New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

no, it was just the same. The problem is the engine. its SO hard to turn
Old 06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would contact HPI, they are great with their customer support, I bought one of the first batches of Pro3's that had the chassis mold problem, not only did they send me the new chassis but enough parts that I have bought little for the car and have had it for 3 years....Give them a call, they are fantastic, you have put in a valiant effort and should be made whole again...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Here's another suggestion that I didn't see anyone offer

You said it was very hard to turnover by hand, right?? Or haven't you tried that?? If not, try that before doing anything else I have listed here

Well if it is, loosen the glow plus about 1/4 turn - this will release some pressure on the internals...Try starting the engine again...If it starts, let it idle a little bit, but then tighten the glow plug back up

What happens is the tolerance is soo small for these motors, you don't get enough "free" movement inside with a glow plug fully tightened - I had an OS engine that did this also, so its not something uncommon - BUT once the engine heats up (thus the break-in period) the parts will move around alittle better...

YOu may have to do this trick a couple of times before you can start the thing with the glow plug fully tightened...

Another this is you might want to try a new plug - at this stage and this many attempts to start, the current plug is probably close to being toast...I'd get a MC-59 plug (good general purpose plug) and go from there

But try loosen the glow plug before you throw the thing into the street
Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

sorry, iv tried that one too. it was suggested on the dvd that came with it. it did make it easier to turn, but alas no start. I have a new plug already i replaced it yesterday for a new one, still nothing.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

did you try new gas?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

From what hes saying hes tried everything new. I think all this money being wasted should be used on another engine or....contact hpi and they will most likely replace it for free.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

On my buds evo I had to lean both needles about 1/4 of a turn should be good. Also turn up your idle to about 1/4 throttle.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If u want to u can take the motor apart and put after run oil on it and make sure that the pison and sleve are not scraping/ or just send it back i had the same thing happen to me on my rtr tc3 a few years ago
Old 06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

I have tried every needle combination possible on this car now. It is definately not the settings. I'm afraid im not prepared to spend any more money on this car now.

RIP RTR3

RTR my arse
Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Either send it to me for free . Or call hpi they'll give you a replacement for sure.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

All I keep hearing is I tried everything, its going in the bin, dont want to spend more money....lol.

Heres one last shot jim.

CALL HPI, THEY WILL SEND YOU A NEW MOTOR FREE!!!!!!!!

Ok lets hope he can read that....otherwise, please send it to me. Ill have that sucker working in 10 minutes. I dont care whats wrong with it, ill post a video of it as well and let you know the problem.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 06-18-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you still have a question, or need technical assistance, please call our customer service department. U.S. and Canada only.
1-949-753-1099
Hours of operation are as follows:
Monday - 7:30am to 4:45pm
Tuesday-Friday 7:30 to 5:15
Please note that HPI has every other Friday and most U.S Federal holidays off. Click here for a current work schedule.

http://hpiracing.com/

Before you bin it or send it to me Please call hpi they will gladly exchange anything for you. Alot of people with r40s were missing the 2 speed oneway bearing and they gladly sent out now ones.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Well, thanks for all your generous help

Anyway, i took it to a shop today, and they said it will be £25 an HOUR to just look at it. No chance.

THe ebay seller has now changed, and said he will have it picked up for free. Fix it, or replace it, and send it back. Shouldnt be a problem now.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jimhaddon
Well, thanks for all your generous help

Anyway, i took it to a shop today, and they said it will be £25 an HOUR to just look at it. No chance.

THe ebay seller has now changed, and said he will have it picked up for free. Fix it, or replace it, and send it back. Shouldnt be a problem now.
Yeah we told you not to take it to the shop anymore and you clearly said you didnt want to spend money. So I dont know why you did that.

Guess your just beyond help there jim. Also great deal on the ebay thing. If it goes bad again. There is always hpi, I havent the clue why you havent contacted them yet anyway.

But good luck on the next vehicle. Maybe read up on an article or two at http://rcnitro.com - They have lots of stuff on starting the car.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That does sound extremely odd. If the car has air, fuel and fire, it should start, at least a little. To not turn over at all is very strange. Now it's looking at outrageous stuff. I'd take the engine apart (no harm there, since it's not atarting anyway) and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. Maybe even flush outthe carb, too. On an outside change, I'd also make sure the engine is not turning over backwards. While with the rotostart being on from the factory this should be impossible, at this point it's time to start looking at impossible things.

I would also see if anyone in the area has a starter box they can put the car on. It will spin the flywheel directly and give a lot more oomph to turning the engine over. I definately wouldn't chuck the car, at least not yet. Worst case senario is get anther engine, which you would probably do sooner rather than later anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.