Wiki Posts
Search

pipe cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kgombe
how is the inside of the pipes... thats my main concern.. performance can decrease with to much carbon build up in the pipe

That is actually the whole point to me of doing in the crock pot. it actually dislodges the crap inside. I will rinse out the inside with water every 8 hours or so to get crud out then back in to boil off more.

I do my pipes every dozen races or so. does not take to long that way. I just keep a dedicated crock pot with antifreeze in it in the garage for just these endeavors.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i have my pipe in a slow cooker and antifreeze as we speak will be leaving it over night on high.

the question i have is why anti freeze? the difference between non antifreeze and anti freeze coolants is mono ethylene glycol.

so............is ethylene glycol used as a cleaner? whats so good about antifreeze. it must be the ingredients so we may be able to purchase the one or two ingredients for an even greater effect like pure chemical use instead of being diluted in the whole make up of antifreeze.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluexile67
i have my pipe in a slow cooker and antifreeze as we speak will be leaving it over night on high.

the question i have is why anti freeze? the difference between non antifreeze and anti freeze coolants is mono ethylene glycol.

so............is ethylene glycol used as a cleaner? whats so good about antifreeze. it must be the ingredients so we may be able to purchase the one or two ingredients for an even greater effect like pure chemical use instead of being diluted in the whole make up of antifreeze.
antifreeze is cheap and works great
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

boil it in water with washing tablets for dishwasher for 5minutes.
And use a brush to take of worst.Flush it with running water.It works really grate..
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray808-11
And use a brush to take of worst.Flush it with running water.It works really grate..
and this cleans out the inside of the pipe?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Now the question really is does this proceedure clean the carbon from the inside of the pipe??
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boinker
Now the question really is does this proceedure clean the carbon from the inside of the pipe??
This is what I got out of my pipe with antifreeze for 24 hours. the pipe had roughly 7 gallons on it.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
This is what I got out of my pipe with antifreeze for 24 hours. the pipe had roughly 7 gallons on it.
i think he was referring to this method

Originally Posted by xray808-11
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

in my experience after slow cooking pipe in 100% antifreeze coolant over night.
upon taking out and washing with water.

results were: outside of pipe clean similar to the pictures posted in an erlyer post. so yes the pipe comes out clean like new.

the inside of the pipe. seems the antifreeze loosens it but needed a bottle brush to clean out. a whole heap of black crap came out with water.

still a bit of carbon build up in there so i shall cook again over night. and use a gernie (high pressure water blaster) to flush pipe and header.

Last edited by bluexile67; 08-08-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kgombe
and this cleans out the inside of the pipe?
some of it.It wil loosen up,so use a bottle brush on inside and boil it again and then flush it with wather.
I know the outside get clean but i am not shore about inside.If i have time i wil try in a few days...

I know a fast and not so recomended way.And i dont know if this rc pipe wil live if it goes wrong.
In my younger days when i had a smal motor bike i did fil some starter gas for carburators in to the pipe and fired up with a lighter and used some air on can
and it wil burn thrue the pipe and then when the fire is out you just shake it good and al the carbon/black pieces wil just fal out.

The problem is that sometimes this wil blow up in your face if you do it wrong.
My friend in the school did try this out in the parking lot at school and his pipe did eksploud in his face.The pipe from his bike did survive,and it was really clean.
But his face was wery black and he did get some pain,but after all he was ok.
do not do this at home or anywhere else,it is dangerous.