Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

PS pipe in the OP^^^ looks dialed!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Allumina
I can post a pic later to show as an example...but if you're looking for "durability/quality of finish over time" the ceramic header coating is not what you're after. We originally had the headers on our sprintcar done with the chrome-like ceramic coating and after about a month of racing they basically looked "flat/matte" silver.

One advantage to ceramic coating, i suppose, is that you CAN polish it right back out with a polishing compound and a LOT of elbow grease... but if thats the case...why not jsut use a factory polished pipe?

We're running a satin-black cermic coating now on our headers... it doesnt look as fancy but it sure does a better job.
Both the blue pipe, and the Gold pipe have a matte finish from the start. I'm not after the chrome/polished look.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i had a friend od mine powder coat two pipes and a header...it looks great and has not came off by heat..and is pretty resistant to dirt and the . i dont know how much weight one might think it adds but i cannot tell the difference.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

I have used Jet Hot for years on our motorcycles, always worked great. We have only tried "Black" and its a cool product. I wanted to try the Sterling on mine buggy. I will send and Old 2060 to the and have him do it "Sterling". Let ya know.

FYI, not all ceramic coats are equal. We had a local do some pipes for us for free once, and it was JUNK!! Jet Hot is the way to go if you want ceramic.

Brian at PTM, do you see any draw backs to the Jet Hot as far as performance?? You can come bye one day and I will show you the pipes on my chopper if you want to see exactly what it is.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rpm1968
SWEEEEEEEEET
Even matches the mugen head
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r1harper
i had a friend od mine powder coat two pipes and a header...it looks great and has not came off by heat..and is pretty resistant to dirt and the . i dont know how much weight one might think it adds but i cannot tell the difference.
Right.

It takes less than a teaspoon of powder to coat something the size of a pipe. It's not a noticeable weight.

I'm going to coat mine soon. I just can't decide between the colors I have. I'm kinda thinking about this sickening florescent pink I have. It would throw people off for sure. That or a candy purple.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by markr04
Right.

It takes less than a teaspoon of powder to coat something the size of a pipe. It's not a noticeable weight.

I'm going to coat mine soon. I just can't decide between the colors I have. I'm kinda thinking about this sickening florescent pink I have. It would throw people off for sure. That or a candy purple.
Candy purple gets my vote.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i did mine in flat black
Old 03-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Flat Black gets my vote.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Man that pipe looks sexxxy, lol. If the cost is affordable sign me up.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Here is a little tech type data on the product we are looking at using on the inside of the header.

Insulkote provides a superior thermal barrier for internal and external exhaust systems. Performance properties include; heat transfer reduction, shielding as a base coat under topcoat applications, and maximum corrosion protection after being exposed to high temperatures. When used as a base coat, Insulkote greatly extends the performance properties of the topcoats. Formulated for heat transfer, Insulkote increases performance and horsepower by increasing heat scavenging during the exhaust cycle. The satin smooth finish increases exhaust gas velocity while being able to withstand temperatures in excess of 1800° F.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is a little tech type data on the product we are looking at using on the inside of the header.

Insulkote provides a superior thermal barrier for internal and external exhaust systems. Performance properties include; heat transfer reduction, shielding as a base coat under topcoat applications, and maximum corrosion protection after being exposed to high temperatures. When used as a base coat, Insulkote greatly extends the performance properties of the topcoats. Formulated for heat transfer, Insulkote increases performance and horsepower by increasing heat scavenging during the exhaust cycle. The satin smooth finish increases exhaust gas velocity while being able to withstand temperatures in excess of 1800° F.

How much how much ?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I want it. Sign me up. I love that color and it will go great with my new ninja I just ordered. Once I have the cash for a 2060 I will hit you guys up for the coating.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think what it's going to come down to is price.
How much is it going to cost to have a header and
pipe done. Is it going to be cheaper for me,in the long
run to buy a descent powder coating set-up and do it
myself ? Eastwood Co. has some afordable set-ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.