Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well, i had a clutch problem again recently and i have this issue once back before when i got this car and until now it happens to me again.Ok here is the problem, i got the new yellow clutch shoe installed and it chewed up in powder for less then 1min.....try a new one and it happen again. My engine didnt even up to the temp yet and the endbell was like 305 degreei know it must be something going wrong somewhere. Installed the clutch system as per the instruction sheet, everything is new stock except i got the mugen super hard spring on it and i dont think that will do the damage....... ( captain ) still remember the last time you set up my clutch, after that it was running perfectly smooth and it still the same setup until now but this chewing up clutch shoe thing is happening to me again. Ops...do you know that i am back to my country already? How's the event going on at the capitol classic race? Did the brooklyn boys bring back some goodies? Really miss those days with you guys but hey, do you believe that back in my country here the majority of 1/10 & 1/8 is serpent, there will be 9 out of 10 cars are 960Ops...little out of topic. Any advice of the above mentioned problem will be greatly appreciated.

Happy racing,
Chris
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've seen this 3 times, and all three times the culprit was a warped lightweight clutchbell. Take off your clutchbell and put it onto a very flat surface (such as a piece of glass), and if it rocks back and forth at all, I think it's the reason for your clutch problems.

I won't run the lightweight clutchbell anymore, and I check my 'normal' clutchbell after every run for warp.

Hope you find your problem.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RockyMania
Hi guys...

Im new in this threat as ive only just went into 1/8 GP recently. Driving serpent 960 07. Simple question, i am using a front dogbone axle. I noticed the front dogbone being a lil too short when turning my steering full, ie. possible of dogbone flying off! I thought of reducing the front width so that my dogbone goes deeper into the outdrives n therefore reducing the possiblity of the dogbone flying off as i turn my steering deep. However, by doing so, the front tires will seem to have contact with my knuckles....any advise besides changing to CVD? thanks
There is a foam insert if i'm not mistaken to be place inside the front outdrive for the 960.....If not, try to cut a bit of the fuel line to put inside the front outdrive and that should solve your problem....hope this helps
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Walt
I've seen this 3 times, and all three times the culprit was a warped lightweight clutchbell. Take off your clutchbell and put it onto a very flat surface (such as a piece of glass), and if it rocks back and forth at all, I think it's the reason for your clutch problems.

I won't run the lightweight clutchbell anymore, and I check my 'normal' clutchbell after every run for warp.

Hope you find your problem.
Ya, i've heard of the lightweight clutchbell problem too n i dont run that also. Checked the condition of the clutchbell also (new) and the pressure plate as well and is still happening
Guess i have to spend more time figure it out, thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've had the problem with the clutch recently, I wasted 3 shoes in less than 1 tank. We solved it by putting the set screws on the flyweights.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi guys...

Im new in this threat as ive only just went into 1/8 GP recently. Driving serpent 960 07. Simple question, i am using a front dogbone axle. I noticed the front dogbone being a lil too short when turning my steering full, ie. possible of dogbone flying off! I thought of reducing the front width so that my dogbone goes deeper into the outdrives n therefore reducing the possiblity of the dogbone flying off as i turn my steering deep. However, by doing so, the front tires will seem to have contact with my knuckles....any advise besides changing to CVD? thanks
you can put shims behind the output shaft, that will close the space. part number ser1089
Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys...

You should set your width for handling/set-up purposes only. Adjust your dogbone issue with inserts in the drive cups (such as fuel line) or spacers on the outdrive shafts. Make certain that the bones do not bottom-out or bind at any suspension or steering condition.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I've had the problem with the clutch recently, I wasted 3 shoes in less than 1 tank. We solved it by putting the set screws on the flyweights.
What is the correct size of the set screws to put on? Where is the right position of the flyweights to be screw in? Heard some that have success with that modification but have to be aware for that. I will give it a try.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Im not sure, I think they are 1.5mm. Just take your clutch appart and look at the flyweights, they have an extra hole on them, thats where the set screws go.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

set screw size is 3x3 mm also try 1.8 long spring in stead of the msr hard spring
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

I think i have the stock flyweights with one hole only for the flywheel pin but will check it tomorrow and maybe just put the set screw in equally. By the way, did you change anything after you have the clutch failure or just add the set screw only?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

No we didnt change anything else.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Oh....ok. But have you notice that the clutch failure has cause the clutch bell over heat? Mine is like 305 degree and can see little bit of light smoke
Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM
mrx
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by michael 1
set screw size is 3x3 mm also try 1.8 long spring in stead of the msr hard spring
Thanks for the advice, will try the long spring as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrx
Well, i had a clutch problem again recently and i have this issue once back before when i got this car and until now it happens to me again.Ok here is the problem, i got the new yellow clutch shoe installed and it chewed up in powder for less then 1min.....try a new one and it happen again. My engine didnt even up to the temp yet and the endbell was like 305 degreei know it must be something going wrong somewhere. Installed the clutch system as per the instruction sheet, everything is new stock except i got the mugen super hard spring on it and i dont think that will do the damage....... ( captain ) still remember the last time you set up my clutch, after that it was running perfectly smooth and it still the same setup until now but this chewing up clutch shoe thing is happening to me again. Ops...do you know that i am back to my country already? How's the event going on at the capitol classic race? Did the brooklyn boys bring back some goodies? Really miss those days with you guys but hey, do you believe that back in my country here the majority of 1/10 & 1/8 is serpent, there will be 9 out of 10 cars are 960Ops...little out of topic. Any advice of the above mentioned problem will be greatly appreciated.

Happy racing,
Chris
hi chris i was wondering what happin to you !!!!! i lost my phone but pm me your email and number and i can still help you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.