Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

might be a defective engine or sumthing else that came broken.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Least you know it wasnt you now. Also all the tips you got im sure once the working motor comes in or whatever youll be a pro.

But that is weird. One thing from the video I noticed and I guess you wouldnt say I noticed anything. But it just didnt sound like it would ever start. Like it was missing something.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

well, they could not start it. I've had it back, and through the post today, i've recieved a brand new batch of tornado fuel, brand new glow plug and battery. I've put them all in and guess what? Nothing at all. Still the same, just will not start.

This is binned...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh yeah I wouldnt have even wasted money on that stuff, if the shop couldnt fix it....then you most likely wont...unless they are idiots.

You should try contacting HPI now:

http://www.hpiracing.com
http://www.hpi-europe.com

Let them know of the situation. You might just get a brand new motor free. Or something will come of it with them im sure.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

im not really persuaded by the shop, they didnt really seem to know what they were doing.

ANyway, i ordered the stuff 2 weeks ago, before i knew about this problem. THe thing is, i bought this thing off ebay. It was brand new and still sealed in the box, so i'v contacted the seller, and i dont think hes willing to take it back. Even if he does, i have to pay £20 to send it back. This may as well just go straight in the bin before i waste any more money on this lump of crap.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

ok, im goin to give this one more chance then its in the bin. I still think it is the settings. The thing is, i think they were WAY out to begin with, and they certainly are now. Can anyone give me any advice to the settings i need for a t-15 engine for the high and idle screws. I need to know exactly where they should be though, not turn the right 1/8 or whatever. HOw far should they be out? If i turn them all the way till they wont go any more, how many times do i need to turn them back to get themin the right place?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

I just watched the vid.. did I not see it or were you trying to start it without an air filter attached?

from the vid it sounded to me like the idle screw was closed all the way.

my hot bodies .26 was a major pain during break in and in the beginning the only way I could get it started was to have it sit on a box so as to not go anywhere when it started.. have the transmitter and rx turned off, open the throttle slightly by turning the servo and it will stay open.. then try starting it.. once started if its running too high of rpms you will need to adjust the throttle by the servo..

if that doesnt do anything then it might be time to take the motor out and do some internal inspecting.. you dont have to take it completely apart, just take the head and back plate off.. make sure there is not debris of any kind and that the piston is moving up and down smoothly in the chamber.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

yes, i did try and start it with the air filter off, only that time tho. its on now, but makes no difference. iv moved the idle screw in adn out as far as possible
it will not start.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

factory settings..
they should both be flush with their housing..

these settings are probably on the very rich side..

you will have to look into the carb to adjust the idle screw.. there should be between 1 and 2 mm of an opening with the throttle fully closed.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

iv followed the DVD that came with it to try and set it back to factory settings, but they dont work either so
Old 06-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Check HPI's website for the instructions. Page 4 tells you that the low and high speed needles should be flush with the casing. Here is the link
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

In the meanwhile, call up HPI support and explain the problem to them.

My only other thought is that somthing might be wrong with your rotostart unit. When I tried to view your video, I only got the audio portion. It sounded too slow. Almost like a real car engine trying to start. It should spin faster then that.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

try starting it as I said above.. with it on a box and the throttle about 1/4 of the way open..
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, i just tried following HPI's settings. No change. Tried it on box with 1/4 open, 1/2 open and full. Nothing.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

i think its pretty much obvious this is dead now. Nothing will work. I have tried absolutely everything. I've put it back in the box while i cool down, but i will probably just bin it. Its not worth sendin anywhere to get repaired im not payin more money on it.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

did the rotostart turn the motor over faster than in the vid with a new battery?

because as rapid boy mentioned, it should be turning much faster than it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.