Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

About 1 year ago when all these wonder fuels were in full swing I stated the proof will be in the pudding....time will tell you how good the fuel is by the wear on the crankpins......... If your crankpin is worn down prematurely, and you have not ingested dirt it means your fuels lubrication has failed in its job to protect the engines internals..........too many people are quick to blame the engine quality, when its much more likely to be a fuel issue.... I run VZB and XZB engines, I run the hell out of them, and I do not get anywhere near the wear some of you guys here are seeing...if your crankpin is done in under 4 gallons I would be changing fuels immediately....OS cranks are soft, but they aren't that soft...a stock XZB is not a high revving engine by any means, so the wear is not from too much RPM, it is from friction and a lack of lubrication.....As I say the crankpin doesn't lie...

edit.... of course if you run your engine lean you can kill the crankpin... as in if you run hard and get 12 minutes runtime on a big track your likely running lean...and that will also kill your crankpin...

Last edited by Maximo; 12-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oilguy
you already know...

if anyone really wants the skinny on fuel....ask somone like Neal, who does it everyday, on every brand, on every fuel, and on engines with much higher than stock stress and loads put on them after mod....its all there when actually private, random, lab tests are performed on all the major brands, every couple months.....I will definetely be reconsidering the fuel I run in 2013!! thanks Neal!!!
well im pretty positive the fuel is not the issue here.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by RePeTe
well im pretty positive the fuel is not the issue here.
I think in my case, the fuel plays the biggest role in crankpin wear in all my engines..i run a picco boost in my basher also...my stuffs clean as can be, not a single scuff or scrape, with the most even and consistent pinch area, and beautifully golden plugs that never need changed due to failure...but regardless of xzb, vzb, picco, dlc or raw, my crank pins alone suffer...the last rod i changed had 5.5 gallons on it when it spun the lower bushing and ran dry.....im happy with 5.5 gallons on rods...not 1.5 gallons on xzb uncoated crank pins...its nowhere near out of spec, but clearly noticable....the first gallon is the most pampered one too! Preheat, lil rich, not pushin the revs, etc...
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

New EBMods Power Plates are available. Improve power, and idle with just a simple bolt on back plate.

https://www.facebook.com/ed.bridges.35
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ed
Will you have a new website and be selling direct?

I don't have facebook, but would like to check out your new products.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

the back plate work on the blue head xzb?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Power Plate on the way. Can't wait to try it out.

I ran my Speed again yesterday and I'm struggling with the tune on this motor.
At one point, the RPM's would hang when I let off the throttle then drop down. I set the idle gap to .7mm and closed it some more from there.
After that, it would still hang a touch after really opening it up. I fattened up the HSN about 3 hours and that didn't seem to make much of a difference. It flamed out on me a couple of times and I couldn't figure out why. At this point, I think I'm going to start over with the needle settings.
I searched and couldn't find it, but what position do you run the MSN in? I'm at 1 oclock right now.

Tuning this motor is different from my Novas. I could tune those with ease. I know this one isn't difficult, just need to learn it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
edit.... of course if you run your engine lean you can kill the crankpin... as in if you run hard and get 12 minutes runtime on a big track your likely running lean...and that will also kill your crankpin...
I feel like that's geared towards me. Not taking any offense to it, just wanted to get it out there. My engine ran a 240 degrees and I was only wide open for Maybe 2 seconds a lap. I was very smooth with my throttle and always stayed calm in order to achieve that 12 minutes. So I worked pretty hard to get that.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC-BATT
Ed

Web Site will be up soon,check out the EBMods Products thread in the Off-Road Forum, I just posted some pics.

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
Yes, correct the XZB engines, Blue head or Speed Version.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
I feel like that's geared towards me. Not taking any offense to it, just wanted to get it out there. My engine ran a 240 degrees and I was only wide open for Maybe 2 seconds a lap. I was very smooth with my throttle and always stayed calm in order to achieve that 12 minutes. So I worked pretty hard to get that.
LOL . actually that was not aimed at you at all ....I didn't even know you were having any engine issues...... I was only speaking in general terms only.............
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
wow 12 minutes i would love to get 9 or 10 minutres but right now i am only at about 8 and a bit for both truggy and buggy

which is fine cause most others in the race all pit around the same time but i do read these 10 to 12 minute pit stops i wish
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-BATT
Ed

+1
I also have no access to your Facebook page Ed and would like to buy some of your engine oil but find it very difficult to locate anyone who has it in stock.
Originally Posted by CarFanatic
Definitely.
Originally Posted by pickle311

At one point, the RPM's would hang when I let off the throttle then drop down. I set the idle gap to .7mm and closed it some more from there.
After that, it would still hang a touch after really opening it up. I fattened up the HSN about 3 hours and that didn't seem to make much of a difference. It flamed out on me a couple of times and I couldn't figure out why. At this point, I think I'm going to start over with the needle settings.
I searched and couldn't find it, but what position do you run the MSN in? I'm at 1 oclock right now.

Tuning this motor is different from my Novas. I could tune those with ease. I know this one isn't difficult, just need to learn it.
If an engine is idling at high(er) than normal rpm's as soon as you let off the throttle, then the engine rpm's slow down to a normal idle speed, this would usually be indicative of a rich LSN, nothing at all to do with the HSN and unlikely the MSN would have much effect in this circumstance either.

When the LSN is a bit rich, once you let off the throttle, there is still a bit of an overload of fuel in the cankcase, so the idle rpm's are too high until the extra charge gets burned off, then the engine slows down to a regular idle speed.

That, the 10 second 'rule/method' and the 'pinch test' are 3 very easy and surprisingly quite accurate ways of getting the LSN of any brand engine tuned well. If your LSN was too lean, most likely you would find the engine will flame out when you back off from a WOT situation.

When you mentioned that the engine did flame out a few times, in what part of the track/what kind of throttle opening did you have just before the engine stalled? Just remember, the HSN really has no effect on the engine when its idling, HSN only has much of a noticeable effect on the jetting from wide-open to about 1/3 or 1/2 throttle.

Read through the manual though, as it has a very easy to understand and easy to follow tuning instruction guide in there and that should hopefully get you going in the right direction. Regarding the MSN, again, the manual specifies to have the MSN flush with the carb body, this usually ends up with the slot in the MSN being at about 2 o'clock.

Hope that helps a bit mate.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Tech Champion

To me it sounds like your still letting in too much air when you let off the throttle...either your idle gap is too big, or your linkage setup needs some attention........Do you have space between your servo arm and throttle set stop ? ........

.call me crazy here , but I don't find that the LSN being too rich causes a engines RPM hang, usually it is the opposite....If a engine is lean the RPM Hangs, if the idle gap is too big the RPM hangs, if the linkage is sticking the RPM hangs...But I have never seen a engines RPM hang up from having too rich of a mixture...and I have tuned thousands of engines dating back to 1985 ..... Usually if the LSN is set too rich and the RPM is hanging it just means the idle gap is hanging open too far and the LSN set too rich to mask it....not really the cause of the problem but rather a byproduct

here is what I find causes engines RPM to hang, more or less in order of likelihood

1. idle gap.... either linkage hanging, or gap too large( no space on set stop is #1 )
2 HSN mixture too lean
3 LSN mixture too lean
4 fuel volume low in tank, loss of fuel supply during hard braking
5 Glowplug too hot
6 engine still tight (new )
7 engine worn out (too loose )
8 engine damage

Just to explain a little... Anything that requires you to run a larger then normal idle gap will cause a engine to high idle letting off throttle.... for example when a engine is worn out it wont idle correctly unless it has a large idle gap, and because of this the engine will want to idle high letting off throttle, but then idle down low once sitting...and if you try to lower the idle gap to a normal size the engine will just flame out..... Same thing as the engine being too new and tight, the only way you can keep it running is to have a big idle gap, which causes the RPM hanging issues..... Any time you are forced to run a larger idle gap your going to experience the hanging RPM letting off trigger.... The mechanical condition of the engine will determine how well the engine will be able to idle down simply based off how stable the engine is with a small idle gap....... new,worn or damaged engines are unstable with a small idle gap, and will usually only run with a larger idle gap, which obviously causes these other issues.... anyways hope this helps some
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
To me it sounds like your still letting in too much air when you let off the throttle...either your idle gap is too big, or your linkage setup needs some attention........Do you have space between your servo arm and throttle set stop ? ........

.call me crazy here , but I don't find that the LSN being too rich causes a engines RPM hang, usually it is the opposite....If a engine is lean the RPM Hangs, if the idle gap is too big the RPM hangs, if the linkage is sticking the RPM hangs...But I have never seen a engines RPM hang up from having too rich of a mixture...and I have tuned thousands of engines dating back to 1985 ..... Usually if the LSN is set too rich and the RPM is hanging it just means the idle gap is hanging open too far and the LSN set too rich to mask it....not really the cause of the problem but rather a byproduct

here is what I find causes engines RPM to hang, more or less in order of likelihood

1. idle gap.... either linkage hanging, or gap too large( no space on set stop is #1 )
2 HSN mixture too lean
3 LSN mixture too lean
4 fuel volume low in tank, loss of fuel supply during hard braking
5 Glowplug too hot
6 engine still tight (new )
7 engine worn out (too loose )
8 engine damage

Just to explain a little... Anything that requires you to run a larger then normal idle gap will cause a engine to high idle letting off throttle.... for example when a engine is worn out it wont idle correctly unless it has a large idle gap, and because of this the engine will want to idle high letting off throttle, but then idle down low once sitting...and if you try to lower the idle gap to a normal size the engine will just flame out..... Same thing as the engine being too new and tight, the only way you can keep it running is to have a big idle gap, which causes the RPM hanging issues..... Any time you are forced to run a larger idle gap your going to experience the hanging RPM letting off trigger.... The mechanical condition of the engine will determine how well the engine will be able to idle down simply based off how stable the engine is with a small idle gap....... new,worn or damaged engines are unstable with a small idle gap, and will usually only run with a larger idle gap, which obviously causes these other issues.... anyways hope this helps some
I set the idle gap at .7mm before I went to the track and closed it more while tuning the car. It's less than .7mm for sure right now, probably closer to .5mm. After thinking about it, I really think the RPM hanging had more to do with the fact that the motor is still really new. It's just now reaching the 1 gallon mark.
I did double check the linkage and it's not sticking or preventing the slide from closing completely.
It just needs to be run some more and I'll slowly get it dialed in.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I set the idle gap at .7mm before I went to the track and closed it more while tuning the car. It's less than .7mm for sure right now, probably closer to .5mm. After thinking about it, I really think the RPM hanging had more to do with the fact that the motor is still really new. It's just now reaching the 1 gallon mark.
I did double check the linkage and it's not sticking or preventing the slide from closing completely.
It just needs to be run some more and I'll slowly get it dialed in.

Thanks for the help
I found the engine to get much better once fully broken in. Right now, I'm 2.5 turns out on top end. Mid-needle flush at 2 o'clock . Low needle 5.5 to 6 turns out on bottom. This seems to be as close as I can get. However this tune was done with Byrons 20 percent and not 30. I'm running low on 30 and saving it for customers until I can make a fuel order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.