Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default blur-strait-blur-strait-repete forever

At the Emerald City Classic I plan on trying the camera up in the drivers seat and see if that helps with the blur. I also want to try a rearward facing camera at the same time and then merge them into a side by side playback.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Next Race?

Hi all,

Any word on whether the next race is this coming weekend or next weekend? I think Todd mentioned that we might reschedule due to Easter coming up. I was curious if there was a decision yet?

Thanks!
Sam
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Samwise
Hi all,

Any word on whether the next race is this coming weekend or next weekend? I think Todd mentioned that we might reschedule due to Easter coming up. I was curious if there was a decision yet?

Thanks!
Sam
I thought the announcement during the drivers' meeting sounded pretty official.

-Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Samwise
Hi all,

Thanks!
Sam
Thanks for the question Sam. If you hadn't asked it, some of us that were not able to make it, and were not able to be at the drivers meeting wouldn't know there was a possible schedule change discussed.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Schedule Change

Hello Racers!

We have a change of schedule. We will be racing this coming Saturday and taking the Easter weekend off.

Club Race
Saturday, March 23
4pm Setup
5pm Practice
6pm Q1

Many thanks to the Barn Owls for agreeing to the switch.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bah weak I can't make it
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

An interesting discussion starting on the main EP Onroad forum: "Let's Talk Modified." Since I'm NOT one of the nation's top mod drivers () I will read and not talk. But, since we are also one of the very few clubs around with a consistent mod field of any sort, there are many of us who have taken the step into Modified racing and are building our skills in the class. Nearing the end of my first season of Modified, the biggest lesson I've learned is this: Add speed to consistency.

Strapping in a big motor and telling yourself that you will get used to it is a recipe for frustration and a near guaranteed ticket back to Stock. Those racers who have been racing for years have had the opportunity to gradually adjust to the gradual increase in speed we've seen in the electric classes over time. Now, this is often said, and some people call bullshit on the argument. So (O! The glories of the internet!), here are two comparison videos. To my eye, the modern Stock car would be competitive in the modified field of years past.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

As an aside: do those mod brushed motors sound great or what!?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
An interesting discussion starting on the main EP Onroad forum: "Let's Talk Modified." Since I'm NOT one of the nation's top mod drivers () I will read and not talk. But, since we are also one of the very few clubs around with a consistent mod field of any sort, there are many of us who have taken the step into Modified racing and are building our skills in the class. Nearing the end of my first season of Modified, the biggest lesson I've learned is this: Add speed to consistency.

Strapping in a big motor and telling yourself that you will get used to it is a recipe for frustration and a near guaranteed ticket back to Stock. Those racers who have been racing for years have had the opportunity to gradually adjust to the gradual increase in speed we've seen in the electric classes over time. Now, this is often said, and some people call bullshit on the argument. So (O! The glories of the internet!), here are two comparison videos. To my eye, the modern Stock car would be competitive in the modified field of years past.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

As an aside: do those mod brushed motors sound great or what!?
I have a ton of mod motors if you would like to give one a whirl, I personally think there easier to drive, an the sound, oh my, if anyone has a Novak gtx I will boot one up and run it! I just hate the 3 wire install in a bl speedo for brushed, I figured a 9 turn would be about perfect, have 9x1, 9x2 and a 9x3, and it's my old team stuff
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Todd, be sure you aren't watching the 17.5 video in fast forward !

IMHO, *In the corners* from 17.5 and up to mod the cars are going similar speed. But in the short straights between corners there is plenty of difference between the mod of yesteryear and 17.5 of today. Those brushed mod motors look like they accelerate off the corners quickly whereas the 17.5 don't and 17.5 lacks the top speed of those brushed mod motors too.

I lent my dialed X-ray 009 to Korey. He ran boosted 13.5 and TQ'd in MOD for one of the Asphalt Series events at Fastrax last year. It is a smallish track for MOD. In the main he didn't have a chance because once the mod cars got by him on the main straight he couldn't use the infield advantage because he had to try to overtake on almost every lap. It was only good for qualifying because it was far easier to drive with less power than mod but only good if the race director was ordering people to move over for the qualifying "leader".

It does sound cool !

signed
Anonymous
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Todd, be sure you aren't watching the 17.5 video in fast forward !
nah.. my stock car was just that good at the Jackson nats. if that race was only 5m30s
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

No way!

Maybe...maybe, for the first minute of their 4 minute race the 2001 Mod car has a little more top end. Nah. I take it back. They are comparable views on comparable tracks, but they aren't exactly the same. The 2001 track has a sweeper coming onto the straight. The temporary top end difference is because they are able to carry a ton of speed onto the straight, whereas the 2011 cars are having to pull hard out of a chicane coming on.

Watch in the sweeper. There's several good comp shots. I'm going to say the 17.5's are just as fast and get faster. Particularly after the 2 minute mark. But, the evidence is there for all to see and judge...

As for Korey's 13.5 car this past summer. I'm not comparing today's Mod cars to anything. The modern Mod car with a 5.5 or lower is a stump pulling beast. Of course he was down on top end by comparison. You guys were running low turn brushless mod motors with 5000+ mah packs. What's faster than that?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
No way!

Maybe...maybe, for the first minute of their 4 minute race the 2001 Mod car has a little more top end. Nah. I take it back. They are comparable views on comparable tracks, but they aren't exactly the same. The 2001 track has a sweeper coming onto the straight. The temporary top end difference is because they are able to carry a ton of speed onto the straight, whereas the 2011 cars are having to pull hard out of a chicane coming on.

Watch in the sweeper. There's several good comp shots. I'm going to say the 17.5's are just as fast and get faster. Particularly after the 2 minute mark. But, the evidence is there for all to see and judge...

As for Korey's 13.5 car this past summer. I'm not comparing today's Mod cars to anything. The modern Mod car with a 5.5 or lower is a stump pulling beast. Of course he was down on top end by comparison. You guys were running low turn brushless mod motors with 5000+ mah packs. What's faster than that?
Ah, 2001 when I was just a teenager. Brett could probably pipe in hear as I think he was there too.

Now if you're refering to laptime wise, yes 17.5 would be pretty close to modified of 2001. If you're talking horsepower then no. Those cars were still faster in a straight line. I don't know how big jacksonville is but speedworld was not a big track. Probably simliar size to the Hanger. Speedworld was also very hot so many people were fighting overheating tires and had to drive very carefully

Things to remember.... the cars were heavier, Mod motors could only go as far as the battery (2400's or 3000's i can't remember), car tech is way better now (so they corner better)

Mod is mod. Whether it be 2001 or 2013. The technology has changed a ton but you still have to be super smooth and be one of the best in the nation to drive it well. Stock is still stock. You still spend most of the race at full throttle.

At a much bigger track 3 years later brushes were even faster
+ YouTube Video
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

I coulda built a motor that would smoke a brushless, but it would dump 4 minutes into the race... Batteries just weren't there, that was the battle. Make the motor as fast as you could without it dumping, we would have them going 5 min 15 seconds, just hope you didn't have to go that extra lap!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

I will build up a 7 turn and maintain it if someone wants to try it!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im thinkin you cant compare the 2... motors are not the only part that has changed! The limiting factor, way back when, the Batteries!!! when you arent pulling the trigger all the way down the back strait just so you can make time... its not the motors fault... its 1800mah vs 5000mah. if you were to take a car from back in the day. drop in a 7-tripple, 5000mah of battery. it would definatly still be too fast for me

Erik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.