Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

Hi, i wonder if you can help me out here.

I've just purchased a new nito car, and as much as i have tried, it just will not start. A dvd came with the car, and i have followed everything that it said, but still no closer to a solution.

The car is meant to start using the ROTO start that came with it. I have tested the Glow-Plug and it glows orange just like it should. The roto start is fully charged, and the engine is not flooded. Everytime i try, the engine floods again, and has to be de-flooded.

I put the glow start in, use the roto-start, but nothing happens. The engine just turns over using the rotostart but not on its own power. It seems very difficult to turn, which usually means flooding, but it cant be. I have tried everything to de-flood it, and different amounts of nitro and all. Nothing will work. If i cant get this working soon, looks like its heading for the bin

Would be great if anyone has any help

thanks a lot
James

I have included a video of the car not starting. I am aware that the roto start should only be used in short bursts now, but wasnt at the time of the video. Either way, it still does not start.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
start.zip (179.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Welcome to the forum!

Im sure this will work perfectly for you, as it seems to be the main problem with most people I come across new in the hobby that are trying to start up there first car.

Take your high speed needle and turn it clockwise 1/8th of a turn.

Get a brand new battery for the glow-starter. Even if its glowing...dont worry just trust me.

Turn the car over towards the exhaust side and make sure all the oil comes out of it. There will probably be a bunch of oil due to you passing a ton of fuel. Flooded exhaust chambers will also cause trouble with starting. Run the roto start with the car tilted and the fuel line pinched to help get some extra oil out.

Then when your starting if that new battery and slightly leaner setting doesnt work. Start pinching the fuel line. Keep doing it more and more and more and letting off and letting off till you have to hold it for awhile.

If it hasnt started by now....it will once you hold it down for awhile. Doing this all while the roto is trying to start the car.

Then listen for a change in the motors sound it should clear out the fuel....and then let go of the fuel line real quick....it should start.....then start pulse pinching the line....on off on off on off.

Then start jabbing the throttle a little and turn the car to the exhaust side again and give a few throttle presses.

Then set it back down and start your break-in process, if it hasnt been done already. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Oh and BTW after about 15minutes of trying to start a car with a C cell glow-starter. Its pretty much toast. At least for the next 15-20 minutes. Sucking that power for that long makes it not strong enough to really power things. After a little it will gain back some charge.

But they are pretty much pointless after that. With cars that are hard to start I switch over to the hd glow-starters that hook up to the hobbico latern type battery with 1.5V and those things will give you the hotest glow for hours and hours.

But once you get past this hard part and get the car tuned. Having a hd isnt neccessary.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks very much for your very fast reply. I think this may be the problem too!

The roto start has so much trouble trying to turn the engine. In the DVD, it looks so easy!

I'll give this a try right now...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jimhaddon
Thanks very much for your very fast reply. I think this may be the problem too!

The roto start has so much trouble trying to turn the engine. In the DVD, it looks so easy!

I'll give this a try right now...
The roto start needs a charge up too, just saw the video. But it will be hard to start with lots of fuel in the chamber and it being brand new....the piston and chamber are going to be very tight with each other....it will loosen up after break-in.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks

I just tried it, but nothing. In the video, the roto is at full charge, its just so difficult to turn. I emptied the exhaust, some yellow stuff came out of it, but still, its really difficult to turn, and will not start. I think this may have to be binned
Old 06-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Did you turn the needle clockwise and try all the things I suggested. Did you try a new glow-plug battery?

Also remember if its not starting. Trying over and over with the same stuff isnt going to magically work one time.

You need to change stuff. Get a new glow-plug battery. Trust me on this one.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

I have changed the glow plug battery, the glow plug, and the roto start battery. I have tried turning the needle 1/8 over, and in every position i can think of. I pinched the fuel pipe like you said, but still nothing. What am i doing wrong?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

somthing else that will help with a new engine is to heat it up with a blow dryer.. this will help keep the rotostart from having to work so hard.

and if you have been trying to start the engine for a while and then let it sit for however long, you need to run some after run oil through it. you can also use wd-40. I'm sure the video showed how to do that as well.

I dont know what engine you have but my hpi nitro star .12 would not start for the first time until I leaned out the low speed needle as well. the factory breakin settings are wayyyyy rich and it may not start with them..
Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jimhaddon
I have changed the glow plug battery, the glow plug, and the roto start battery. I have tried turning the needle 1/8 over, and in every position i can think of. I pinched the fuel pipe like you said, but still nothing. What am i doing wrong?
If you have turned it back and forth many times, its a good idea to reset that needle back to the factory setting.. then try what I mentioned above..
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

When was the last time you changed the glow plug battery , glow plug and etc.

I have a feeling your not trying things faithfully and your kinda doing this here and that there. You need to run that whole instruction sheet I typed up.

If you dont do one thing on there correctly it probably wont start.

Your engine is flooded majorily and thats also causing problems. Make sure there is no oil in the pipe. No fuel in the engine.

Dump the fuel thats in the car out and go pour in some new stuff. Fresh from the bottle, not from your fuel filling bottle.

Next after you do all that. You can also try loosening the glow-plug a little then once it starts tighten it up and start break-in.

Also yeah heating it up with a hair dryer will help. Try that right before starting it.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I really do appreciate your help guys, but i have tried all of this. Last night, i emptied the fuel tank, pulled out the glow plug, and left the car to drain out overnight. This mornin i come to try again. I heat it up with a blow dryer as much as i can, till it is really warm. THe shaft is just as hard to turn and will not start.

Everything you have told me so far i have tried, and tried properly. Not just quick try then try something else. I try it, and then a combination of the different things, but each time, not one spark from the engine
Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Did you pinch and hold down the fuel line while starting. Did you just put in a brand new glow plug battery???

Ill say this again. Go get a brand new glow-plug battery. And put it in your glow starter right before doing this. Dont grab what you think is a new one. Make sure its brand new.

Then goto your needles and reset them to factory reccomended settings.

Also making sure your carb is open the correct amount at idle.

Dump the extra oil and fuel from the car....again. Not just last night. You cant let fuel even sit in the car. Once you stop trying to start it. Dump all the fuel you took out of the bottle. Do not place it back in.

Do the heating with the hair dryer.

Plug the glow plug in.

Prime the engine and make the fuel get up to the carb and just a little into it.

Then place your brand new and never used before battery and glow-plug starter on.

And turn it over. There is no way that thing wont start. If you keep saying oh yeah I did this last night , last week. Thats no good. You must do all things right now, all brand new. Fresh fuel and so on...
Old 06-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, i have a BRAND NEW GLOW PLUG AND BATTERY NOW

I will print this page out, and do what you said. Be back soon....
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, i just tried everything you typed there, in order, and properly. Nothing has changed

This one is going back to the shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.