Search
Like Tree2Likes

Go-Tech Engines Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wick3dr00st3r
How far would you say the performance gap is between a sport and a race 3 port?

wick3dr00st3r

here is 3 port sport specs

Specifications:
Maximum power: 2.60 hp
RPM: 31,000 rpm
Practical RPM Range: 6,000 - 37,000 rpm
Bore: 16.26mm
Stroke: 16.80mm
Crankshaft: 14mm SG
Glow Plug Type: Standard
Exhaust Type: Rear

here is 3 port race specs

Maximum Power 2.6hp
R.P.M 37.000rpm
Practical Range 6.000/40.000rpm
Bore/Stroke 16.26mm/16.80mm
Ports 3+2
Crankshaft 14mm SG
Carburetor 8mm
Glow Plug Type Turbo
Exhaust Type Rear

you can put a turbo button on the sport engine but it wont make it like the race 3 port but will be close and runs just as good

i ran one with turbo button and the go black carb instead of stock sport and it ran awesome. for what you are wanting to stay reasonable on price you will like it . if you dont mind paying alittle more for a motor the race 3 port will be a rocket and is very powerful thnx will g
Old 01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There is a large difference, plus the sports have a lesser quality carb smaller bearings and the 3 port race is the newest design from GO. My next buggy engine will be the 3 port race probably, they are fast.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

A question for you guys running the 5 port race in buggy. I have a PTM 5 port w/TKO bearings and it was in truggy. Now its going into buggy, any clutch set up tips because I know this mill is a MONSTER off the line. I was thinking .9 springs w/carbon shoes.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malik
A question for you guys running the 5 port race in buggy. I have a PTM 5 port w/TKO bearings and it was in truggy. Now its going into buggy, any clutch set up tips because I know this mill is a MONSTER off the line. I was thinking .9 springs w/carbon shoes.
Hi malik. I don't think you need to tame the beast quite that much. It will depend on track type and surface a lot, plus driving style I guess. I run a Massive Mods Stage 5 5 Port in my buggy which would be very similar to the ProTwister modded 5 Port I would say. Running a medium size, hard packed but usually dusty track, which is fairy tight. I have 1.1 springs with 3 x alloy shoes, but run a 6.5 mm restrictor to smooth the motor out and the buggy is quite managable. You can always run a 14 tooth bell with the 5 Port to smooth the bottom end also. My XRay 808 runs a 16 tooth clutch bell but with the XRay internal gearing, I am told this equates to a normal 13 tooth bell on other buggies.
I would tend to stick to alloy shoes if you are racing, just for the wear factor.
We have a lot of jumps straight out of corners so I need the 1.1 springs to get a good launch. Most tracks might suit 1.0 springs and alloy shoes better.
Just experiment with clutch, pipe, springs and shoes until you find what works best for your driving style and the tracks you run.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Your buggy is probably alittle lighter than the 1 I will be running, I already planned on the 6.5mm restrictor from the start. I will start where I said and thn maybe try a mix like 2 alum and 1 carbon w/1.0 springs. I tried mixing before on truggy and had no luck with it. I will mostly be on med size tracks hard packed with some dust on the edges. I really dont want to go with alum if I dont have to. Whats the difference between teflon and carbon shoes? My chassis sponsor has both available and 2 styles of 7075 alum shoes but like I said I am going to try to not have to use the alum shoes unless I have to.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wick3dr00st3r
How far would you say the performance gap is between a sport and a race 3 port?
I have never ran the 3 port sport not modded but it is awsome modded, I like it better than my 3 race. (For less than $150.00) I like keeping up with Jx Ninja's with that cheap looking blue head sticking out.
A turbo button should be enough you can feel a difference but not real drastic.

Rex
Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Your buggy is probably alittle lighter than the 1 I will be running, I already planned on the 6.5mm restrictor from the start. I will start where I said and thn maybe try a mix like 2 alum and 1 carbon w/1.0 springs. I tried mixing before on truggy and had no luck with it. I will mostly be on med size tracks hard packed with some dust on the edges. I really dont want to go with alum if I dont have to. Whats the difference between teflon and carbon shoes? My chassis sponsor has both available and 2 styles of 7075 alum shoes but like I said I am going to try to not have to use the alum shoes unless I have to.
Just out of interest, why don't you want to use alloy shoes ?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

I am going to get a .28 sport also because I like to mod my own engines. Rex do you just open the ports up a little and polish the crank? I open up the fangs alittle + the ports but leave the EXHAUST port alone. Was thinking of trying some crank work, I have a few old ofna force .28's around here that I ported and they fly for a cheap engine.What kind of a apoxy do you use for the crank to fill in the ramp.

I only turn left !!!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Whats the difference between teflon and carbon shoes? My chassis sponsor has both available and 2 styles of 7075 alum shoes but like I said I am going to try to not have to use the alum shoes unless I have to.
Teflon "should" wear better, imo, teflon or carbon should only be used for mid to top end motors like the 7 port, it would help with a better take off as the tef/carb shoes engage later in the rev range because there lighter, with the 5 and 3 port, i'd stick to alloy with ether 1.0 or 1.1 springs as it has awesome bottom ( just to let you know i have run in my 5 port with this setup, with slicks on new bitumen and i can easily lose traction!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Malik, I don't know how the Casters will compare to Mugen but I ran the stand. alum. with 1.0 springs in my 3r and it was perfect. Used the standard carb restric. with an 086 and it was super linear. On my truggy I ran the mugen carbon shoes with 1.0 springs with a go 5 port. standard carb restric. with jp-2 and it was very smooth too. I was shocked how well the carbons wore with the 1.0 spring in a truggy.
with that said I would try the casters or get ahold of russell and try the vp pro shoes with 1.0 springs in buggy shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i liked the teflon shoes with the 1.1's, not too much and just enough at the same time. the teflons look to wear better than the carbon's so i already ordered 3 sets of shoes and springs. they also seem to de-burr themselves regularly. the caster springs you need to trim about 5mm off the ends so they don't hit the clutchbell. i'll try them on the truggy soon but i don't think it will be enough, maybe good on a really loose track.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default EB mods 5-port

Anyone hot one yet!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Best clutch combo for a 5pt is light weight alumn. shoes with .9 springs in buggy, smooths out the power and also gets better mileage. plus with alumn. shoes your clutch always grabs when you need it too. The Vp shoes are nice, they are light and come with all the springs, they are a soft alumn. though so they are not like themax life shoes, but they grab hard.

Also for anyone who says you can't race a 3 port sport engine, i have to proove you wrong, I ran one in a 2 hour endurance race and it ran fan. I raced it out and california (hesperia) and won buggy against P5's and other engines, it also the same engine I gave Will to run and he thought it was great, I think its a great engine for someone just looking for something to play around with and race occasionally. I do reccomend a turbo head button.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Were can I get vp-pro parts from a US dealer ?

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.