Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for that Modellor!

Cheer, Mark.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

I believe Mark should already have the 10x15x4 bearings from the FC steering blocks.

I think changing the Serpent servo saver would render different Ackerman steering on the 705.

Also, why would Mark need Yokomo's front one way drive cups? He is planning to drive the front solid axle.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

You guys are going to love me when I post pics of my rear diff mod...I am thinking either tonight or tomorrow night.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Thats a good point on the ackerman. It does alter the ackermann slightly. But for the better. On tests against a stock 705 with Serpent FC blocks I was able to turn about a full foot tighter radius when changing to the yokomo hubs.

The Yokomo outdrives sit further out than the Serpent ones as do the axles. So if you keep the Serpent outdrives whether for the one-way or solid axle then the drive shafts can come out at full steering lock. By using the Yokomo ones you null this problem. I should have read more carefully. But Yokomo outdrives come in packs of 4 so I can easily mix a pack if Mark was interested in having both.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by modellor
Thats a good point on the ackerman. It does alter the ackermann slightly. But for the better. On tests against a stock 705 with Serpent FC blocks I was able to turn about a full foot tighter radius when changing to the yokomo hubs.

The Yokomo outdrives sit further out than the Serpent ones as do the axles. So if you keep the Serpent outdrives whether for the one-way or solid axle then the drive shafts can come out at full steering lock. By using the Yokomo ones you null this problem. I should have read more carefully. But Yokomo outdrives come in packs of 4 so I can easily mix a pack if Mark was interested in having both.
Hi Modellor,

That last bit went a wee bit above my head

Are the outdrives equivalent to the serpent geardiff adaptors?

I'll try and post some picture to show the problem I've got - having trouble keeping awake for more than five minutes at a time at the moment Bloody flu!
Old 09-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Hi Mark.

The outdrives will fit on the same as the Serpent ones (direct bolt onto the gear diff adapters/solid axle ends). But they are also longer and the slot doesnt go as deep for the dogbone pins as the ones on the Serpent do.

The main reason for this is that the Yokomo hubs are thinner than the Serpents so the dogbone has to be kept further out. With the Serpent outdrives the dogbones can slide in too far leaving them prone to falling out. But with the Yokomo outdrives this doesnt happen.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

AHA! Sounds just the job!
Is it possible to use the serpent dogbones with the Yokomo outdrives?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Proficar403
You guys are going to love me when I post pics of my rear diff mod...I am thinking either tonight or tomorrow night.
Sorry Arun, you'll have to wait till next Friday to post your pics (j/k)

Shoot
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

I never tried them for fit but I dont think so. Yokomo bones are equal sizes at both ends whereas the Serpent ones have one end larger than the other (or is that just the rear?). I'll recheck just to be sure. I am stripping my car down tonight so I will check then and let you know.
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Sorry Arun, you'll have to wait till next Friday to post your pics (j/k)

Shoot
Evil pure evil!!
Tech Prophet

Interesting.

Sorry. Silly me and I misread and confused outdrives with drive cups.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

I never tried them for fit but I dont think so. Yokomo bones are equal sizes at both ends whereas the Serpent ones have one end larger than the other (or is that just the rear?). I'll recheck just to be sure. I am stripping my car down tonight so I will check then and let you know.
I think that's the rear - I was refitting my front dogs last night and tried both ends, as I remembered that one end was bigger than the other, but both end fit ok....must be the rears that are different.

You don't have a digicam, do you?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
Evil pure evil!!
May the force be with ya
Old 09-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default 1/8th Sevo saver

I used a 1/8th Servo saver when I rebuilt my car last night (now to be re-built due to dog bone problems ) and now the steering arms can be mounted on the under side of the servo saver without rubbing on the belt! This is because the flange onto which the balls mount is higher up on the 1/8th servo saver as on the 1/10th part.

InitialD recommened it for a better Ackermann, but it also solves the ball fit problem, too.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Tech Prophet

I think that's the rear - I was refitting my front dogs last night and tried both ends, as I remembered that one end was bigger than the other, but both end fit ok....must be the rears that are different.
Yes, the rear doggies have one side larger at the ends than the other. The large one is suppose to go into the ball diff side and the smaller on to the hub bearings.

You don't have a digicam, do you?
Ahhh, trying that lame D1 trick again on unsuspecting forumers, are ya? That's downright evil I say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.