Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by viperrj
The demise of the sport is due to one thing and one thing only. The lack of support for tracks from the manufacturers!!

They are the ones that will benefit from the building of tracks and yet they do little or nothing to help people like me who want to build a track. All we ask is a bit of advice and a pile of money!! LOL

Cheers

I tend to want to agree with you a little, for in my backyard we have one of the leaders in the RC world, at the local scene we haven't seen the representative forces. I do understand that everyone has a busy schedule, and that competition in the races has gotten strict, so it may tend to be a focal point, but that competition starts LOCALLY. It does take a whole lot to run a track. Please Help!
I forgot to separate the initial quote!!!!!!!!! The demise of the sport is due to one thing and one thing only. The lack of support for tracks from the manufacturers!!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by performula
Exactly. Touring cars were the entry level for the wanna be 8th scale racers. The lure to nitro.

The Serpent Impulse with a 1hp NovaMega engine and pipe was $359. Now that same combo is nearly double that. I can understand inflation over the years and technology, but jeez 100% increase in roughly 4-5 years gets intense.
You are correct, one major turn-off may very well be the increease in costs of goods, however, I think that most of us that are "experienced" have a responsibility to the rookies and the sport to point them in the right direction. It is our responsibility to educate them on the fact that driving experience cannot be bought but learned. Quite frequently rookie will ask another driver with more experience for advise and the advise is usually geared towards "too much power" that is going to run that rookie $400 or more. They must be made aware that speed on the track is 90% driving and 10% power. The car that looks the fastest on the track is most probably not the car with the fastest motor!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Racing cost

Originally posted by SRAD
If all those problems were fixed.....would the cost of racing be a factor? Look at what has happened to the cost of nitro sedans much less 1/8! The price of a Nova Rossi is unreal. I haven't bought a Nova Rossi since I bought my RB C4 back in 2002. I have been running OS (VZ-R) in 1/8 and still make the A Main at club races. But that's me. I think there are other problems besides the what else is being discussed. Am I wrong?
I don't think there is a fix for the Price problem, it seems like the gas problem, it skyrockets $1.75 more in 2 years, drops $.25 over 2mo's and we breath a sigh of relief, now it's affordable. The fact is the cost of the Sedan class has not really rissen that signifigantly, a JP mod ($379) 4 years ago was too expensive and ($429) today it is still too expensive, however, we continue to -feed the need for speed-. Serpent has a beautiful compromise $355 pipe and motor known the Mega ZX-12 and this motor is no slouch. My Rody has a hard time pulling away from it on the same 710 chassis. That's saying a whole lot.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Grasshopperr
I know a guy that will make me a commerciall and put it on TV for $250 Just show Uriah doing one lap and see how many people ivestigate the hobby.
Will he make one for me in So Flo.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

The problem is not confined to ATL it happens here in So. Flo. also.
There is no quick fix and I hope to find a solution soon, keep yoou guys posted.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

This thread is too depressing! I was a member of Dixie Racing Club in the late 90's and went overseas for 6 years and I am now about to return to Atlanta. I was expecting to get back into racing, as I am a real R/C car nut! I founded and ran my own club here in Egypt and we now have a thriving sport despite the total lack of hobby shops etc.

I think the main problem is that too many people don't want to invest any effort into making the club's work. Too often it all falls on one or two people to do all the work and make all the prep. Drivers just want to show up, work on thier cars, race and go home when they feel like it.

I really hope that there is a functioning club somewhere in Atlanta when I get back this summer!
Anyone with any info please contact me.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default onroad racing dead

Go Karting had similar problems years ago and their solution was spec class racing. Everyone ran the same tire ,same engine,same fuel and a specified intake restrictor.This evolved into their Yamaha class and is one of the most successful classes.If you can tell a rookie exactly what engine and tire combination and maybe even what chassis to run it eliminates a lot of confusion with the additional benifits of making it much easier to gain manufacturer and hobby shop support as there inventory requirements are minimized.It also makes it much easier to give technical advise as everyone runs a very similar combination
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 AM
Tech Initiate

This is true, here, our local track has a tendancy for having two or three guys that seem to always get stuck doing all the work and no-one seems to mind until something doesn't go to the liking of someone else and then they complain, not the ones doing the work. It becomes a burden to the race director, who I might add doesn't mind dealing with the complaints. I think in order to have a thriving track that everyone needs to pay a little attention to the new guy that can't seem to get his car around the track. Please remember the frustrations that we all went through when we first started out. I myself ran into the same situation when I first started out and didn't have a clue. No-one voluntered any info. In turn, with the LUXURY of our track being open 24/7 I would leave work after putting in a full 12hrs and then spend another 5-7hrs at the track, sometimes till 4 in the AM, trying to learn everything that the track would teach me. Not everyone has that freedom of time. So help the Rookie out a little, he may become your biggest competitor and force you to become even better yourself, but more importantly you might not find yourself on race day in an A main by yourself.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

racegypt....e mail me directly [email protected] We can use the help of someone with your experience. Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone organized night races????
Old 05-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem is lighting, only a parking lot can provide that because that can be expensive.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TexasPete
Has anyone organized night races????
we had organized night races at one of my home track. its a permanent track for 1/10 electric and nitro. its cool racing at night cuz the cars look faster under the lights they did it because it would be so hot during the day. qualifiers would start between 5-6pm and the mains would be at night
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Racing is dead in Atlanta

I have been RC car racing for over 20 years in Atlanta. Back when we had a club (Dixie Racing Club) and we were racing in a very high traffic high visibility area we had 80 members members in the club and averaged 70 racers per race. We would have 35 1/8 scale cars show up and about the same # of touring cars. It was great!

In order to kick start on-road racing in Atlanta, we have decided to start an on-road series at Sugar Bowl. We will race on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. There will be 2 - 9 race series (first 1/2 and 2nd 1/2) with the best 6 races counting in each series towards the championship. We will have an overall champion also by taking the best 12 finishes of 18 races.

Talk to your friends and tell them to come out and join in the Series and lets get on-road nitro racing going in Atlanta again.

Lee Muse
Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Winner's Circle

3 questions: When does it start, how much will it be to race, and how do I find directions to the track?

One more question. Will there be a novice class?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Racing is dead in Atlanta

Originally posted by Winner's Circle
I have been RC car racing for over 20 years in Atlanta. Back when we had a club (Dixie Racing Club) and we were racing in a very high traffic high visibility area we had 80 members members in the club and averaged 70 racers per race. We would have 35 1/8 scale cars show up and about the same # of touring cars. It was great!

In order to kick start on-road racing in Atlanta, we have decided to start an on-road series at Sugar Bowl. We will race on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. There will be 2 - 9 race series (first 1/2 and 2nd 1/2) with the best 6 races counting in each series towards the championship. We will have an overall champion also by taking the best 12 finishes of 18 races.

Talk to your friends and tell them to come out and join in the Series and lets get on-road nitro racing going in Atlanta again.

Lee Muse

What's up Lee!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.