Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree223Likes

REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a REDS R7, and it comes with the 7.0 venturi as well as an optional 6.5. I have been getting poor fuel mileage (barely 7 min and bone dry after that). I am going to change to a REDS 2014 pipe with the XS manifold, go to the REDS Quattro clutch, and change the venturi to the 6.5. I'm pretty sure this will help fuel economy. Is it reccomended to not go any lower than the 6.5 venturi? If i were to go lower this would kill my power, correct? Are my thoughts on the right track? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slideways247
I have a REDS R7, and it comes with the 7.0 venturi as well as an optional 6.5. I have been getting poor fuel mileage (barely 7 min and bone dry after that). I am going to change to a REDS 2014 pipe with the XS manifold, go to the REDS Quattro clutch, and change the venturi to the 6.5. I'm pretty sure this will help fuel economy. Is it reccomended to not go any lower than the 6.5 venturi? If i were to go lower this would kill my power, correct? Are my thoughts on the right track? Thanks for the help!
Your thoughts are on the right track but you will have to try both yourself to see what works for you and your track. For example, on some tracks I see a noticeable power loss going from 7.0 to 6.5 venturi but only a slight mileage gain, so in that case I stay with the 7.0. In other cases the 6.5 works better then the 7.0. So there is no golden rule, you have to try both. The 2104 pipe on the other hand is a sure gain in my opinion.

BTW 7 minutes is too little in my opinion (unless it's a really fast track)- is the carb tuned right?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I had the 6 in but I do have a 7 I'll use. Thanks for the help. Just sucks I gotta wait till the weekend to try again
Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slideways247
On the R7 I have been mostly using the 6.5 venturi, and runtimes depending a lot on track conditions. On a fast track with lots of dust, you actually can have runtimes below 8 minutes, I experienced that myself. It only gets better when you control your throttle finger under such conditions (all with XS and 2104). How many gallons do you have through the engine? If the engine is new, don't expect too much in terms of runtime yet, things will improve when you area passing the 1 gallon mark. If you passed that, then you have to check your engine tuning (what temps are you coming in end of the tank?) and your throttle control. How are your LSN and HSN set? Standard or horizontal carburator?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Thommi and UrabusDenis,

All good points, I didn't think about only having a a gallon or so through the motor. The carb should be tuned right, I actually had a REDS team guy help me tune it. Throttle control is probably a biggie along with the new clutch. Thank you for the responses, I guess I was looking for a general confirmation, too... Awesome!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Yes. The hsn was too lean. I did box tune it to get it close. Threw the 7 carb insert in and we're in the ball park. Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx
Yes. The hsn was too lean. I did box tune it to get it close. Threw the 7 carb insert in and we're in the ball park. Thanks guys.
welcome
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hey dudes

Just wondering, like in the above case, if you richen the hsn 2 hours, should you lean the lsn 2 hours?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

New engine for the USA FYI, if you haven't seen the facebook post:

REDS Racing introduces new R5S US Special Edition
REDS Racing introduces a new 5-port engine called the R5S Special Edition. It is specifically designed and built for the US market. From the HCX carb to the precision crankshaft, this engine will excel on US style tracks with a wider power band and solid runtimes. The engine’s quality, performance and a MAP price of $299 is completely unmatched. The R5S Special Edition fits nicely within the current offerings of R5R 2.0, R5T Team Edition 3.0 and the R7 Evoke 2.0. Come celebrate your buggy and truggy independence with a R5S!
For further information and ordering, visit:
http://www.reds-racing-usa.com/R5S
Attached Thumbnails REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)-17681_983579994994161_7912507683467383930_n.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sykemike
Just wondering, like in the above case, if you richen the hsn 2 hours, should you lean the lsn 2 hours?
that's a difficult one to tell, it all depends on how accurate your LSN was when you started moving your HSN. If your idle gap is good, then you just adjust the LSN so that the idle gain is stable. if the idle gap is off, you will have to work both LSN and idle screw. You can do a rough temp test on your LSN. Rev the engine and let it fall back into idle, then temp it continously. Temp should not go higher (this would mean a lean LSN) and not drop too much (whould mean rich LSN).
Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Free shipping at BeachRC on the new Reds engines (technically anything over $125

http://beachrc.com/reds-racing-usa-r...ceted_search=0
Old 06-20-2015, 05:09 AM
MiQ
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
yeah im useing this set up now.. loving it... smooth controllable power and idles like a dream.. temp around 97c is ideal.. as mentioned in the past by others.. the clutch in L as suggested is good good for loose to medium traction tracks.. as is on our track here.. even when i throttled the car and had it rooster tailing.. keeping it steady wasnt overly challenging.. the wear from just after breakin has been fairly good, just keep it clean in the clutch bell, which im sure you know..

happy driving!
The combo has been excellent. Easy to tune for amateur and very smooth power and all the topspeed I'll need. Clutch works great with mugen and I have been running in "H" mode. In my first nats I was able to get to the a-main but the track was polished and really slippery by the mains so it would been nice to try the "L" mode. Going to do some more testing. The reds clucth bearings feels nice too, just as good as mugens own.

I got the r7 week before race and there was time to run just over a gallon with the engine. I was able to get barely over 7min with 6.5mm venturi. It was 45min final and it was too risky to go for 7.30 strategy so I had to go for one extra pitstop with cost me good battle for 5th place. Ended up to 7th.

What mileage you guys have with the engine and do you think that I just need to drive more with the engine? Theres still fairly strong pinch

I'm not allowed to post links so if you want to see the track, put in youtube "M8 SM 1 2015 | A-Main Final 45min". In 4.15 mark I'm driving with the red car. Rear end taked off and caused the crash lap after
Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hey dudes

Does the exhaust pipe hit or block the high speed needle screw with the HCX carburetor in the buggy setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MiQ
The combo has been excellent. Easy to tune for amateur and very smooth power and all the topspeed I'll need. Clutch works great with mugen and I have been running in "H" mode. In my first nats I was able to get to the a-main but the track was polished and really slippery by the mains so it would been nice to try the "L" mode. Going to do some more testing. The reds clucth bearings feels nice too, just as good as mugens own.

I got the r7 week before race and there was time to run just over a gallon with the engine. I was able to get barely over 7min with 6.5mm venturi. It was 45min final and it was too risky to go for 7.30 strategy so I had to go for one extra pitstop with cost me good battle for 5th place. Ended up to 7th.

What mileage you guys have with the engine and do you think that I just need to drive more with the engine? Theres still fairly strong pinch

I'm not allowed to post links so if you want to see the track, put in youtube "M8 SM 1 2015 | A-Main Final 45min". In 4.15 mark I'm driving with the red car. Rear end taked off and caused the crash lap after
yeah it sure has to do with throttle finger , same as having a heavy foot lol... but i have run mabe 2L on mine and has pleanty of pinch.. you can turn it over but yeah its still fresh.. its doing well.. and i dont throttle it hard often.. so as far as i recall fuel lasts for 8 - 9mins.. but ill double check that next race or practice.. as im breaking in my spare engine..
Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MiQ

You should get quite a bit more out of the R7. I haven't got yet the famous 10 minutes pit stop mark, but I can usually pit between 8 and 9 minutes without risking too much. A lot has to do with your throttle finger, and check all the tuning on the engine. Is your carburator opening just as much as the venturi size? This has quite some impact on consumption....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.