Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree47Likes

ALPHA OFF ROAD ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What's the new rear back plate you mention? I got a black head Dragon in a deal with a buggy 3 or 4 years ago. Is there a way to determine which model it is? Another question, I have the Lutz Worlds, Lutz pink, A852, and the Dragon mentioned above. Which of these would be the best choice for a truggy on a smaller, relatively tight track and which Alpha pipe would be the best choice? I know a lot depends on driving style but I'm just looking for kind of general information. Like I said, our track is tight so I need low end. I have an Alpha .23 as well but I'd prefer one of the .21s for fuel mileage. Thank you

A
Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
I'm running it on my Alpha GT Dragon IV engine (in a GT car of course) for 2 weeks now, with a mandatory 7mm restrictor. I've noticed a consistent increase of at least 30-40 seconds, without any real drawbacks. I was expecting a drop in top speed (which is very important in on-road racing) but I don't notice it at all. Just free mileage basically- huge step forwards. On my track, I went from 7:50-7:55 fuel tanks to 8:35-8:40, which is a huge advantage since now I can pit at 7:30 without any fears in a 30 minute main (7:30-15-22:30). With the track being approx. a 20sec one, it was a huge risk before to manage 7:30 with a 7:50 runtime so I always ran 6 minute interval (6-12-18-24). So basically the new carb gives me a free pitstop in a main. Plus, I feel the engine sounds quieter?

I also tried the new rear backplate, which itself makes a few seconds more. It also makes the car idle much nicer, it drops instantly to idle speed unlike any other engine.

In a buggy it will make an even bigger difference. At least 10 minutes should now be possible for anyone, I am sure. It will also work on a Dragon III, because the carbs will all interchange.

Last edited by BrettL; 03-09-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Here's the link for the backplate description

Alpha Dragon IV ?injector? backplate -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News

To answer your question, I'd still use a Dragon, especially with the new carb if possible. On a tight track the runtime gain will be even greater
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. This Dragon is low hours but several years old. It has the standard old carb. It seems to have ok power but I'd like more punch on the bottom end for my truggy. We've got some big jumps with relatively short approach. Which Alpha pipe is best suited to provide low end torque?

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Here's the link for the backplate description

Alpha Dragon IV ?injector? backplate -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News

To answer your question, I'd still use a Dragon, especially with the new carb if possible. On a tight track the runtime gain will be even greater
Old 06-05-2020, 11:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL
What's the new rear back plate you mention? I got a black head Dragon in a deal with a buggy 3 or 4 years ago. Is there a way to determine which model it is? Another question, I have the Lutz Worlds, Lutz pink, A852, and the Dragon mentioned above. Which of these would be the best choice for a truggy on a smaller, relatively tight track and which Alpha pipe would be the best choice? I know a lot depends on driving style but I'm just looking for kind of general information. Like I said, our track is tight so I need low end. I have an Alpha .23 as well but I'd prefer one of the .21s for fuel mileage. Thank you

A
dragon has no numbers on crank case.
dragon 2 has II
dragon 3 has III
dragon 4 has IV
dragon 4 with new carb and back plate not sure if any visual difference in graphics but carb and backplate different.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BrettL
Thanks for the input. This Dragon is low hours but several years old. It has the standard old carb. It seems to have ok power but I'd like more punch on the bottom end for my truggy. We've got some big jumps with relatively short approach. Which Alpha pipe is best suited to provide low end torque?
Hi, I'd stick with the 2134 pipe and try different manifolds. I've tried it with the longer AP-XU00003 manifold (came with the 2090 I think?) and it gave more low-end. Most of the times though I'd use the standard combo, but in search for more low-end I'd first try a longer manifold.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

The new carb and backplate at the Alpha Dragon IV are working perfect for us with the 2134 Alpha exhaust pipe.
Solid runtimes at the big tracks we have here on the island, Performance and Power great.
Nice bottom as well top end super linear during power output.
During pit stops the idle is on point straight thanks to the design of the new backplate, Flame outs so far during re-fill in races = zero.
The tuning ability of the new 7,5mm carb is for me a game changer it is super stable and on point.
We are playing a lot with 6mm and 6,5mm Venturis to gain the absolute best runtime for us depends the temperature and humidity we face.
So far it all worked out during this season.

I have to mention the usage of the Alpha 4 shoe clutch. We are using for High grip and Medium grip the setting with 2x medium spring and 2x soft springs.
This gives a easy control for throttle feeling as well needed punch when needed.
I only can recommend the package Dragon IV, 2134 pipe and the Alpha 4 shoe clutch in combination.

You can check AsiaRC on FB there are infos of the last race at the Red Ant Off Road Nitro GP of us here in Taiwan (Young boy with sunglasses)
In add. Alpha RC have an channel on YouTube where more Videos will be added in the near future.
…..youtube.com/channel/UCKU7m0bUIpTX5GGyRf9xpnw/videos

Last edited by Mario_Taiwan; 06-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Alpha motor tuning Question.

Picked up an older 1/8 scale buggy with an Alpha Plus Orange head motor. Not sure what model it is. Question is about the carb settings. 80 degree day. 30% nitro. High speed needle only 3/4 turn out and low setting was sitting at almost 4 turns out. Don’t think it should be set that way. But that it where it ended up running ok. Had steady idle. Pretty good bottom and mid range response and good top end speed. Temps were right around 210 with a hot glow plug. Anybody had settings like this? Thinking there must be a problem with the carb.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Sounds to me it is the .28 T-850 what is a 5P engine who comes with the Orange cooling head.
This have nothing to say without to see the insights and the housing, the cooling head you can also get separate as a spare part.
Check the Conrod when you get an used engine, check for play when needed and replace it.
Alpha or OS P3 plug....carb settings sounds ok to me.
Factory settings are (Factory settings are always rich!)
HSN 1/2 turn in from flush
LSN 1/2 turn in from flush
Race tune is in the area approx.
HSN 1/2 turn in and more from flush
LSN 2.5 turn in from flush

Take a digital calliper and measure in mm. from flush, that will be more precise for future adjustments compare to turn in or out.
Have fun with your engine!

Last edited by Mario_Taiwan; 06-10-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Orange head could be s852 to also.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default S852

Yes I believe it is the S852. Has 21 on the side of the crankcase. I guess if it’s running ok at the settings I have it at. I will leave it and run it. Thanks for the help.
BrettL and jersey like this.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Took my ancient RC8T with Alpha .23 out during the Corona lockdown(and also 4-5 year old Tornado fuel..), really just to see if it still ran at all.. Yep.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone know where to buy Alpha P3 plugs in the US? Or anyone have left overs PM me!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello. New user here I have a question about the alpha dragon 28 rtr engine. Not sure how many ports it has but i assume 3p. It has the black head instead of the grey if that matters.
So im looking for factory default settings and i emailed to alphaplus. They said that the factory setting for the LSN is 6 laps in from flush. Does that mean 6 turns or hours? Because what ive read here in the forum that the 6 turns in sounds awfully lean for starters. Thanks and must say this is a very informative forum!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Took my ancient RC8T with Alpha .23 out during the Corona lockdown(and also 4-5 year old Tornado fuel..), really just to see if it still ran at all.. Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoYB3k0RlA&t=74s
nice to see you running man! Engine seems to run very well, always liked the looks of those alpha engines and from what I’ve seen on YouTube videos mostly, people love those alphas. Shame they don’t really sell them like that in the u.s anymore
Old 09-17-2020, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

It really is a shame. I've got a Werks B5 waiting to be broken in but my Alpha IV has yet to let me down. I haven't been easy on it... I ran it in a qualifier straight out of the box over a year ago and it's still going strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.