Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Head north out of Atlanta on I 85, go towards Gainsville on I 985, get off at the 1st exit (GA Hwy 20) , turn left. Follow GA St Hwy 20 north until the road goes to a 2 lane. Then after the 2nd traffic light look on the left, it's just over the hill past the Circle K.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

theRED5,

Thanks for the directions! I had no clue where it was at.

Still wondering when it will start, how much, and what classes (specifically will there be a novice class).
Old 05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It will start this Sunday. The classes I saw there was novice and modified/expert touring and 1/8 scale.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

$15 dollars to race and It depends on how many people sighn Up in novice (Usually not enough to have a class) I have only Been racing A year and a half but I race in masters Just let eveyone know what your car looks like and ask them to watch out for you. It dosen't take long to get good in RC I think RC is more mental than Skill. When I first started My problem was That if I heard someone hit the wall I would look and the next thing I know I am in the wall too, So just try to keep your eye on your car the whole time. I will be at the sugar bowl on the Twenty-Second because that is my 14TH birthday good luck and hope to see you there.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

performula and Grasshopperr,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to make it out this sunday or next, but I should be able to get there in 3 weeks for the second round! Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

No problem TexasPete and I will always have a bottle of your hot sauce LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, you should prolly get there in the morning for practice, we try to start around noon, the races , 3 heats and a main are $15, you want to bring a table and chairs, power cord if you need it, power hook ups are there, shade is naturally supplied, via trees, although most bring a canopy too.

Hope to see everyone there, any Sunday you can.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Nitro on racing is dead in Atlanta

I just checked the weather forecast for 5/22/05 and it looks GOOD for our first series race. Be sure to spread the word because we want a really good turn-out for Race #1.

Points will be awarded for 1) finishing position, 2) # of laps turned, and 3) TQ bonus. Finishing points will awarded based on 100 for first, 97 for second, etc. with 3 points separating each position. In addition, you will get one point for each lap you turn in the main event so it is important to be there at the beginning, middle and end of the race to maximize your points. TQ in each class will get a bonus of 3 additional points.

This will be a 9 race series with your 6 best points races counting. I think it will be a lot of fun and hopefully it will get everyone to the Sugar Bowl on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. In the event of rain we will race the next weekend.

Contact me if you have any suggestion for how we can get more people involved in on road nitro racing in Atlanta.

Lee Muse
Old 05-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Sorry but no onroad racing this Sunday at Sugarbowl! I'm down in sunny Miami for the week and though I've ask many times for someone to learn to run races in my absense, no one has! The track should be opened for practice. It'll help alot if one or two will bring their leaf blowers and yes, there is power all around the track if you have an electic blower!
Old 05-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

i hear you bob same problem all the time ,they want to get their ,race and then go home ,same problem every where .if fernando is away for a race we have the same problem ,a few guys will help out and the rest will just wait till the track is done anyway have fun in florida speak to you soon
Old 05-15-2005, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

If it stops raining say by 12-1pm, will someone be there to open the track today? Or just call it a day?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Almost every racer that showed up at the Bowl never helped with a thing. Bob did almost everything. Of course there was the occasional helper, but for the most part it was terrible. Show up for a race minutes before it started. Make the start of the race an hour late. Not ready for the next heat. The list goes on and on. It is a shame that the track was sold. I hope that Fernando's does well. This is your chance guys to do your part in keeping a track open. You don't need a club, just show up to race and have fun. I don't have answers, just an opion on what I saw in my limited time there.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

I wonder if I should head out there, now?

It's 1:30 and stopped raining, looks about 3/4 dry outside.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Well I went out today and two racers were at the track. It rained while we were there (hard too), but we sqee-geed (sp?) and still had a blast.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

I hope you guys get it sorted out. Quality tracks are what keep this hobby fun and it is sad to lose them.

I am in a similar situation but different location (Japan). last year a new track opened 35 minutes from my place. Great track and small but adequate store. I was a total onroad novice with only offroad MT experience. I could speak very little japanese but all the guys (and I mean every last person at the track) tried their best to help me and get me up to speed. I would have quit after the first time out had it not been for the guys at the track that took time to explain and help me with my car.

Also that first race entry is often the hardest. How many guys do you know that show up and have a blast practicing but have never entered a race? I know lots. having encouragement can make that first one easier and keep people interested.

My other track just closed this weekend. They lost their manager and had noone to fill the position. I cant get an answer if it is permanent or just until they find another guy but it is a big loss. While the track isnt the greatest it is a very technical permanent track and I learn something each time I go. They had a huge store carrying every part you could want for most cars with an indoor pit area that could seat 50 guys in a pinch. Maybe the overhead caught up?

I can run with the leaders at the tracks now and win a few here and there, but at first I wouldnt go out on the track at the same time as them because they were too good and I was afraid of making mistakes and maybe damaging their rides. A novice class is a must to keep the first timer. I would never have gone back if I was forced into an open class and got whoooped and laughed at and given some mean but true nickname regarding excessive contact with the boards. Kindness helps out in a big way, because the hardcore guys would race with earmuffs and blinders, but the new guy needs a hand.

good luck guys

10-15 $ is cheep! I pay 20-40$ just for a day of practice track time. Race days are never under 50! Even with that cost the good fun and friends makes it worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.