Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and about the bag, compared to a quality piece of luggage, the bags that come in all the kits (ofna, Mugen, etc.....) are absolute junk!!!........
I love my mugen bag.... It's real handy
Old 11-14-2002, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

yes, i did look at the site, but, while i liked some of the schemes, i looked at some r/c pics of carbon bodies, and it was awesome!!

also, i love my mugen bag, but in comparison to these new bags by High Sierra, they dont hold there own

kinda like how no touring car will hold its own when racing an MTX-3
Old 11-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

kinda like how no touring car will hold its own when racing an MTX-3
Won't argue with that.....
Old 11-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default set ups and bateries

ok then who has run it on rubber and what reciever pack are you useing?
what capacity etc?
Old 11-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by JordanC
You shouldn't, if you change your pinion from a 17t to a 16t for aguments sake, you would lose top end, but gain acceleration. in regards to the spurs, and small amount of fine adjustment is a good thing. If you can change spurs to gain a small amount of acceleration, or top end, great. Perhaps you need a slightly different load to get an extra 10sec run time, then that spur is not such a waste of time. Saying that there's no point is like saying you may as well not change shock oil unless you go from 20wt, to 60wt. These cars are all about fine tuning!
jordanc, I agree with the fine tuning thing with regards to changing spurs. In any case, it's a 1/10 scale TC we're discussing about so anything small will be amplified 10 times so to speak...

However, the point I was trying to bring up is that Robbie posted that piece of info as if that made a hell a difference on the top end speed.

The Mugen drivers at the Nats and World meet in Ohio all agreed that they need MORE gearing on the straights.

I read somewhere that the MTX-2 only reached their top end half way on the back straight while other cars were zooming pass by... In that case, you definitely need more gearing change on the PINION than just say a ONE TOOTH SPUR change would be sufficient for added speed...

And to the point you mentioned about fine tuning the gears, any racer would know that with different pinion and spur combo, you can still get the same acceleration and top end speed (to which ME-Student would also point that out).

For example, you could use a 17T pinion on a 47T spur and still get roughtly about the same ratio as you would get using a 16T pinion on a 44T spur...
Old 11-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Apparently Mugen did not address the gearing issue. I was told by someone "in the know" that Mugen feels their gearing is more than adequate for the MAJORITY of tracks run on, especially in the European market. They did not feel it necessary to put extra cost toward developing a different set of "big track" gears. However, it is my understanding there is atleast one aftermarket company (name with-held until it hits the market) that is in the process of designing big gears for the big tracks. Hopefully it will be available soon.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,

I'm just waiting for somebody to ejaculate over this gearing issue.

Have you ever considered that there might be other design solution to how you can change gearing?

How about more room to move the engine away from the spur gears, so you can use taller pinions?

How about the fact that when you go down one tooth on the spur, that you can go up two teeth on the pinion?

On my MTX2, I have taken a little bit of my forward engine mount and a little bit of the Kawahara mid bearing block. In addition I have elongated the engine srew holes slightly.
With these mods I can easely run up to 20 teeth on first and 24 on second gear.

I never had to use it though, because I never raced on a track as huge as Hamilton.

We race on a good size 1/8th scale track and the stock gearing was always good enough.

How many of you are going to race in Hamilton on a weekly basis?

Just give it a rest.
It's almost like you HAVE to find something that you don't like about this car BEFORE you have even seen it in person.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

I'm just waiting for somebody to ejaculate over this gearing issue.

AHHHHHH MY VIRGIN EARS!!!!
Old 11-14-2002, 04:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by stefan
Just give it a rest.
It's almost like you HAVE to find something that you don't like about this car BEFORE you have even seen it in person.
Oh no, Stefan, don't take it the wrong way... I don't have any hidden agendas. Doesn't mean I started the Impulse thread on rctech and therefore I am a Mugen hater... In fact if I had the money and track to play 1/8 scale, I'll go with the MRX-3 solution. A no brainer choice. Just go and have a look at the discussion on the Impulse thread about the MTX-3... It's true I have not seen it in person. The opinions and reasonings I have are as straight as it can get.

I just want to point out if Robbie doesn't have any good reasons to back up why Mugen does not have any "sound" solution the gearing issue, then just leave it as it is... I don't like it when people take it as it is just because Mugen says so. The Truth Is Out There (TM) and people here are entitled to know if indeed what is said is true and bull. That's what the forum is for. The truth hurts I know, just like the truth that Serpent parts are DAMN expensive and that the Serpent Veteq is a total... <BLEEP>.

With regards to huge long tracks, some people I know do run on them on a weekly basis
Old 11-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Initial,

my post was not personally addressed to you but to all (guys!)

No matter where you go, everybody is raving about the gearing of the MTX3.

I believe you that you know people that race on huge tracks, but how many are those?

Lets say there are 50 Mugen racers in Hamilton, what percentage do you think that make s of all kits Mugen will produce?

0.000x%?

They are catering to a global market with this car and I have NEVER heard anybody talk about a gearing issue with the MTX2 until this one time event in Ohio.

Maybe they should design an "Mugen MTX3 OHIO SPEC SUPERFAST BACKSTRETCH EDITION". (do not use on regular tracks or you might never reach second gear)
Old 11-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Nytrochaos,

Virgin Ears?

Then it's way past your bed time, good night!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Maybe they should design an "Mugen MTX3 OHIO SPEC SUPERFAST BACKSTRETCH EDITION". (do not use on regular tracks or you might never reach second gear)

Old 11-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

wow stefan, how completely unecessary

stefan -
Virgin Ears?

Then it's way past your bed time, good night
Old 11-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

i don't believe there is a gearing issue on the MTX-3 either..

but i think that MTX-3 has better gearing than MTX-2 because it allows 2-6teeth split between 1st and 2nd gear..
Old 11-14-2002, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ME-student
i don't believe there is a gearing issue on the MTX-3 either..

but i think that MTX-3 has better gearing than MTX-2 because it allows 2-6teeth split between 1st and 2nd gear..
ME- has the car, he can tell ! I think the rest of you need to wait and see and confirm yourself on the gearing issue. talk is cheap.

besides, i notice that the car can accept larger pinion size as the chassis allow the engine mount move front/backward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.