Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TexasPete
Grinder,

Im in Atlanta and Im just getting into racing. Is ToysForBoys one of the raceways you are referring to that will be closing soon. Me and a buddy of mine were planning on trying to race up there this Saturday.

Also, one reason could be, despite the amount of money you have to put into your ride to make it competitive, the $20 to $25 fee to race every week could be a bit of a deterent as well. I imagine its either much cheaper or free to race at these parking lots although I wouldnt know for sure.
yeah the last weekend of racing is this weekend...

check out prices for a lap counting system w/ transponders...explains why they charge 15.00 to race(20.00 w/o personal transponder)

check out prices on smooth asphalt, rent, electricity, labor, basic maintenance and 15.00 bucks becomes a bargain.

parking lot races usually charge 5-10 bucks...more if they have amb system for lapcounting
Old 05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hugh Janus,

This is the last weekend at TFBRaceways? I was planning on entering for the first time this weekend, but if they arent gonna be there I may hold off for a sec. I was gonna get dusted anyway, but I thought the experience would be good.

I wasnt complaining about the costs at all, I was just saying that money adds up quickly and could be the reason the parking lot racing has picked up. I dont have a wife to answer to or a child to feed so as long as I enjoy the hobby Ill probably keep coughing up the money. Many others are not in my boat and this is an expensive hobby.

Me and a buddy of mine have been looking into land closer in the city to try and start a hobby shop/raceway of our own, so I do have a pretty good idea of the amount of overhead and capital cost these type ventures require. This thread has given me reason to pause.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its the last race at the old facility....hes just moving to a new spot and putting up another track....so still come out and race man...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:17 PM
TAW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This was posted by Fernando (the current owner) a few hours ago on his site.

okay good new's TFB RACEWAY is tentively sold negotiation's are in process..

normal racing schedule will continue weekly...

stay tuned for more info.

fernando
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thats good news.....
Old 05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

ChadRacing,

If i can get a little more practice in this week then I guess Ill make it out for the farewell races. Is the new owner going to maintain the tracks, or are they just buying the land to build another Wal-Mart????
Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

if its the person i think it might be then yes they will maintain the tracks i will be there weds for practice also friday i will be the only one with an xray
Old 05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Ill be out wednesday or thursday. Ill be running the shell in my avitar, and Ill probably be the one going real slow and crashing everytime I decide to open up on the gas!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

I think the main problem is the lack of support in promoting the hobby by the main distributor of which country. I think there is not enough support given to hobby shop owner.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Red face ROAD RACING

YEAH ROAD RACING IS ALSO DEAD IN LV
Old 05-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

I MUST NOW GO BETWEEN LV & cali 2 race
Old 05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Uriah
maybe the issue is that the guys that stopped got tired of getting their butts kicked weekend and weekout by the same five guys? maybe you guys should have considered splitting your sedan classes and 1/8th classes. Revelation Raceway does this and their turnouts do well. Amature, Novice and Pro. This gives guys with lesser driving skills a chance to compete on a level with those of similar driving skills. It polices itself as the guys who dont belong in a lower class get dogged to move up. It also gives people who don't want to spend mega bucks to compete a class to race in and be competitive. If people aren't having fun they move on simple as that. Also we as racers need to watch out for becoming clickish, If you consider yourself a seasoned racer you need to be spending 30 minutes to an hour helping somone who is new and struggling at each race you go to. There is always time you just have to make a concious effort to do it. We all need to make a concious effort to meet the racer you don't know and at least introduce yourself. (it does make a difference) If the new or novice guys feel that they belong they will keep comming back. RC car racing is as much a social activity as it is a competitive activity. when the social aspect dies the racing dies. Buickering amongst racers is another thing that will kill a group of racers in the blink of an eye as its easy to forget racing is supposed to be fun. (then theirs the dreaded cocky arrogant peckerwood who's life revolves around telling the world how bad azz he is and just makes the whole day miserable, everybody knows one. You guys, need to get a life!!! or a girlfriend or a dog who wants to listen to that stuff cuz the rest of the world that does not struggle with insecurity issues don't give a flyin rip when the days over, contrary to your popular belief!! These types need to do us all a favor and shut up and race their car. if their that good the rest of the world will tell them without them having to tell us. This is a generic comment directed at no one but it is a valid point) The minute an activity becomes unfun its over (in the words of Harry Gant "Stick a Fork in It") you also need to consider setting up a travel series for the dedicated hardcore guys like we have up north. Rolling the same tracks over and over can get really old.

I know our Midwest Series brings no less than 80 and up to 115 racers to each event X 6 races over the season and then you have the club racing that goes on at at least 4 tracks in our series and the Great Lakes Challenge. Racing up north is definatly not dead and I expect this year to be no different. Its all how you handle it. We all need to ask ourselves if race as a cohesive group (where every racer and the fact that they stick is important) or as an individual. if the answer is individual then there is your issue. we also need to ask ourselves if we just show up race and leave or do we contribute in some way even if we are not the track owner or part of the host club. That is another major issue.
My 2 cents.

Last edited by Motorman; 05-09-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Motorman
Uriah
maybe the issue is that the guys that stopped got tired of getting their buts kicked weekend and weekout by the same five guys? maybe you guys should have considered splitting your sedan classes and 1/8th classes. Revelation Raceway does this and their turnouts do well. Amature, Novice and Pro. This gives guys with lesser driving skills a chance to compete on a level with those of similar driving skills. It polices itself as the guys who dont belong in a lower class get dogged to move up. It also gives people who don't want to spend mega bucks to compete a class to race in and be competitive. If people aren't having fun they move on simple as that. Also we as racers need to watch out for becoming clickish, If you consider yourself a seasoned racer you need to be spending 30 minutes to an hour helping somone who is new and struggling at each race you go to. There is always time you just have to make a concious effort to do it. We all need to make a concious effort to meet the racer you don't know and at least introduce yourself. (it does make a difference) If the new or novice guys feel that they belong they will keep comming back. RC car racing is as much a social activity as it is a competitive activity. when the social aspect dies the racing dies. Buickering amongst racers is another thing that will kill a group of racers in the blink of an eye as its easy to forget racing is supposed to be fun. The minute an activity becomes unfun its over (in the words of Harry Gant "Stick a Fork in It") you also need to consider setting up a travel series for the dedicated hardcore guys like we have up north. Rolling the same tracks over and over can get really old.
My 2 cents.
I was going to mention this earlier. Yes, the click and newbie comments are going to filter out potential racers. And yes the cocky arrogant guy will kill a crowd. Instead if making fun of the kid that can't get is car to hook up, maybe recommend something to him/her or take a look.

I went to TFB three weekends ago and this poor kid kept on getting called a hack and a few racers were laughing at him. Not cool. If I knew what I was doing I would have hopped over the fence and helped him.

It comes on the back end too, new racers should try to acquaint themselves. I am a quiet dude, but I usually meet or greet everyone and try run out when someone wrecks while the're on the stand.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

new racers suffer enough embarasment all on their own. those who contribute to their embarasment in an unconstructive way are just part of the problem. these new racers are spinning like a top just to get around the track and get someone to actually help them out.

Last edited by Motorman; 05-09-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Motorman
new racers suffer enough embassesment all on their own. those who contribute to their embassasment in an unconstructive way are just part of the problem. these new racers are spinning like a top just to get around the track and get someone to actually help them out.
Believe me I know. No one laughed at me yesterday (or didn't hear them ), but every ten seconds you'd hear a "smack" and me screaming on the stand. I was definately embarassed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.