R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Looking for a nitro car need help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/62950-looking-nitro-car-need-help.html)

racer034life 02-13-2005 10:57 PM

I can see that but i dont have 400 just got a chassis. Plus this is my first ever nitro touring car so I am not really trying to go pro but maybe just keep up with the field or stay mid pack for a while in tell i get my driving skill up.

racer034life 02-16-2005 08:11 PM

OK so I was at my LHS today and a few guys walked in. one had a FW-05RR and the other had a Ntc3. Both said there cars where good but i say that the ntc3 had some easy ways to tune the car so did the FW but I have heard that you have to mod the Fw to fit foams is this true and man this really sucks i cant think of what car i want.

Rapid Roy 02-17-2005 11:45 AM

If you are trying to get the price of the kit down you might be looking at it the wrong way. I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of race experiance. If so, then you want to get a car that is strong, easy to set up, and parts are cheap and easy to get. I have a Serpent 705 and 2 HPI r40s. I had the Serpent before I got the R40's. In one race, I crashed and broke the rear shock tower, rear arm and the front knuckle. I also bent one of the pivot balls. It cost me over $80 to get the car back together. Another time I was practicing at the track and broke 3 front knuckles. (you'd think I'd learn a bit faster) At $12 per knuckle it ads up fast. If I broke the same parts on the R40, it would have cost me 1/3 for the parts.

I happen to like the R40, but you can make your own choice. Just find a strong car with plentiful cheap parts and you'll be set.

Neil 02-18-2005 09:12 PM

The NTC3 is a very solid platform to start from. You should have no trouble getting parts either.

FW-05RR 02-18-2005 09:53 PM

Re: Looking for a nitro car need help

Originally posted by racer034life
I just got my pro 2 about 4 months ago and i like it alot. But i wanted to know what would be a good nitro chassis. I have seen the hpi R40 and the trinty reflex but i dont know which one i would want. if possible can you all give me some good and some bads about these to chassis.
thank you

look at my sig

there is your answer:nod:

subman 02-18-2005 11:51 PM

I would go with the NTC3 great all round car very competative, great parts availability (sp) and fairly cheap to buy.

racer034life 02-19-2005 01:13 AM

yea i am down between the R40 and the Ntc3 so we will see i have found a few Ntc3 for sale in my price rang so i may just go with that one i do want to see how the Ntc3 runs on foam tires.
But since the R40 is some what easy to put to gether like all HPI cars and there parts are carried almost every where it woundt be a bad choice. Also the R4o was made to handle the foam so we will see

subman 02-19-2005 07:21 AM

Foams?

I have only run foams on my NTC3.
It works great with foams!

Car Breaker 02-20-2005 10:44 PM

Originally posted by racer034life
yea i am down between the R40 and the Ntc3 so we will see i have found a few Ntc3 for sale in my price rang so i may just go with that one i do want to see how the Ntc3 runs on foam tires.
But since the R40 is some what easy to put to gether like all HPI cars and there parts are carried almost every where it woundt be a bad choice. Also the R4o was made to handle the foam so we will see

In my Opinion, NTC3 is better, easier to maintain, tolerance in engine chioce. most important, better material, R40 isn't that good in their plastic parts and their screws sucks. it is true that R40 is easy to tune and drive but other thing is just not as good as NTC3

racer034life 02-20-2005 10:52 PM

cool cool will looks like i will be getting a nitro tc3 as soon as possible

SpeedChair 02-21-2005 11:17 AM

I really suggest you go to the local track and see what most guys are running. If no one is running NTC3, then they won't be able to help you much on setups.

One of the best cars out there is still the Mugen MTX-3, durable, easy to tune, and VERY competitive.

Also, make sure your local hobby shops has parts availability for the car you're planning to buy. Not a major issue since there's so many online shops you can buy from.

Rapid Roy 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Car Breaker
In my Opinion, NTC3 is better, easier to maintain, tolerance in engine chioce. most important, better material, R40 isn't that good in their plastic parts and their screws sucks. it is true that R40 is easy to tune and drive but other thing is just not as good as NTC3
Not sure where you get your information, but the plastic in the R40 is top notch. To post that the plastic sucks is just not true.

When you say the screws suck, I'm assuming that you are refering to the fact the HPI uses phillips head screws instead of hex head screws. I have a Yokomo, and a Serpent along with my R40 and various older HPI cars. You just need a good quility philips head screw driver and its not a problem. More of a personal choice.

caleracer45 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

I am also looking to get a nitro car for the 1st time, I'm a Associated guy I was just wondering, How competive are the RTR NTC? Or would I be better for just getting of the kit. I know the kits are better but how much better?

Rapid Roy 02-21-2005 01:31 PM

Originally posted by caleracer45
I am also looking to get a nitro car for the 1st time, I'm a Associated guy I was just wondering, How competive are the RTR NTC? Or would I be better for just getting of the kit. I know the kits are better but how much better?
The kits usually have upgraded parts. If you have been racing electric for a while, you are probably going to be better off with a team kit. Buying the kit along with the hopups is way cheaper then getting the rtr and upgrading later. If you are still new to rc racing in general, then the RTR may be a good choice, especially if your money is limited.

caleracer45 02-21-2005 01:50 PM

Yeah I figured that buy the factory team kit would probably be cheaper in the long run, rather than having to buy everything to get a RTR race competive.