Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Que
Why didn't serpent just release the 705 with the impluse ball diff
Que, I think you misread what I wrote...

The 705 comes with the 801430 ball diff that looks exactly like the Impact ball diff (801396). The only difference I believe is the material of construction.

Yeah, you will ask why Serpent didn't come out with the stronger 801396 Impact ball diff... I asked the same question you did when the 705 came out and why in the promotional pics of the 705 on mytsn shows that the ball diff of the Impact with the hardened Hudy springsteel. I would think reasons of cost would be one of them...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by pokemon
initiald

juz to confirm abt the 17/22/47 pulleys. i noticed my rear is already 47t so need to get the 22 n 17. do i need to change the belt too ?
No need. That is why you need to use the 22T with the 47T so that you can use the same rear belt.

In order to make the front ratio the same as the rear ratio as a result of the 22T / 47T change, the 18T needs to be changed to 17T.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nats were a thrill and a pain for a 1st timer to a national event.I thank Espo for a great starting set-up after the 1st qual. round.I'm still is cali. visiting family.I got d.q.'ed twice for having a side damn 1mm too big and the other they said my exhaust tip was over 5mm........but that was reverse but they didn't give me back my time.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Pit-racer, there's always a first time in everything. Whatever it is, the experience gotten from participating in such a big event would be huge and beneficial. For a privateer, I know it's difficult having to juggle everthing and at the same time concentrate on driving.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Que
Tech Adept

Hey initial D we still need pictures!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Pit-racer, there's always a first time in everything. Whatever it is, the experience gotten from participating in such a big event would be huge and beneficial. For a privateer, I know it's difficult having to juggle everthing and at the same time concentrate on driving.
Show us the money, InitialD - we need those "D1" pictures
Old 08-12-2003, 01:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Don't bug me guys.... I'll try and post some bodyshell pics tonight Well, I don't know if they will be D1 quality or not. Sorry, no race pics. Too sad to shoot any...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Too sad? What happend?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Well, nothing serious happened. Just a little dissapointed that I did not and could not give my best during the race... Let's just say that using a new Lola shell with a different shape without doing any testing was not a good idea for a race debut The old Lola shell I was using previously was working perfectly during test. To make things worst, track conditions changed and did not have any lower shore tires to counter the problem Least to say, the car oversteered like mad...

While I had a rather bad weekend, team Serpent in US and especially in Europe had a very good outing last weekend
Old 08-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

Woth putting down to experience, probably!

Is it the Serpent Lola shell?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Yah I guess... But then I'll probably have to wait for another year before we can compete competitively on that track again...

It's not the Serpent Lola shell... It's the Frewer one. The one that I used previously was a K factory one which had smoother lines and sitted lower on the car. The Frewer one sits higher overall and has drastic curves in the bumper and the tail end unlike the K factory one which has more gradual lines.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok I need alittle help I need to know the formula to find the overall gear ratio for 1st and 2nd gear using the pulleys I have on the car Thanks

Ok I had a couple of things come up while I was building my car nothing new cause I found out the problems on the thread before I started building the car.

1-radio plate drove me crazy not lining up with the bulk heads tried everything in the world to get it to work but was coming up 2.5mm short on one shock side after hours of working with the problem (I didnt want to rework the holes in the plate if I didnt have to )I found the fix.Im lucky I have the orig.impulse spec car.so I knew the bulk heads are the same so I traded bulk heads from the old car to new and to my surprise it lined up with no problem.Damn I was lucky!!! The other thing Ive found is if you want to change the rear upright spacers Ive found 2 easy ways to do it .you can use the motor mount washers 2 0f them are 4mm and a bit or Ive raced losi offroad cars and have several extra shock pistons I opened the center hole up and 2 of them togathor are right around 4.4mm thought that I would share the info.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by serpentracer1
Ok I need alittle help I need to know the formula to find the overall gear ratio for 1st and 2nd gear using the pulleys I have on the car Thanks
1st Gear Ratio = (1st Gear Spur / 1st Gear Pinion) x (Rear Diff Pulley / Brake Pulley)

2nd Gear Ratio = (2nd Gear Spur / 2nd Gear Pinion) x (Rear Diff Pulley / Brake Pulley)

Using the stock pinions (16T/19T), spurs (49T/45T) and internal pulleys (18T/23T/46T);

1st Gear Ratio = (49/16) x (46/23) = 6.125

2nd Gear Ratio = (45/19) x (46/23) = 4.737

1-radio plate drove me crazy not lining up with the bulk heads tried everything in the world to get it to work but was coming up 2.5mm short on one shock side after hours of working with the problem (I didnt want to rework the holes in the plate if I didnt have to )I found the fix.Im lucky I have the orig.impulse spec car.so I knew the bulk heads are the same so I traded bulk heads from the old car to new and to my surprise it lined up with no problem.Damn I was lucky!!!
Yup, I believe the reason why the original front bulkheads from the Impulse line up nicely is because they have already worn in over time. Mine was tight initially and now the radio plate lines and fits nicely onto the front buklheads.

The other thing Ive found is if you want to change the rear upright spacers Ive found 2 easy ways to do it .you can use the motor mount washers 2 0f them are 4mm and a bit or Ive raced losi offroad cars and have several extra shock pistons I opened the center hole up and 2 of them togathor are right around 4.4mm thought that I would share the info.
Yup, I mentioned this before. The motor mount shims will give you 2.5 mm each and 2 stacked up together will give you about 5 mm.

Last edited by InitialD; 08-12-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Which is better for perfomance on a 705 with a touring car body the floating rear mount or the stock rear adjustable body posts?

I think that the Floating rear mount will help with handeling more because the down force from the wing will be transfered directly to the rear suspension blocks, and then on to the tires to the ground where it is needed and suposed to be.

The stock mounts transfer all the down force directly to the chasis which compresses the shocks at high speed. lowering the chasis to the ground and in some cases rubbing the ground. effecting performance due to suspension geometry change. I think!

The 950 is setup that way so maybe it is a good idea to put the floating rear mount on the 705 it is based on the 950 winning desgin anyway right.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Que
I think that the Floating rear mount will help with handeling more because the down force from the wing will be transfered directly to the rear suspension blocks, and then on to the tires to the ground where it is needed and suposed to be.
You got it right bro... At least exactly what I thought about... However if you look at the touring cars that Team Serpent uses, they use the normal touring car body post. None of them uses the floating rear body mount meant for GTP / Lola bodies.

The problem with using rear floating mount type of bodies is that you are not able to use rear spacers on the rear uprights. I think you are only limited to a 2.5 mm spacer. That's about it.

I have one that I modified a little and use on my touring car bodies. It's on my Impulse PRO that usually gets a Lola shell on it. I thought it felt about the same though... Well, on smaller tracks that is. I would think on high speed tracks, the effect is felt more.

What I did was to shave off the small mount post on the floating rear mount as this is insufficient lenght to hold a TC shell. I drill a hole for a screw exactly at the spot of the old post for me to mount a new taller post.

I'll try out this weekend the floating rear mount on TC shells on my 705 on a high speed track and see the differences.

p/s: Before you remind me again or I get shot down by Mark, yes I forgot to bring pics with me... again. I'll try and remember tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.