Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:51 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: steering ackerman & rear block

Originally posted by Slotmachine
On the rear blocks: A = less rear traction B=Med. traction C=Most rear traction

Steer ackerman I almost always seem to go back to the C ackerman. I feel that it gets the car into the corner better. I tend to charge the corners a lot!
The B is standard and the A gives you the least amount of ackerman.
It is the other way around on Ackerman blocks:
A gives you most Ackerman effect, so more steering
B is 1mm shorter than A
C is 2mm shorter than A, so less steering

Ackerman effect between the three is very small and it is a very subtle difference in feeling, but mainly A is the most used, and B and C are used to dial less steering when there is to much traction to prevent roll. Also much has to do with driving styles.

AFM
Old 02-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ackerman

C should give the car faster responding steering with it pushing slightly coming out
A should have the most steering throw and have the most steering once your in the turn and coming out.

B of course is an in between deal.

I hear alot of people using C with a really tight diff setting.
and A with light to medium diff setting.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Re: ackerman

Originally posted by jwf_frani
C should give the car faster responding steering with it pushing slightly coming out
A should have the most steering throw and have the most steering once your in the turn and coming out.

B of course is an in between deal.

I hear alot of people using C with a really tight diff setting.
and A with light to medium diff setting.
ditto

'C' ackerman gives the most steering, 'B' less and 'A' the least steering. It is like a pendulum effect. The' C' ackerman has the mounts for the steering links the farthest out from the pivot point, and for the same servo throw, you will get more steering from 'C'.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default steering block and rear blocks

Just read a few post below and with different opinions. Can anyone of the moderators delete to edit incorrect postings as I also just got an MTX-3 and would like to know the effects as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Sow and Steady

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I'm even further down ... in Aldershot.

Do you have track pictures of Crystal Palace? I plan to do the nationals this year and can't find much info about your club. In fact, do you have a website?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you one of these days a t Crystal Palace!
Word of warning

Treat the chicane with respect. It wiped out many a fast lap even for the best racers.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

danjoy the ackerman changes does not really add or loose steering it just changes the curve on where the car will turn more
like i said A block should give the most steering coming out of the corner bul will be less responsive coming in.

C will be the most responsive but will push out of corners not unless you set up the car to steer with rear via thicker diff settings.

put it this way ive seen poeple use the c setting more on 1/8 scale. and mtx3 owners usually stay with A or B ackerman. maybe
c with a really tight diff setup.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally posted by jwf_frani
danjoy the ackerman changes does not really add or loose steering it just changes the curve on where the car will turn more
like i said A block should give the most steering coming out of the corner bul will be less responsive coming in.

C will be the most responsive but will push out of corners not unless you set up the car to steer with rear via thicker diff settings.

put it this way ive seen poeple use the c setting more on 1/8 scale. and mtx3 owners usually stay with A or B ackerman. maybe
c with a really tight diff setup.
thanks for clearing that front one, can you explain the rear blocks this time.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

look at the top of the last page i allready asked the same ? and the answer is there
Old 02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default Anti Squat

would this work if you are a late braker and does it mater what type of track to
Old 02-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks afm & jwf_frani

Let me summarize : please correct me if I'm wrong.

For Steering block :

A suitable for circuits with small radius corners, slow to medium speed corners.
C suitable for circuits with big radius corners, sweeper corners, medium to fast corners.
B suitable for circuits with the above characters.

For Rear Hinge Pins Block :

A for low rear traction
B for medium rear traction
C for high rear traction

..... perhaps this also answer my car's notorious handling : little bit nervous / not on rails feeling. I'm using A steering block with A rear hinge pins block
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: steering ackerman & rear block

[

Last edited by Arushmen; 02-23-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: steering ackerman & rear block

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slotmachine
[B]On the rear blocks: A = less rear traction B=Med. traction C=Most rear traction

I donīt know.
I read this and I believe in this:

Doesn't HIGH RC = Less Roll (Because the RC point is at its highest and nearest the CG of the car) and therefore appropriate for high traction/bite conditions because we do not need added traction and need the car to be more aggressive. And LOW RC = More Roll, suited for low traction/bite conditions because we need the added weight transfer to add traction which also results in the car being a little lazy?

more roll=More traction
Less Roll=Less Traction
How is possible that "c" is better for low traction conditions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I could be wrong on this one, but I thought as you raise the roll center, you increase the amount of roll. I agree that more roll gives more traction, but I thought it was the other way around on which gives more roll...

I can say this much. The track here in Vegas has high traction and Swauger told me he normally runs the A block here. I was at Revelation a few months ago and the traction was super duper opper high and everyone was running the A block there as well.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: steering ackerman & rear block

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arushmen
[B]
Originally posted by Slotmachine
On the rear blocks: A = less rear traction B=Med. traction C=Most rear traction

I donīt know.
I read this and I believe in this:

Doesn't HIGH RC = Less Roll (Because the RC point is at its highest and nearest the CG of the car) and therefore appropriate for high traction/bite conditions because we do not need added traction and need the car to be more aggressive. And LOW RC = More Roll, suited for low traction/bite conditions because we need the added weight transfer to add traction which also results in the car being a little lazy?

more roll=More traction
Less Roll=Less Traction
How is possible that "c" is better for low traction conditions?

Thanks in advance.
You are forgetting that RC is also affected by setting of the position of camber links...read my post a couple of pages back.

AFM
Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Scott Fisher
I could be wrong on this one, but I thought as you raise the roll center, you increase the amount of roll. I agree that more roll gives more traction, but I thought it was the other way around on which gives more roll...

I can say this much. The track here in Vegas has high traction and Swauger told me he normally runs the A block here. I was at Revelation a few months ago and the traction was super duper opper high and everyone was running the A block there as well.
You guys all need to buy the XXX Main setup book. Next to a temp gun, it's the best R/C investment you will make- probably better!

It goes like this- normally the RC (roll center) is below the CG (center of gravity). How much roll (traction) you get depends on the distance between the two. The farther away the RC is from the CG the more roll and more traction you will get. If the RC is very close to the CG- your car will roll very little- just as you would expect to need on high traction set-ups with the A- blocks.

Now having said all this, I'm wondering what the 4mm, 5mm and 6mm numbers means next to the A, B and C block's on the setup sheet.

Could someone measure the distance between the centerline of the holes in the A block and the top of the chassis? I'm curious. I would measure, but I'm waiting for my stuff to be shipped back from FL. If the A block holes are 4mm above the chassis I'm really going to be confused, because that means the others are 5mm and 6mm above the chassis and "should" have less roll cause the RC would be lower in relation to the CG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.