just noticed my front bearing is starting to leak. Im around the 3 gallon mark on my speed. What would be a good set of replacement bearings? I've had novas in the past, and always used the double seal nova front bearings. Anyone using ceramics in the front?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It's funny how all racers have either a love or hate relationship with OS engines. It's like 50% love them and 50% hate them. There doesn't seem to be any in-betweeners. I guess that can be said about allot of brands but it's always OS in the limelight.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by plus2ss
Hey guys, just noticed my front bearing is starting to leak. Im around the 3 gallon mark on my speed. What would be a good set of replacement bearings? I've had novas in the past, and always used the double seal nova front bearings. Anyone using ceramics in the front?
Are you flaming out are you have tuning issues
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
It's funny how all racers have either a love or hate relationship with OS engines. It's like 50% love them and 50% hate them. There doesn't seem to be any in-betweeners. I guess that can be said about allot of brands but it's always OS in the limelight.

It seems that way for alot of different brands, but os does get it the worse. I think alot of it has to do with the price and the end user. If some one pays upwards of 500 bucks for a motor, and then proceeds to neglect maintenance on it, and only gets a few gallons out of it before its a paperweight, then they have a sour taste for os. I've had good luck with mine so far, but its my first os speed. Basic stuff like bearings and maybe a pinch are to be expected.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Are you flaming out are you have tuning issues

Yup. Two flameouts last weekend in the main. First time this motor gave me a problem. When I got home I noticed the leak. Hoping that's the cause of the flameouts. If its leaking fuel, its sucking air too
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

These new os engines I am breaking in have a much tighter pinch than I'm use to. But wen I can pull of 1 pit stop in the buggy in a 20 min main I'm a happy racer
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
These new os engines I am breaking in have a much tighter pinch than I'm use to. But wen I can pull of 1 pit stop in the buggy in a 20 min main I'm a happy racer
You mean the pinch is tighter on the speeds.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I have a gallon and a half or so through my os speed now, runs like a raped ape and temps are always under 250 now, BUT I had three flame outs in the main tonight and im barely getting 7 minutes per tank in buggy with a 2090 pipe. Wtf is going on with this thing? Did its balls just drop or what? The flywheel is pretty easy to turn over when it's hot, the idle is solid as well. Whst should I check?

Last edited by B00t13g; 07-08-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plus2ss
TKO ceramic bearings front and rear, never had a problem with them ever. Plus they helped OS solve their bearing problems a few years ago (but looks like OS might again be having bearing problems? I always install TKO ceramics before break-in and don't waste my time with whatever OS installs at the factory) so get yourself some TKO ceramics and you won't regret it.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Aaron, can I ask how do you go about changing these bearings? Is there any guide available some where? This being my first attempt

Originally Posted by aaron125
TKO ceramic bearings front and rear, never had a problem with them ever. Plus they helped OS solve their bearing problems a few years ago (but looks like OS might again be having bearing problems? I always install TKO ceramics before break-in and don't waste my time with whatever OS installs at the factory) so get yourself some TKO ceramics and you won't regret it.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
You mean the pinch is tighter on the speeds.
Yes and the compression is higher at least on the 2 that I'm working on now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.