Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree27Likes

Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 Race Spec

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by illmatic94

yes there are 2 screws that need to be adjust . However how do you access them ? My clutch doesn’t move freely in the hub it sits in
If everything is correct, you can acess it normally, through the hole. If it is blocked then something isn't correct, the needs to be gap between the shoes and the housing. I'd disassemble it and assemble again.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone know if the Kyosho buggy’s or other Kyosho kits have interchange drivestrains? Particularly the diff
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Diff

gt2 is based on mp7.5 and 777. I believe the diff are interchangeable ( center drive shafts are not) . From what I read on rctech gt3 is based on mp9 which has lighter , bigger off-set diff and it is not compatible with older generations.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cup racer
gt2 is based on mp7.5 and 777. I believe the diff are interchangeable ( center drive shafts are not) . From what I read on rctech gt3 is based on mp9 which has lighter , bigger off-set diff and it is not compatible with older generations.
thank you . Just a little disappointed seeing a diff with non straight cut gears. First Kyosho I’ve ever had
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Soo I see Kyosho had a high speed gear set (40/46t) set up for this kit. However I purchased it and the 2nd gear is a completely different design where as the 2nd speed hub doesn’t mount at all. What am I missing?
Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Soo I see Kyosho had a high speed gear set (40/46t) set up for this kit. However I purchased it and the 2nd gear is a completely different design where as the 2nd speed hub doesn’t mount at all. What am I missing?
You've entered 'the Twilight Zone' ! The early GT trans had the 40/46 gears with a really fun shift compared to the 43/46. The early trans had the 'sling finger' that catches the 'bump' inside the early 2d gear. The newer '2 shoe' trans design can't fit a 40/46 setup because of the diameter required for the '2 shoe' assembly.

If you go 'retro' to the old trans, you'll find the 'curse' that goes with the 'slingfinger'......you had to monitor and better yet, CHANGE to new gear before your final 'Main' or the gear would be beaten to death and you'd lose 2d gear shift before you could get on the podium !!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
You've entered 'the Twilight Zone' ! The early GT trans had the 40/46 gears with a really fun shift compared to the 43/46. The early trans had the 'sling finger' that catches the 'bump' inside the early 2d gear. The newer '2 shoe' trans design can't fit a 40/46 setup because of the diameter required for the '2 shoe' assembly.

If you go 'retro' to the old trans, you'll find the 'curse' that goes with the 'slingfinger'......you had to monitor and better yet, CHANGE to new gear before your final 'Main' or the gear would be beaten to death and you'd lose 2d gear shift before you could get on the podium !!
well ... between this new found knowledge and who ever smart idea it was to not have straight cut diff gears. I think I’m ready to change platforms ...
Old 04-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

well ... between this new found knowledge and who ever smart idea it was to not have straight cut diff gears. I think I’m ready to change platforms ...

I hadn't had my hands on my Kyosho in a while but that struck me strange that you had issue with the diff gears. I had never seen the need to change to the straight cut ring or pinion. Others had that I knew of. So, I said wait....I remember those.

I found the reference #s........Kyosho 43T straight cut hard ring gear KYOIS117 ($41.99)
Kyosho 10T hard pinion gear KYOIS118 ($18.99)
Kyosho type D ('hard') bulkhead KYOIF112D ($10.99)

These were found at AMain Hobbies. Shipping is about $2 'Per' but I'm not sure if you can't ask for 'throw them in the same box' price.

The GT/GT2/7.5/777 shows 'compatible' with those parts as in same as SST Buggy that used the 10T pinion opposed to GT 13T in the diff. Your tradeoff will be more 'dig' from start and taller top end if you use that 40/46 gearing. I found it a bit useless trying that against the Serpents when they came out because I was still trying to get it 'whooaaed down' while they were turning the corner and ....'GONE'. (I didn't notice reference to 'hard' 13T pinion)

I found the new '2 shoe trans' with 43/46 to be fine and a lot less maintenance by not having to babysit the 'slingfinger gearkiller' original GT trans. Like I said, I only used the 'bevel cut diff gears' and never had an issue. I think I saw where you had 'off road' vehicles and must have had harder environment on the diffs.

Remember that the GT/GT2/7.5/777/SST/SSTR diffs don't mix with the GT3/MP9 animal.

For your racing success you'll need to tame the evil 'caster'. Much easier now with the new aluminum carriers that show compatibility between the GT>>>>>>>GT3. (I didn't write that # down but they're at AMain for ~$74.)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timjs
I'm going to try the evolva/gt mix on gt bell. It should work assuming the evolva gear threads onto the gt2 bell.
Cool pics
hey were you able to try this out, I’m looking for more gearing options for my gt2 as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default Transmission...

Originally Posted by Philly basher

hey were you able to try this out, I’m looking for more gearing options for my gt2 as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Since this is a 'semi-priceless' museum peace it's okay to display with gears my son stripped!! 😎

Say 'thanks to Mika and Jeff' Only about a half dozen peeps will even know what this BEAST is. (and 👍for Leon) 😎

Real brakes!! Need ony 1 setup.

The 'BlackHawk Inferno Transmission' used Evolva spur gears. The '2 shoe' design won't accept the '40 tooth'.....'fast' spur because of the required diameter for the '2 shoe clutch'. The transmission shafts were 'custom made' and the assembly had to be 'McGyvered' a bit to place front bearing carrier because of about a 2mm increase in overall length. It was usually solved by drilling chassis to put screws into 'meaty' center of front bearing carrier...between original outer mount holes.
(picture of transmission is 'as cannibalized' and not 'pretty version' at time of photo)

I was never able to get one of the 'limited batch' of 'special shafts' from the 'clandestine labs'.....until my son bought one of the original prototypes. When he gave up 'on road' I snarfed the car.....KNOWING WHAT THAT TRANSMISSION WAS !!!!

The picture of the brake mod is what allowed micro adjustments to greatly improve performance/fight brake fade and improve cooling for the 45min/hour mains. The brake bolt holes were redrilled to let 30mm smooth shank bolts....cut to 24mm 'float'. 'Ballpoint pen springs' (prior to other GT manufacturers making them an 'item' allow proper freedom of assembly and thus 'adjustability.
MikaR likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Newbie here with Kyosho Inferno GT2 Nitro Dodge Demon

Hello I am new here and just purchased the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Dodge Challenger SRT DEMON, 1/8 Scale Nitro Powered 4WD. My question is do I have to cut holes in the windshield area to help cool the motor? I saw on youtube there was one running on a track and there was a hole cut out in the windshield and the side windows and back were cut open. What do I use in cutting the holes and cutting out the sides and back?
Thank you for your help!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracer440wed
Hello I am new here and just purchased the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Dodge Challenger SRT DEMON, 1/8 Scale Nitro Powered 4WD. My question is do I have to cut holes in the windshield area to help cool the motor? I saw on youtube there was one running on a track and there was a hole cut out in the windshield and the side windows and back were cut open. What do I use in cutting the holes and cutting out the sides and back?
Thank you for your help!
you can cut holes for more airflow to the engine if you’d like. Either way you should check your temps to make sure not overheating, but if u have a decent smoke trail & consistent idle your temps should be ok. You can cut the body with thesehttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F381004389775
Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Philly basher THANK YOU!!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Default .21 9 port

sooo I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t get large gearing for my Lrp .32 and this engine doesn’t like to sing at high rpm. Has anyone had a luck with a 1/8gt onroad engine in this kit before?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

sooo I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t get large gearing for my Lrp .32 and this engine doesn’t like to sing at high rpm. Has anyone had a luck with a 1/8gt onroad engine in this kit before?
Lots of guys not required to use the 'legal' 3/4/5 port/7mm intake have run the 7 and 9 ports but you'll be cautioned to change to 'off road' head for cooling or make sure to get enough air to the engine..
7 and 9 ports can pull a little more top end on straights but unless you can get it 'whoaed down' with super brakes, the 3/4/5 port engines have the infield 'grunt' advantage and playing field gets 'leveled' anyway.

The 40/46 ratio in the old trans was fun but only for 'top end'. Early brakes couldn't get the beast 'whoaed down' and my 'shift point' always hit at a bad moment when approaching 'apex' and pushed car too far into corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.